Chain jumping/slipping under load

hobbes748

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2017
East of Scotland
The teeth are the same shape on the top gear when new. You said it was jumping on all the gears, didn't you:
View attachment 21231
Hey d8vey,

It jumped on all the gears I used (7-9 mostly). 7 sometimes, 8 a bit more, 9 constantly (unless cruising downhill)

As for how it looks, it doesn't look quite the same as this shiny new one.

On 9th gear, the teeth look more 'pointy' than on your picture and they've got rough/jaggy/burred edges. It also looks a bit weird as 4 of the teeth have been rubbed from black to shiny metal - the next 2 are still black - the next 3 are shiny - the next 2 are black.

On 8th it looks mostly brand new (as it flippin' should) - only a couple of teeth look a bit like 9th.

On 7th I can't see anything wrong.

If you'd like it to try, study or just for spares just PM me your address and I'll send it over. I've no use for it and I'm just so glad that my new bike is actually working properly now.

Thanks again

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
I see nothing wrong with the cassette or the sprocket...nor should there be after 300 miles. I'm surprised they didn't change the chain at the same time as the cassette as this is the usual practice in that a partly worn chain may give trouble with a new cassette.
It's a pity that you tend to use the small sprocket for most of the time as being small the sprocket will wear more quickly. A larger chain-ring would mitigate this and allow more use of the other sprockets increasing the life of the cassette.
Let's hope it does the trick and you have no more problems.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the 11 or 12t does wear because it is use most often then they can be bought singularly to simply replace.

D

Deleted member 4366

The teeth on the gears are not the same shape. You get conventional sprocket shaped ones, shark tooth ones and anything in between. Look at the tooth at 5 o'clock on the top sprocket, then look at the D marking next to it on the next one down, then at the two teeth either side of the D on the third sprocket. Compare them with the two adjacent teeth on the 4th sprocket. When you look closely, you'll see there's different shaped teeth all over the place. I used to sell these on Ebay, and guys used to tell me that I had sent them used ones or that they were faulty because of the strange-shaped teeth.

• Informative
Reactions: Emo Rider

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
The teeth on the gears are not the same shape. You get conventional sprocket shaped ones, shark tooth ones and anything in between. Look at the tooth at 5 o'clock on the top sprocket, then look at the D marking next to it on the next one down, then at the two teeth either side of the D on the third sprocket. Compare them with the two adjacent teeth on the 4th sprocket. When you look closely, you'll see there's different shaped teeth all over the place. I used to sell these on Ebay, and guys used to tell me that I had sent them used ones or that they were faulty because of the strange-shaped teeth.
Shimano tells us that these different shaped teeth aid the gear-shifting in some way.
I know little or nothing about e-bikes but I take it that having a mid-engined bike means increased wear on the transmission parts?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Shimano tells us that these different shaped teeth aid the gear-shifting in some way.
I know little or nothing about e-bikes but I take it that having a mid-engined bike means increased wear on the transmission parts?
I have close to 2,500 miles on my Sduro Trekking. The original chain, cassette and chainrings are all still in great shape. I attribute this to a good maintenence schedule and the way I shift under power. I always ease up on the pedal pressure as the chain is moving from gear to gear. It took quite awhile to master this but it is paying dividends in reduced maintenance costs. Now if you were one that is using your bike hard underpower and not letting up, one should expect their drive train to wear more quickly. I certainly am not the athlete I use to be. I would have loved to have the types of Emtb's then we have today. I probably would have been chewing up a lot of drive train components.

Safe journeys all :)

• Agree
Reactions: Hugh

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Glad your bike back in shape hobbes..tis a royal pita tryin suss out whats going on with em ..sometimes...