Charging electric cars

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This all goes back to how we learned to drive using the tech of the day. My first car was a ford Pop with the side valve engine and 3 speed box.. so can you imagine one of todays snowflakes trying to drive one? Rolling up to a roundabout, declutch and go straight into first gear? Crunch Crunch.
Years ago I commuted from the Dunstable Downs to Epsom every day for a couple of years in one of those. Foot to the floor flat out every trip, but it never let me down.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Someone gave us one when we were students at design school. After checking we found someone had emptied a bag of sugar into the petrol tank (ah the days when filler caps weren't locked...) so it being a quiet sunday afternoon we cleaned the tank and rebuilt the carburetor. We towed it down to the petrol station filled it and inflated the tyres and headed for the beach.

It was an Australian 103E so older than any of us :)

Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Someone gave us one when we were students at design school. After checking we found someone had emptied a bag of sugar into the petrol tank (ah the days when filler caps weren't locked...) so it being a quiet sunday afternoon we cleaned the tank and rebuilt the carburetor. We towed it down to the petrol station filled it and inflated the tyres and headed for the beach.

It was an Australian 103E so older than any of us :)
And look how far we have come.
http://www.fleetpoint.org/fleet-industry-news/news-by-date/first-delivery-new-nissan-leaf/

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Weird fire that didn't burn the tyres?
Indeed, especially when we have seen the damage done by a small bike battery fire.. Does this suggest that the battery didnt ignite? For those that didnt see the program the crash happened after the race and wasn't filmed by the crew so was picked up from YouTube vids shot by spectators. It does look to be well on fire tho..
Screenshot 2018-02-02 11.40.42.png

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed, especially when we have seen the damage done by a small bike battery fire.. Does this suggest that the battery didnt ignite?]
Hard to say, but my suspicions were aroused. I've seen a very large number of car fire outcomes, since for a couple of decades around here the theft of cars for joyriding and then setting them alight was a recognised youth sporting activity. I was one of those taking part in the removal of the wreckages from three nature reserves.

In all but one case the cars were upright so the fire mostly above wheel level, but the tyres were invariably fully burnt out with nothing of them left. Here all four tyres are alongside or above the fire but appear virtually untouched. Even after counting the fact that no petrol was present, that seems almost impossible.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hard to say, but my suspicions were aroused. I've seen a very large number of car fire outcomes, since for a couple of decades around here the theft of cars for joyriding and then setting them alight was a recognised youth sporting activity. I was one of those taking part in the removal of the wreckages from three nature reserves.

In all but one case the cars were upright so the fire mostly above wheel level, but the tyres were invariably fully burnt out with nothing of them left. Here all four tyres are alongside or above the fire but appear virtually untouched. Even after counting the fact that no petrol was present, that seems almost impossible.
normal car fires include petrol which unlike a battery doesnt stay in one place. a fuel tank exploding would spread burning petrol over a wider area igniting anything it touches.. Not sure how a big battery would burn, if in fact it did ignite in this case..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
normal car fires include petrol which unlike a battery doesnt stay in one place. a fuel tank exploding would spread burning petrol over a wider area igniting anything it touches.. Not sure how a big battery would burn, if in fact it did ignite in this case..
I've mentioned the petrol absence element, but this still doesn't make sense. Just look at the wheels at the front of the photo. The rear one on its side is up against a part of the car that's been severely buckled and destroyed into unrecognisability by fire, but that hasn't even melted the tread pattern on the tyre.

The front one is similarly right next to a badly burnt area of the car but appears untouched.

When it comes to publicity seeking showbiz types I'm always a cynic.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If it was a Li-Ion battery fire they tend to have flames that shoot out of the battery box through the vents sort of like a flame thrower. In the photo of the Tesla higher up you can see the flames aren't touching the rear of the car. I think the passengers may have left the doors open when they escaped so the battery fire has spread to the interior but the boot and rear tyres are intact.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That's completely out of date now with the Leaf 2 new model about to start deliveries. The old 24 and recent 30 kWh batteries are out, the new one being 40kWh. Ranges actual and possible are now:

Theoretical in ideal circumstances with great care = 235 miles

Realistic in Summer = 180 miles

Realistic in Winter = 120 miles

The winter drop is stated to be almost entirely due to the loss of battery efficiency in the cold. The car's heat pump for warmth doesn't use much power.

On affordability the Leaf isn't top now, the large battery models with sufficient spec. from £24,000 up including batteries.

Renault's Zoe is also available with a 41 kWh battery and similar ranges, priced at just over £23,000 with similar spec., including the battery. However, as an established model the Zoe is available with big discounts. Yesterday I got these offers on the Zoe i-Dynamique Nav mid range model from nearby Renault dealers through CarWow:

2 miles away = £18,365

5 miles away = £17,629

9 miles away = £19313

12 miles away = £17,749

The non i models are also available much cheaper (about £5000 less) but battery rented on monthly payments. All quoted prices are after deducting the government grant.

P.S. The information on the Leaf in AnotherKiwi's link is out of date, the old 30kWh model.
The launch of the new Nissan Leaf has caused me to look again at electric cars. Cost, range and battery life being the main factors which have put me off buying one.

Initial cost is moving toward a point where I am interested.

Range is better & probably ok for > 80% of my journeys.

Battery life? I’m not sure and don’t really know how much a new 40 KWH battery will cost.

For me to invest in electric cars, there has to be a saving and I think the battery life / depreciation could wipe out any money saved.

From a purely financial point of view, I think it’s better to continue burning diesel and petrol. So I’ve decided that is what I will do. In the future, the differential may diminish due to either cheaper & better batteries or increased taxation on ICE powered vehicles. I’ll review again in a couple of years time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Battery life? I’m not sure and don’t really know how much a new 40 KWH battery will cost.

For me to invest in electric cars, there has to be a saving and I think the battery life / depreciation could wipe out any money saved.
Going by the Zoe, a 40 kWh battery will cost some £5000 to replace.

The Leaf battery is warrantied for 8 years to 75 % capacity minimum. No other details at present.

Renault have a mixed battery picture since they commonly rent as well as sell batteries and rental is the best bet.

With rental the car costs £5000 less, so as little as under £13000 to buy one. Rental starts at £45 a month for a 4500 miles per annum user, but that incudes 8 year warranty to minimum 75% capacity. Any drop below that capacity in the term and they instantly replace the battery with a new one.

Things aren't so good when buying the battery, the warranty is only 5 years to 65% minimum capacity before they'll replace.

The e-car warranties are good though, typically 8 years and 100,000 miles, so much better than ic cars ones. In fact Renault have just dropped their ic car warranties by a year from 4 years, but have also greatly reduced the annual servicing costs to £99 each. They say this change isn't due to greater warranty costs but reflects user patterns better. It seems so many change their ic cars by three years that warranty claims in the fourth year were extremely rare.

• Informative
Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
So about 12p per mile plus the cost of electricity. I'm not sure how that compares to the petrol equivilant.
Our 2.0 litre Golf Bluemotion covers about 10000 miles per year. Without looking I reckon I put about £80 to £90 worth of diesel in it per month, road tax £20 a year. If the battery rental is £45/month per 4500 miles per year plus the electricity charge (quite small I know, but a factor), the savings are not evident. That’s without the inconvenience of charging and the anxiety of effectively constantly driving around with the diesel gauge 1/4 full, or less. I can’t make a case for switching to electricity.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our 2.0 litre Golf Bluemotion covers about 10000 miles per year. Without looking I reckon I put about £80 to £90 worth of diesel in it per month, road tax £20 a year. If the battery rental is £45/month per 4500 miles per year plus the electricity charge (quite small I know, but a factor), the savings are not evident. That’s without the inconvenience of charging and the anxiety of effectively constantly driving around with the diesel gauge 1/4 full, or less. I can’t make a case for switching to electricity.
I don't think there is any economic case for a e-car, buying one is mainly an environmental decision, though they do have some very beguiling characteristics when driving. That's especially true if most driving is done in urban and suburban situations.

Of course the environmental decisions will be progressively enforced on us, in London it's already started.

P.S. Monthly battery rental on the Renault Zoe is up slightly now:

Annual Mileage, ZE40 battery,

<4,500. .
6,000. . 7,500 , , 9,000. . 10,500.. Unlimited^

. . £59 . . . . .£69 . . . ... £79 . . . . .£89 . . . . . . .£99 . . . . . .£110

Last edited:

Advertisers