Charging electric cars

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I bought the Leaf, Nissan and the government were running a grant to help new owners have home charging installed.

Cost me something like £150 to have the 7kwh charger installed.

The 3pin plug charging is still an option, if you don't need to charge the battery quickly.
Both the Leaf and the Zoe now come with the home charger installation free, a big step forward.

And the Leaf charger is now 6.6 kWh as standard, the 3.3 kWh one is no longer supplied.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In fact Renault have just dropped their ic car warranties by a year from 4 years, but have also greatly reduced the annual servicing costs to £99 each. They say this change isn't due to greater warranty costs but reflects user patterns better. It seems so many change their ic cars by three years that warranty claims in the fourth year were extremely rare.
If claims were so rare, it would cost them next to nothing to maintain that extra year. And they would continue to look good for offering it. I suspect the number of claims and costs to them are higher than they are admitting.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Both the Leaf and the Zoe now come with the home charger installation free, a big step forward.
Which reminds me of one reason I didn't go down the electric route when I last bought a car. They offered a home charger, not now sure about installation cost, but I was anticipating moving house. They were unwilling to even consider a deferred home charger installation, or a second installation in the new house, yet insisted I had to have one installed.

We need home chargers to be common across all vehicles. Whether we buy a house with one fitted, or have two electric vehicles, or wish to allow guests to charge their vehicles, or we simply change our cars. We don't want low-rate universal chargers and high-rate vehicle-specific chargers.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
6.6 kWh is the most you will get in a domestic supply, regardless of manufacturer.

Once you have the charger installed, it wouldn't be that difficult to have the lead changed to a different type ( dependant on the different manufacturers configuration plugs).

There is no one single plug connection across different manufacturers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If claims were so rare, it would cost them next to nothing to maintain that extra year. And they would continue to look good for offering it. I suspect the number of claims and costs to them are higher than they are admitting.
I thought the same, but there's no doubt reducing the annual service to just £99 is a welcome reduction. Franchised dealers are usually dearer.

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We need home chargers to be common across all vehicles. Whether we buy a house with one fitted, or have two electric vehicles, or wish to allow guests to charge their vehicles, or we simply change our cars. We don't want low-rate universal chargers and high-rate vehicle-specific chargers.
It's taking a while. The type one that Nissan use is on the way out in favour of most using type 2, but the Americans and some others are pushing for the CCS type to be standard.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
6.6 kWh is the most you will get in a domestic supply, regardless of manufacturer.
That could change though, the old 60 amp fused 12 kW feed to homes has been replaced by 100 amp 22 kW new installation supplies now.

Once you have the charger installed, it wouldn't be that difficult to have the lead changed to a different type ( dependant on the different manufacturers configuration plugs).
They don't have to be tethered lead though. Today's home chargers can be untethered so users can use their own lead that they have in their car.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Yes, we have the untethered lead fitted on our charger.

There is also an app available to share the domestic charge points as well, handy if someone has a bit of an unexpected range .

Simply contact the nearest shared home charge individual to help them out.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
Just bit the bullet today and ordered an n connecta version of the 40kwh leaf,
Can charge for free at work, home will be more difficult as I live in a courtyard so will be an extension jobby

Reactions: Denis99

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just bit the bullet today and ordered an n connecta version of the 40kwh leaf,
Can charge for free at work, home will be more difficult as I live in a courtyard so will be an extension jobby
Ha! Took a Leaf for a test drive on Saturday. Was rather more impressed than I expected. Non-cost issues included...

Pluses:
Very, very quiet.
Performed very well.
Comfortable.
Decent capacity.

Minuses:
We'd really like a sunroof or panoramic glass - or combo.
Interior too dark (and no significantly light offerings).
A/C not dual zone.
Bigger than we need.
Because it was so quiet, the fan noise remained intrusive when in most cars it would be drowned by engine and tyre noise!

Sutty86

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2017
Skipton
I took one out friday,been umming and arrrhhhhh all weekend and was going to buy a phev but found I could charge by 3 pin by the house and did that maths.
Opted for the n connecta because allegedly the other models are a 6 month wait where the n connector is 3 months

• Agree

Advertisers