Charging laptop battery to 80%?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Apart from possibly causing a drop in total pack performance, do unbalanced cells cause any other problems, such as damage to other cells?

D

Deleted member 4366

No, it's only the capacity that I can think of, but you lose it on all cells, not just the one that's out of balance.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Big thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. The decision I have made is to charge to 80%, then once a month charge to 100%, just in case the charging system isn't as fancy as I'd like.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The battery on my lenovo laptop has lost a lot of capacity after abiut 4 years so only runs for about 30 to 40 minutes. As well as that it is slow and lethargic especially since it did a windows 10 upgrade.
Best option?
Buy a new one!
It runs for up to 16 hours so I just charge it when it gets to 25% or so.
It is blistering fast and boots up in 5 seconds so I now wonder why I put up with the lenovo for so long.
The longer you wait to upgrade the more impressive the jump in technology is!

D

Deleted member 4366

Yup, it's only money, which is basically a number on a piece of paper (screen if you're paperless).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
My old lenovo had a boot energizer thing and booted up in about 50 seconds when new, but lately was 4 or 5 minutes and if you tried to edit video it showed the wheely roundy thing for ages so what with that and the battery issue it had to go.

D

Deleted member 4366

Video killed the radio star. It also killed many old laptops when 1080P came out. Now that we have 4k, they have no chance - great for Tetris though, and Freecell.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My old lenovo had a boot energizer thing and booted up in about 50 seconds when new, but lately was 4 or 5 minutes and if you tried to edit video it showed the wheely roundy thing for ages so what with that and the battery issue it had to go.
If you remove all the additional add on programs virus checkers, quick boot options printer drivers for old non functioning printers etc you have got and reinstall the original software it will be just as fast or slow as it was originally.
The biggest boost to performance for an aging laptop is to increase the memory to the fullest allowed, then it is to replace the hard drive with a solid state one , after you have done these, the last thing is to take it out of service and use it as a Kodi box.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you remove all the additional add on programs virus checkers, quick boot options printer drivers for old non functioning printers etc you have got and reinstall the original software it will be just as fast or slow as it was originally.
The biggest boost to performance for an aging laptop is to increase the memory to the fullest allowed, then it is to replace the hard drive with a solid state one , after you have done these, the last thing is to take it out of service and use it as a Kodi box.
Having had the windows 10 sort of forced/tricked upon me, I tried to reset to the original windows 7 but it was no longer an option and like all this stuff it didn't come with a disc. It did have a partitioned bit with the OS on but that had vanished as well.System Restore gave me the option of a fresh windows 10 but having installed it it refused to boot up. Auto repair kicked in but that couldn't fix it either, so having spent some hours messing with it, tethered to the mains like a pre Gtech Vacuum because of the dud battery, I decided that enough is enough and retired it to the loft. If I can get it working it will do for my BKool in the winter.
So bought a shiny new HP laptop that doubles as a tablet when you turn it inside out.. (I like shiny new things which is why I dont have much money)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The recent heat wave didn't do much good to my PC so I am looking at MBs again, this one will be the fourth to go in the case since 2003 so one every 4 years 8 months or so.

hush0005L.jpg

hush went bankrupt a while back because these things were very expensive and didn't sell very well. The case is carved out of a chunk of aluminium and the original MB (VIA) and its replacement used a heat pump connected to the big radiator on the right. No ventilator although I did have an expansion slot one when we moved to the south west. First thing to die was the CD R/W replaced by the current external firewire one. Then the power supply packed it in so now there is a pico-itx 80 W. Looking at an ASRock quad core MB and drilling ventilation holes in the lid like the more recent versions of the case had. I might fit a slim slot-in blueray drive for convenience, I am already on my second SSD... Mine is black of course, the silver ones were made to blend in with the hi-fi in the living room.

Back before sky changed satellites there was a Digital TV card in mine hooked up to a motorised satellite dish and I used to watch feeview...

Cost wise the whole computer comes to less than 200 € / year including replacement bits and add ons.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The recent heat wave didn't do much good to my PC so I am looking at MBs again, this one will be the fourth to go in the case since 2003 so one every 4 years 8 months or so.

View attachment 20020

hush went bankrupt a while back because these things were very expensive and didn't sell very well. The case is carved out of a chunk of aluminium and the original MB (VIA) and its replacement used a heat pump connected to the big radiator on the right. No ventilator although I did have an expansion slot one when we moved to the south west. First thing to die was the CD R/W replaced by the current external firewire one. Then the power supply packed it in so now there is a pico-itx 80 W. Looking at an ASRock quad core MB and drilling ventilation holes in the lid like the more recent versions of the case had. I might fit a slim slot-in blueray drive for convenience, I am already on my second SSD... Mine is black of course, the silver ones were made to blend in with the hi-fi in the living room.

Back before sky changed satellites there was a Digital TV card in mine hooked up to a motorised satellite dish and I used to watch feeview...

Cost wise the whole computer comes to less than 200 € / year including replacement bits and add ons.
A lot of this goes over my head.. but is there such a thing as a wifi dvd writer?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
From what I read it has its own network. I wouldn't use one myself when it comes to reading and writing media I only trust wired connections...

Advertisers