Clueless

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Did an ebike conversion a very long time ago before kits were easily available. Anyway, that's ancient history. Was going to do a conversion last year but gave up waiting for stock.

Looking again. I was thinking not worth the hassle and just buy a ready built bike but tbh that could just be even more hassle. Lack of parts, discontinued parts etc. I am vaguely considering a Halfords Crossfuse (no DIY electrical parts but some hope of repair if needs be). Nowhere near me has them for test rides which isn't great. I have some steep hill like Cheddar Gorge 16% in places and my old bafang front hub managed it, but read some reports the Bosch ALP might struggle? I'm prepared to put in a moderate effort myself.

I have ruled out all pre-built hub drive bikes I think due to serviceability - with exception of a Whoosh Gram Camino as good customer service and parts.

I think I'm just going to go back to my original plan and put a Whoosh kit on my 25 year old MTB.

It does feel like despite the high prices for ebikes, getting a quality product with good customer service is still very hit and miss. Having a pile of landfill after 24 months isn't very environmentally friendly, sadly I think that is a real risk with many options.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Did an ebike conversion a very long time ago before kits were easily available. Anyway, that's ancient history. Was going to do a conversion last year but gave up waiting for stock.

Looking again. I was thinking not worth the hassle and just buy a ready built bike but tbh that could just be even more hassle. Lack of parts, discontinued parts etc. I am vaguely considering a Halfords Crossfuse (no DIY electrical parts but some hope of repair if needs be). Nowhere near me has them for test rides which isn't great. I have some steep hill like Cheddar Gorge 16% in places and my old bafang front hub managed it, but read some reports the Bosch ALP might struggle? I'm prepared to put in a moderate effort myself.

I have ruled out all pre-built hub drive bikes I think due to serviceability - with exception of a Whoosh Gram Camino as good customer service and parts.

I think I'm just going to go back to my original plan and put a Whoosh kit on my 25 year old MTB.

It does feel like despite the high prices for ebikes, getting a quality product with good customer service is still very hit and miss. Having a pile of landfill after 24 months isn't very environmentally friendly, sadly I think that is a real risk with many options.
Btw, I am a bit confused at why the crossfuse would struggle on hills, sure, the gearing isn't that low but in its lowest gear with a high assist mode I would think it would romp up if I put in reasonable effort. Would be interested in what others think about derailleur based Bosch active line plus bikes and hills?

• Agree
Reactions: cyclebuddy

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I have some steep hill like Cheddar Gorge 16% in places and my old bafang front hub managed it, but read some reports the Bosch ALP might struggle?
I don't agree at all. With the effort you're prepared to put in, I'd suggest an ALP will be fine because the gearing is working with you whereas on your old hub-drive it wasn't. I've cycled the Strawberry Line and then around Cheddar Gorge with my Bafang crank-drive (80nm) which I managed fine (really enjoyed) and I'm not in the least fit... but I'd have no hesitation doing that with my TranzX crank bike (60nm) which is more an equivalent with the ALP. A crank drive with variable gearing and not too much human effort tackles just about anything I've ever encountered on a road, even if I'm occasionally in granny gear and spinning a bit faster than I normally would.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
If you whack a kit on your mtb it will be up and running within a couple of hours. Then you are not tied down to manufacturer specific parts when things need replacing. And you can easily unlock extra potential later if needs or wants arise.

Or you can just pick and choose a suitable motor, controller and compatible display and hot rod it right from the get go.

The Woosh kits look good value.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The hill climbing ability of a lower end mid drive can be improved by upgrading the drive train to give lower bottom gear. If you buy and are disappointed then wait until you need a new cassette and chain and go to 11 or 12 speed with a 50 or 51T low gear.

I've gone from 11-36 to 11-51 with 38T chainring for 40% extra! Makes a world of difference, and at about £150 including several chains, not stupid money either.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh are always good value as one isn't left in the lurch, they will back you up with great CS and spares , like Wisper and a few other unfamilair brands unknown to the public.

One tend sto get what they pay for a decent kit is going to be £600 from a good vendor, if you know aht you are doing you can put a kit together from china a little cheaper, but tbh not by £100's.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
A decision has been made (subject to approval by management - actually, I think I'll ask for forgiveness this time).

I have settled on a TDSZ2 kit. There is a minor complication in that I have a slightly odd and crappy BB shell. It's 73mm but that includes a plate on the drivetrain side for the front derailleur (yes, the derailleur is partially secured by the bottom bracket. If I remove this plate the shell is maybe 69.5mm. I think the kit would tighten up just dandy (works with 68mm BB) but chainring will be offset and closer to the rear wheel stays. I can see that spacers are available, might need to go down this route. I can't just leave the plate in place as it is shipped and will for sure tangle with the chainring. A hacksaw would fix it but rust and trouble ever trying to refit a front derailleur again should I ever wish.

I'll send a pic to Whoosh bit I'm confident it will all come good.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Btw, started looking again as Halfords have an Easter sale on, and it looked like I could also get blue light card discount and maybe even tcb - so a fair discount.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Whats your budget ?

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
No fixed budget, but I'm careful with money. I certainly could not justify a 'premium' mid drive bike. Might be able to justify the crossfuse on sale for £1600 with discounts. However, less than half that for a TSDZ2 kit feels the best bet. Easy'ish to service, not attractive to steal, already got a crappy old but serviceable bike that I use regularly. I don't really drive but I also don't commute so it is for getting me about locally for leisure in my hilly rural community. People are usually very good at driving me about but I like to make some effort. Mainly use the bike for getting to / from caving huts and pub and a dig. Plans to go further afield, a friend has a personal gym that a few folks meet up at but it's a fair way off and a big hill on the way back to get from Somerset levels to on top of Mendip.

I know, why use the private gym when I could just cycle, but there is a social aspect to meeting up.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I know, why use the private gym when I could just cycle, but there is a social aspect to meeting up.
Also consider Cycling UK or other local groups for group rides. Many rides will have what is to me (and probably to you) mad speeds and distances, but most clubs have shorter, slow rides as well.

p.s. I'm not a fan of group rides myself, but they may suit you.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Looking at other threads, I'm 99% sure the tsdz2 will fit. The tight bit is the bevel on the motor housing. A 3mm spacer is what I need. Attached a picture of BB caked in crud. Waiting for a reply from whoosh before ordering, something to do over Easter...

Attachments

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I thought I would do one last check by taking the BB out and having a measure again. Assuming the measurements here on the piece of cardboard: https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/could-some-kindly-take-some-measurements-of-a-tongsheng-and-bafang-mid-drive.42860/#post-643921 are accurate then I'm good to go. The motor may 'just' fit without a spacer but a ~3mm spacer should give ample room and the width if shell + spacer will be 71.5mm so still some wiggle room.

I asked management about placing an order and she said she thought the kit would be north of £1000 so £650 with the bag battery levels me £350 spare to spend on something else

C

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I have done the deed and ordered a Whoosh TDSZ2 kit with bag battery (may yet come up with a different solution for the battery but plenty of time). Waiting to be called back to confirm payment.

Hopefully kit and spacers will be here for Easter - give me something to do.

Did a pile of calculations with gearing and motor simulator and so on and I'm confident TSDZ2 will get me up all the hills here with moderate user input. 26" wheels, 11-32 cassette and 42t chainring - I will be in serious trouble if the battery dies though with losing the front granny gear with all the hills...

Looked at other suppliers but in reality there was not that much in price. Whoosh kit is 48v but supposedly 250w nominal (can't find any other 48v 250w suppliers - sure the 500w may be the same motor but from legal perspective I think I have done the right thing) - the 48v TSDZ2 is supposed to be somewhat better than the 36v variants (I have read some folks who say just firmware difference but I don't think that's correct, different windings). The battery has named premium cells - not had much joy with no-name cells. UK supplier with hopefully good CS.

Was looking at a different doner bike but tbh I'll stick with what I have for now. Can always move kit later if required - should require no irreversible changes to bike. Incidentally, did think my v brakes were poor, that was my main complaint with existing bike. Cleaned the rims with alcohol and the difference is night and day, and more than adequate.

C

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tsdz2 rides well with no power (42:1), much better so then the BBS(24:1) and the new To7 mid drive should be even better with a 53:1 gearing ratio.

Risun uk sell a 250w 48v tsdz2 but motor only.
36v motors are all the same, the W rating is purely down to the rated current and like wise with the 48V.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I am a tinkerer at heart and in IT so obviously the custom firmwares interested me. In reality I probably can't be arsed and it would void warranty etc. But interesting to see there are 2 versions of the controller for the tsdz2, one which is supported for custom firmware, and v2 which is not.Mildy curious what I am going to get...