Commute Bike - Folding or solid frame?

Ryan Delemere

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2018
Hi All,

I'm looking to ditch public transport in favor of an ebike, get fitter and save a ton of money.

My potential new commute will be around 13 miles each way, pretty flat, Greater London into Central London.

Would like some advice on whether to get a folding bike (for the off chance that I need to get the train home, and for easier storage at home), or a solid frame traditional sized bike.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for that distance, you'll be much more comfortable with the Woosh Zephyr.
It's a 26" full suspension folding bike with hydraulic brakes and 12AH battery (range about 35 miles).
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2018

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Surely the question folding or not is ultimately an answer only you can come up with knowing your use and personal preference to the bikes .

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Hi All,

I'm looking to ditch public transport in favor of an ebike, get fitter and save a ton of money.

My potential new commute will be around 13 miles each way, pretty flat, Greater London into Central London.

Would like some advice on whether to get a folding bike (for the off chance that I need to get the train home, and for easier storage at home), or a solid frame traditional sized bike.

Thank you in advance.

Ryan
You will have more choice / options with a non folder

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
For that distance you will need 26” wheels or bigger and with rear or crank drive. Whether you will get any bikes that size onto a train i don’t know.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They do fold up pretty flat. The best idea is to have a bag for them, railway staff can be a bit funny and in a bag is the only way to get one on a bus. Same size package, a bag is OK a bike isn't :confused: