Conversion Kits: Pros and Cons

clv101

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2010
Bristol
I am in the process today of fitting DaaHub to a Whyte 28" Hi bred (when I get a moment)! Not finished yet but this will give an idea of the look.
That looks really great. What RPM/wheel sizes will this motor be available for? What is its design voltage? Does it use a Hall sensor?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Clv!

Will be available in 20, 24, 26 and 28 / 700c wheels… Disc or v brake options.

Rated rpm is around 280. Design voltage 36V

No, we don't use hal sensors, as they are always the first component to fail in a motor. Without hal sensors, the internals of our motor can reach over 160 deg C without failure…

We have been working with a Japanese motor company for over 2 years to develop what we believe is the most stable and reliable hall-less controller available.

All the best

David

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Range 100 miles +

Battery no more than 1 Kilo

Whole kit no more than 2 kilos

Charge time 20 seconds

Spare battery £ 10

No cables

Price less than £99

warranty 10 years

On site service if it goes wrong in the first 10 years Free

If they cant fix it on the spot a free loan bike

Delivery to your door Free

A bike delivered free on trial for 6 months

The suppler to pay for the electric to charge the bike while on trial

Good Luck

Frank
Do you want them to scrub your back while in the bath aswel :D

Last edited:

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Great replies so far!

It seems that there are a handful of common ideas;

• Do you like DIY - the fulfilment of making an e-bike your own, despite the hassles?
  • Is your bike fit for purpose - some kind of litmus test to see if adding a kit would really work for your bike
  • Are you trying to save money - compare with the costs of a completed e-bike
  • Trusted suppliers list - a directory where you can get lots of electric bike parts

I was wondering, for the folks who really do want to convert their bike, whether some sort of 'Bike Conversion DVD course' with printed notes and a suppliers directory would be useful? As I said at the beginning, some 12,000 people are searching for conversion kits on Google each month (and that's growing) so its not as if there's no demand.

Maybe someone technical would be interested in partnering with me, and splitting the booty? What do you reckon?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
It seems that there are a handful of common ideas;

• Do you like DIY - the fulfilment of making an e-bike your own, despite the hassles?
  • Is your bike fit for purpose - some kind of litmus test to see if adding a kit would really work for your bike
  • Are you trying to save money - compare with the costs of a completed e-bike
  • Trusted suppliers list - a directory where you can get lots of electric bike parts

I was wondering, for the folks who really do want to convert their bike, whether some sort of 'Bike Conversion DVD course' with printed notes and a suppliers directory would be useful? As I said at the beginning, some 12,000 people are searching for conversion kits on Google each month (and that's growing) so its not as if there's no demand.

Maybe someone technical would be interested in partnering with me, and splitting the booty? What do you reckon?
A DVD and/or manual sounds like a great idea, and a potential business opportunity! Perhaps the forum could produce it in collaboration with it's more knowledgeable and experienced members ;-)

One thing about conversion kits....unless you buy an expensive kit from one of the big brands, the instructions that come with the kits can often be a bit difficult sometimes (assuming they're even in English!) and then if you're using batteries and bits from different suppliers, there's other things to consider. Then there's all the tip bits of information, established ways of doing things etc members have learned. All of this could save people a lot of time and make the job of converting a bike easier and more enjoyable.

In my own experience of fitting a kit last week, I had a hard time figuring out the pedal sensor assembly as the instructions for my kit were not in English. I searched everywhere but couldn't find any generic instructions online. It was only the support of other members that helped me figure out how simple it was and where I was going wrong, ditto for fitting torque washers and figuring out whether I needed torque arms on the drop-outs.

Francisco Bolivar

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2011
Trek 750 convertion

Can I install an eletric motor kit in a Trek 750 with 700 wheel?.
600 watts motor is adequate?.
Can the motor be installed in the rear wheel?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yes to all. In fact 600w will be quite powerful.