Cute Motor Opened Up

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

My 36v 250w Cute motor has just arrived. It's much lighter than the equivalent Bafang. I'm going to use it to make a more (than my last attempt) compact crank drive conversion. I needed to disassemble it because I want to shorten the threaded axle. It's interesting in that the whole motor free-wheels using a three-roller-clutch, so for those wanting to use it as a hub motor, it should have minimal drag- the same as the free-wheel on the back of your bike.
The gear-wheels are one piece two stage nylon /delrin but two gears. The inner larger helical gears are driven by one on the motor output shaft and the smaller straight-cut gears drive the ring gear on the free-wheel. They don't look very strong, so I wouldn't over-volt this motor.

It was very easy to disassemble, so, if your gears did strip, they should be easy to replace. If you can't find a spare-parts supplier, just buy the whole motor, as it was only about £50 from BMS battery.

I also bought this free-wheeling crank set from Cyclone for about £75 - in case your interested. It came with a hollowtech BB bearing assembly. It has three chainwheels: An outer one for the motor and another one the same size, and then a smaller one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Thank you.

Do you intend driving on the right to take advantage of 3 freewheels?
Somewhat like the Cyclone?

Dave

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. As you can see, I'm using a rear motor so that I can mount a single speed free-wheel and drive the right side.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Very interesting
Someone on ES posted some pictures of the internals of one of these motors, but they weren't very clear.
Your photos are much better
I guess the three bolts inserted into the freewheel was enough to unscrew the cover?
It looks like the freewheel works without engaging the gears very much like a Tongxin but without that fragile outer ring that is prone to breaking.
Do you know what rpm they are d8veh?

D

Deleted member 4366

This one is supposed to be 201rpm. The three screws hold the free-wheel to the side-plate. To take it apart you only have to unscrew the side-plate. I put 4 long 5mm screws in the disc fixing holes and held them in a vice to stop the motor turning. then I used a small piece of wood as a drift on one of the three screw holes,, and it came off quite easily.