Cyclamatic cx1 adding a thumb throttle?

Callumrayb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2020
Hello I recently purchased a cx1 after unknowingly thinking it had a thumb throttle. So I ordered a thumb throttle and it has arrived, so I opened the pack with the ECU in and tried finding a connector and it doesn't have one. Any help? Thanks!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nothing can be done if the controller isn't programmed for one. You certainly can't use the PAS connection.
Only option is to fit a different controller.

Callumrayb

Mar 19, 2020
Nothing can be done if the controller isn't programmed for one. You certainly can't use the PAS connection.
Only option is to fit a different controller.
Fair enough. How do I go about doing this? Is it a simple switch or do I have to solder anything? Is it just plug and play?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Fair enough. How do I go about doing this? Is it a simple switch or do I have to solder anything? Is it just plug and play?
Guessing only, you probably need to replace your controller and possibly the LCD as well. If a controller was not "made" for something, it will be most difficult to do a re-design.
Maybe a few clear photos will help better at this point in time? Jog someone's memory perhaps....
Andy
PS. Controllers are cheap on ebay, but which one is "good", I have no idea....One like this one maybe:-

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It depends on the maker, though as mentioned will need to be paired with a compatible led or lcd.

Last edited:

Callumrayb

Mar 19, 2020
I have an led interface it's not lcd or anything fancy I'm sure most bikes will be compatable.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nealh

Callumrayb

Mar 19, 2020
Possibly, but a LCD would be far better, and possible allow the firmware to be "adjusted"....
Andy
Great, so I'll order one of these kits and hopefully try to sort it out. I'll update on progress here if I have any lol!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Great, so I'll order one of these kits and hopefully try to sort it out. I'll update on progress here if I have any lol!
You would be wise to wait for a few other Pedelecers to have their say as to which one might be best for you. Also, are you in any way proficient with electrics and electronics? You do need to be.....Any guesswork is totally wrong!!
Perhaps someone lives near you and can assist...
Andy

Callumrayb

Mar 19, 2020
You would be wise to wait for a few other Pedelecers to have their say as to which one might be best for you. Also, are you in any way proficient with electrics and electronics? You do need to be.....Any guesswork is totally wrong!!
Perhaps someone lives near you and can assist...
Andy
Well I have built PC's and tinkered with sky boxes and TV's and smartphones before. I have built around 10 computers so far so I know a tiny little bit about stuff like this. I'm no expert of course but I can look at a wiring diagram and put my mind to it easily

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Well I have built PC's and tinkered with sky boxes and TV's and smartphones before. I have built around 10 computers so far so I know a tiny little bit about stuff like this. I'm no expert of course but I can look at a wiring diagram and put my mind to it easily
Sounds good and best wishes.
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have an led interface it's not lcd or anything fancy I'm sure most bikes will be compatable.
Some leds use 5 wires and will only be compatible with a controller from the same maker as not all functions will work 100%, a 4 wire one might work with other controllers.