Cyclamatic front brakes - improvement needed

electric_avenue

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Chorlton, Manchester
I know quite a few people have these bikes, and I'm pretty sure the front brake situation is universal and not just my bike. Its loud, and vibraty.
What has anyone done that's fixed it. I'm thinking of changing the assembly completely but I'm not sure what would fit (and work :)

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I am assuming you have Vee brakes? Perhaps it needs something as simple as a set of better quality pads. Installation has to be done right, but there are several guides on Youtube. The arms that carry the pads must move freely on there pivots, and have no play. If this is the case there is little to be gained by changing the whole assembly.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Try in this order:

New blocks
Better cable
Brake Booster
Avid Single digit 5

Did this on my Alien GSII and it made a heck of a difference.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Common cause of racket with cantilever or V-brakes is muck on the rim and blocks. A sticky gunge which builds up and causes the blocks to jump and chatter at high frequencies, sounding like screeching. If you take a nylon scouring pad to the rims with a bit of dish soap and just scrub them clean (and do the blocks) it will likely go away. Also check if the blocks are toe-in in properly. They should be set so the trailing edge (nearest the front ) touches the rim first.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Try in this order:

New blocks
Better cable
Brake Booster
Avid Single digit 5

Did this on my Alien GSII and it made a heck of a difference.
That's exactly what I did with my fronts - the Avids nearly had me over the bars at first, they were so good. I left the rears as cantis, but screeching has become a pita, so I'm thinking of putting a set of Avids on there, too.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Thanks for all your answers. Its not dirt, its done it since it was new out of the box! I'm going to start off by trying the shimano set that jcubbin suggests, and see where we go from there
In that case, and if it's fairly common on that model, it's likely the brakes themselves (or the mounts) aren't robust enough and are flexing a bit, causing run-out and chatter.
Not a new problem, either. It wasn't unusual to hear squealing brakes when I was a lad and thinking back it was likely caused by crap components.