Cyclamatic GTE Pro motor died

AJ Asver

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Hi!

I recently purchased a Step-over Cyclamatic GTE Pro. Unfortunately the motor cut out during a recent ride, while I was towing a heavy load using a bike cart. The battery is fully charged and providing power to the controller on the handlebar. I checked the break sensors and they don't seem to be the issue. After riding for a while without the motor working the handlebar mounted controller shows "E 30" which I assume is an error code. I'm pretty sure the motor got overloaded and gave out. Any ideas on how to fix it or get a replacement part?

It's a front wheel hub motor 250W / 36V. Pic attached.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
E30 error needs investigating first, often 30 is Abnormal comms to lcd. If this the case then the issue is often wiring from lcd to Controller or blown controller probably fets.
Have a look inside your controller you may see signs of scorching or blown/burnt parts.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's more likely that the controller gave out than the motor. Can you hear any click when you open the throttle or is it PAS only?

AJ Asver

Sep 6, 2017
San Francisco, CA
E30 error needs investigating first, often 30 is Abnormal comms to lcd. If this the case then the issue is often wiring from lcd to Controller or blown controller probably fets.
Have a look inside your controller you may see signs of scorching or blown/burnt parts.
Thanks! will check that out. Would the controller likely be housed in the battery shelf under the cargo rack?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks! will check that out. Would the controller likely be housed in the battery shelf under the cargo rack?
Show us a pic of the battery front end often you will see the wires/loom entering the front end of the case, you can also trace/ follow the wires from the battery to the controller.

D

Deleted member 4366

Take the end off opposite the wires and have a good sniff.

You need a meter. Disconnect the three motor phase wires and the battery wires, Set your meter to measure resistance in the range around 10 -20 KOhms. Measure between the black battery wire and each motor wire on the controller. They should all be the same. Then do the same between the red battery and each motor wire, which should also give three results the same, but they might be a bit different to the other three. 11K and 14k is typical. If any one is different to the other three, your controller is knackered.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Asver

Sep 6, 2017
San Francisco, CA
It smells fine though it did die about a week ago. At the time it happened I took apart the motor and noticed that it was very hot and smelled like it was burnt out. Which wires are the motor phase wires?

Edit: Found the motor phase wires. Will get a multimeter, test and report back!

Last edited:

AJ Asver

Sep 6, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Test results:

From -Ve to each of the motor phase wires I read about 10KOhms
From +Ve to each of the motor phase wires I get no reading.

I also opened up the motor again and it definitely smells very strongly of being burnt out. Unfortunately I can only get the outer case open but can't work out how to get open the core where the magnets are.

Attachments

AJ Asver

Sep 6, 2017
San Francisco, CA
I noticed that the motor is rated at 250W but the controller has a max output of 36V x 15A. I'm guessing the motor burnt out while running at 500W while I was pulling the bike cart which was very heavy.

D

Deleted member 4366

Motors don't like to run slow. My guess is that you blew the mosfets in the controller, which opens the gate for full power to the motor, so that got destroyed too. That doesn't leave you with much, except the battery. You can get a new motor wheel and controller from BMSbattery for about £200, or you could buy the same motor from Aliexpress and just swap the cores to use your existing hub and rim.

AJ Asver

Sep 6, 2017
San Francisco, CA
How can I tell if I blew the Mosfets? I'm thinking of just replacing the motor core by using a similar Bafang motor. BTW is there any reason not use a 36V/500W motor instead of 250W like the original?

D

Deleted member 4366

A different motor won't make any more power. It's the controller that decides how much power you get. The controller can only pass through as many amps as the battery can give, which is about 15 amps.

I already told you about the mosfets in post #8.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How can I tell if I blew the Mosfets? I'm thinking of just replacing the motor core by using a similar Bafang motor. BTW is there any reason not use a 36V/500W motor instead of 250W like the original?
Your +ve results show no resistance so all three are fried.