Cyclescheme application approved!

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Hi all,

almost got a powacycle windsor last year, but didn't happen for various reasons.

Glad I didn't now as I really wanted a pedelec (old Giant twist type), so i was really interested in the Agattu when it came out.

But the University I work for didn't do a cycle to work scheme before now but they've just started a cyclescheme last month.

So I went down to Green Cycles in Frodsham (The Green Cycle Company.(An on line site for electric Bicycles) - they don't sell any bikes, just do demos for 50 cycles) to have a go on one and it was great!

Really nice people and they let me have a good ride round all the hills round the area and had a good long discussion about various aspects of the bike for nearly an hour and its a superb bike.

So glad I could test the size too as I was wondering which of the 49cm or 53cm to go for.

In the end the 49cm was a good fit for me (5'8").

So I've applied for a Cyclescheme voucher (£1000 for a 49cm Agattu and I'll pay for the battery myself).

Good news is that the price from 50 cycles went down by £50 whilst I was waiting!

And the Cyclescheme voucher has now been approved so I'm just waiting for the voucher to arrive now and the order will go in.

Will post a review/pics/video when I've got it!

Jen.

:p

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
welcome Jenny,
As the proud owner of an Agattu.. One of the first in the country.. I can assure you it is money well spent ( and all the better for the cyclescheme). I commute every day, negotiating very steep hills with relative ease, and the bike is simply a gem.. Good luck and enjoy!

BW
musicbooks

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Be carefull when you order as some dealers (50 cycles for example) may have a 10% surcharge depending whch scheme your company is using.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Yeah that 10% is to cover the commision that some operators like Cyclescheme.co.uk charge to the dealer. Its only fair in my opinion as the small market we have isnt designed for those mass-market tactics. Basically, if you order a £1000 bike, Cyclescheme wil only pay the shop £900, and thats a big chunk of any profit the bike shop might make!!!

Obviously this scheme was designed for the majority of cheaper bikes where the dealer margins might be covered by the manufacturers based more on volume of sales perhaps (e.g. buying a £350 Dawes or Specialized)

John

Last edited:

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Jenny

Its not 50C charging the 10%, its the company called "Cyclescheme". It you buy your bike on the "Cycle 2 Work" scheme direct with 50C you'll be fine. My company however demanded that I deal with (a snake in the grass called) Get a tax free bike for work | CYCLESCHEME, and they take the cut, not the bike manufacturer, dealer or supplier.

John

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Dealing directly with 50 cycles

Yes, I applied on a Friday (the day my organisation sent of the applications) and picked up my assembled bike from 50 cycles the next Saturday, six days from application to collection, brilliant service and no surcharges!

Jennykins

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2007
Lancashire
Ah, Ok, I see it'll be an extra £100 from me then (though I was expecting to pay an extra £50 of that anyway prior to your recent reduction).

Means I'll only be saving £200ish rather than the £300ish I thought it would be, so its still a significant saving.

Thanks for letting me know.

Jen.