Cyclezee Bottle Battery Kit on Trek 6000

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Hi Guys,
Spent an interesting afternoon fitting a Cyclezee kit with the bottle battery to my Trek 6000. I have done a temporary job with throttle only. I am awaiting a new seat post mounted rack and bag that I will probably do a better job of hiding the wiring in. If not I will source a small waterproof bag or wrap all the joints with sealing tape and hide it in some way or other. Dead easy fit. I took my time and had to file a very small amount to get it in the dropouts of the Suntour forks. I could not mount the cable protector and get access to the nut on the cable outlet side due to the design of the forks. I improvised by holding it in place with a cable tie. I fitted the torque arm but there is no where on the fork to bolt it to, due to the disc mounts. The shape of the bottom of the fork makes a jubilee clip a difficult fit. I have used a very heavy duty cable tie at the moment and will monitor it very closely. If it shows any slack I will tape up the fork and give the jubilee clip a go.

IMG_0575.jpg

The battery arrived showing fully charged. I have given it a few miles up some of the torturous local hills and the combination of the fairly lightweight donor bike and kit seem to work well together. The bike is in restricted mode and I was able to bob along at 16 - 17mph on the flat but best of all got up Sanderstead Hill without oxygen (no pun intended)

IMG_0576.jpgIMG_0577.jpgIMG_0578.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0580.jpgIMG_0581.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0583.jpgIMG_0584.jpg

Once it has all settled down I will probably spray the battery black or white to match the bike.

All in all a good purchase.

C

Cyclezee

Hi PJM,

You certainly didn't waste any time fitting the kit;)

A couple of suggestions if I may, first, a small seat post mounted or under saddle tool bag is a good place to coil spare cable and conceal connections, below is the type that I used our demo bike.
Cable case.jpg

If no mounting points are available to secure the torque plates to the forks, then I suggest a 'P' clip like this one. Please note that there is no need to use 2 plates as shown here.

BMC 5.jpg
If you let me know the diameter of your forks, I will post a 'P' clip;)

Regards,

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks, I have calculated the diameter of the fork as about 49 mm. Circumference was 127 mm. Do you put the controller in the bag too or does it have to breath.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks, I have calculated the diameter of the fork as about 49 mm. Circumference was 127 mm. Do you put the controller in the bag too or does it have to breath.
Sorry it was late and I missed my typo should read "about 40mm" 127 divided by 3.142.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Peter,

I note your typo and will have look for an appropriate size 'P' clip later to post to you.

As an alternative, a Jubilee clip can be used, but they don't look so neat and scratch the paintwork unless a rubber spacer is used.

As for the controller, they do need to dissipate heat, but the fins on the case and stainless steel mounting plate on the base acting as a heatsink and usually take care that.

To conceal the cabling and connectors etc., a triangle like this NEW Bike Bicycle Cycling Sport Frame Triangle Front Tube Bag Blue anq | eBay might be more suitable for your setup.

Regards,

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Question re the bottle battery - does it mount just using the two threaded water cage bosses in the frame?

The reason I ask is that normally these bosses are just pressed in and even just the weight of a big full water bottle can pull them out.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Hi Amigafan, thanks for that. I had meant to explore that risk and have just dealt with it by another couple of cable ties. Where would we be without them? Fortuantely the design of the bottle mount leaves a nice gap to feed the ties through and I am guessing it is now safe as houses. I have added a shot of my torque ram temporary fix with the jumbo HD cable tie. He is going to send me a P Clip to do the job properly but it has not budged. I just tweaked the shaft nuts a little. I am guessing they will take a few tweaks to bed down. I will play with the tip of using a triangle bag for the controller and spare cable. I need to find one at 70mm wide if anyone could point me to one. I am working on adapting the brakes that come with the kit to fit my haydraulic Shimano brakes. The reed switch detaches from the brake and I can get to the magnet. Its going to be if the brlkae lever movement is going to be enough to activate the switch. The magent holds it open/ closed and moving it away switches to the alternative position. I think it will just be a bit of fine tuning. Must get back to work. Catch up later.
IMG_0587.jpgIMG_0588.jpgIMG_0589.jpg

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Latest update is that I have managed to adapt the brake cut out switches to work with the Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. The switched brakes that came with the kit had the reed switch screwed on. I removed them and also the small circular magnet. I then used coat hanger wire to make small levers that clipped into the open end of the lever. This increased the throw of the small movement needed to brake to enough to operate and clear the reed switch. I wrapped the lever and magnety in seal sealing tape and secured them with a cable tie. I have used double sided tape to hold the reed switches but need to source some opf the heavy duty tape such as used by the Daahub kit. If anyone could point me to some it would be great. The brake reed switches were normally 'closed' and the magnet touching broke the circuit. So I had to get the lever coming from behind the switch and making contact to work. It was a bit fiddly but is working well. It would be easier to have had the magnet moving away to activate or switch the circuit but I assume this would have meant re programming or redesigning the controller to stop the motor with a positive power signal rather than breaking the circuit. I am not an electrician sbut by patience and persistence I got it to work. If its dry I might even get out on it soon. Its looking lovely on the bike stand :)

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Apart from waiting on a Pletscher stand to arrive I have finished the first fit. I have added a small Altura rack bag to carry odds and ends. I have added Bycygnals for indication purposes and a decent set of lights. As to the kit I have added a small triangle frame bag to hide the controller and spare cables. I have routed the remaining cable through a 7mm wrap that was peanuts on ebay but was just the job. I have a pair of normally open reed switches on the way that will enable me to do a simpler brake switching adaption to the brake levers. It rides like a dream. Its not a moped but certainly gets me up the hills. If I was being picky I would have preferred the handlebar mounted power led's to have been much smaller. The kit was high quality, well packed and has lived up to expectations so far.

IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0608.jpgIMG_0609.jpgIMG_0606.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Apart from waiting on a Pletscher stand to arrive I have finished the first fit. I have added a small Altura rack bag to carry odds and ends. I have added Bycygnals for indication purposes and a decent set of lights. As to the kit I have added a small triangle frame bag to hide the controller and spare cables. I have routed the remaining cable through a 7mm wrap that was peanuts on ebay but was just the job. I have a pair of normally open reed switches on the way that will enable me to do a simpler brake switching adaption to the brake levers. It rides like a dream. Its not a moped but certainly gets me up the hills. If I was being picky I would have preferred the handlebar mounted power led's to have been much smaller. The kit was high quality, well packed and has lived up to expectations so far.

View attachment 3988View attachment 3989View attachment 3991View attachment 3992View attachment 3990
I am considering selling this bike. It has been ridden only half a dozen times. Completely as new. Spent over £1500.00. Have got a lot fitter and looking to get a couple of folders for coastal touring with the wife. Would take a sensible offer. You would not be disappointed.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
If I put the bike on ebay what would be a fair price to expect. It is in immaculate condition and includes original Trek wheel, the unused MTB tyres and Schwalbe City Jet on the original wheel.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Hi,

The tyre on the Cyclezee wheel is the marathon plus. The tyre on the original Trek wheel is the City Jet. Plus the two original MTB tryres that came on the Trek.