Derestricting Sirocco CDL

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Hi all.

I'm new here and new to electric bikes.

I have a Sirocco CDL in mind.

For off - road use, is it possible to derestrict the 15mph limit? If so, is it easy? It is not essential but would be nice to have the option when going off road.

Many thanks :)

Nick

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Yes it's very easy with the King- Meter fitted to that. Press up and down modes at the same time to get into the settings menu and pick a speed there.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Wow that easy! I just hope I don't forget to change the speed back down to 15mph when on the road...

Is there any noticeable difference in battery life when doing this?

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Wow that easy! I just hope I don't forget to change the speed back down to 15mph when on the road...

Is there any noticeable difference in battery life when doing this?
I, hypothetically, could get 30 miles on a derestricted santa ana cd (TCM) with 15 aH battery bopping along at around 20mph..

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Hypothetically, of course.... !

Any extra wear on the battery that would reduce its overall life?

Any issues with overheating?

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Hypothetically, of course.... !

Any extra wear on the battery that would reduce its overall life?

Any issues with overheating?
hypothetically no, the only heating of the motor occurs - again hypothetically - on steep hills in low gears - at which I don't think the derestriction would play any role

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The thing about crank drive particularly speed sensor ones like the Woosh CDs is that they will take all the battery you throw at them when used hard. That goes double when used in hilly country and/or derestricted. You will use a lot more from the battery if you go fast with it in higher assist than if you go slow. Pretty obvious really.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Just reading the king meter jlcd instructions and it says this...

It implies the max speed setting is 25kph which translates to 15.5mph.

Am I reading this correctly?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it means the factory setting is 25kph, the LCD will go up to 49kph

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks for your help Trex :)

Would the bike actually do 49kph on throttle alone though, on the flat? What speed would a 75 kg rider get on throttle / decent assisted pedaling?

I know those questions are a bit vague, sorry!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you're about as heavy as me (65kg), on the flat, no headwind, I get to about 24mph. I like pedalling but am not a strong pedaller. If your cadence is high then you can go a bit faster.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
sorry, that's with pedalling. On throttle alone, flat roads, about 18mph.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks Trex. Very helpful! Have you mastered the gear changes? May I ask what technique you use? If any?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
on the flat, there is no need to do anything different than with nomal bikes.
On hills, try to think to shift down before you need to.
Shifting to smaller cogs don't need any special care, shifting to bigger cog, you need to stop pedalling before shifting, the motor will stop while the chain jumps to bigger cog. When you hear the chain shift, start pedalling again.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks Trex. I'm sure it'll come to me when I go out for my first ride.

So you don't bother with the pressing the break trick and the throttling up and down technique?

D

Deleted member 4366

The pressing the break doesn't work on a Woosh because there's too much delay before the motor starts again. The gear-changing is hardly a problem. You'll soon figure out what to do. You'll soon learn to select the correct gear before starting a hill.

You can get even more speed if you turn the wheel-magnet round. The speed is then only limited by your gearing. You can get higher and lower gearing at the same time if you swap the back-wheel for a cassette one, then you'll have a top assistance speed of over 30 mph.

When you release the speed limit, it doesn't change the power in any way. It's still a 250w motor, so your unassisted (throttle only) speed will be about 19 to 20 mph; however, the motor will speed you up down hills or with the wind behind you, or if you can pedal hard enough, it'll always be adding something to your pedalling. The higher the gear you're in, the lower the torque you get, so if you choose too high a gear, the bike won't have enough torque, so you slow down, just like in a car.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
sorry, that's with pedalling. On throttle alone, flat roads, about 18mph.
hypothetically, a 95kg unfit bloke like me could average 20 to 24 with medium to fast pedalling (it's a hypothetical hoot too, around 24 mph the front wheel get's a little light..)

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Turning the wheel magnet around.. interesting. How does this result in extra speed? Is it easy to do? Any disadvantages to this?

Advertisers