Differences bewteen front and rear hub motor fixings

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hub motors and torque arms

I know that a torque arm is highly recommended when fitting a powerful front wheel hub to a bike, but does a powerful rear wheel hub require something similar to stop the axle from spinning?

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If you mean the little tab the rests in the fork ends then I've had them on both front and rear wheel motors, if you mean the extra strengthening that wraps around the fork because the fork ends aren't strong enough then I've never had one.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If you mean the little tab the rests in the fork ends then I've had them on both front and rear wheel motors, if you mean the extra strengthening that wraps around the fork because the fork ends aren't strong enough then I've never had one.
Ok, so let me get this clear. The washers with the little tab that sits in the fork/frame should stop the axle from spinning???
And the reason why a torque arm is used on alloy forks is to strengthen them???
So a proper heavy duty set of front forks could get away with the tabbed washer only???

My brain hurts :D

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, the torque arms are belt 'n' braces for alloy front forks and rear drop-outs when used with powerful hub motors IE: in general, anything that's not legal ;) :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes the tab is completely sufficient for decent rear dropouts or good suspension forks. However if you are fitting a kit motor to front aluminium forks I would always fit a torque arm.