Dirt E and very happy !!!

roborobo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2011
Back in 2011/2012 I bought a "Alien Ocean Aurora" which was fit for purpose at the time but ended up being very much like "triggers broom" , same bike but new - wheels / tyres / handle bars / brakes / seat / seat post / pedals & a knackered battery ) and still weighed more than a pile of RSJ girders.

So big up @d8veh ... you made me think long and hard about how things have moved on, so took a leap of faith and went for a new bike - Giant Dirt E+ 2

I have not yet missed a day riding it to work (car is basically idle). My daily commute journey is @7 miles each way, of which 2/3 is bridle ways / smile ways !!! So glad I bought a new bike .....

Last edited:

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
Great bike - I have a Giant Dirt E+1 - it's a great ride - and so much fun - and still going strong.
Have made a few upgrades - but a good all round eMTB to start with - and the '2' - better spec- better colour scheme !! and good value - good choice

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
What mileage did you spin on the bicycle? Аny major repairs during that time?
I've covered about 1500km - mainly off road - I live close to the fun stuff (500 metres) so hardly have to ride on roads.

No breakdowns or serious failures in two years - I keep the chain and running gear clean and lubed - New brake pads once - and keep the brakes bled and tight. The rest is usually covered with mud
Quick clean and service (nut and bolt check / brakes etc) every few weeks.

I did make some changes to the basic model

Replacements / upgrades
1. Tyres - shredded the original Shwalbe in couple of months - replaced them with Specialized Grid's - one butcher (rear) -
one ground control (front)
I need a new set now for winter - but they have lasted well and the firmer side walls helps with the extra weight of the bike - might replace with same or try something different - maybe something more aggressive.
2. Forks - as I got more experienced & confident - and started hitting harsher ground - I found the original Suntour forks struggled - so managed to pick some Reba's up for cheap (brand new for £100 ! ! ! !) . Not full on hardcore forks - but they fitted my (tight) budget - and are a huge improvement.
3. Suntour Suspension seat post - I damaged my lower spins some years ago - and have bouts of lower back pain if I don't take care
Early days riding the bike - I ended up suffering after a moderate or longer ride. A full sus is out of my price range so I tried a sus seatpost - amazingly - it's very very good. I think my technique has improved as well - so bound to help some - but thumbs up

TBH - I hated the colour scheme - but I bought the bike at a serious discount and was going to respray it - however a friend had had some spare black vinyl - the sort you can use for covering cars.
I now have a black bike - probably adds 500gm to the weight of the bike - but who cares - it's an e-bike - and it looks (in my mind) a lot better -
It also helps with scratches and bumps - usual stuff - down to me 'testing my limits' or being an overgrown child. - the vinyl takes the hit - not the original paintwork.

Overall - I love the bike - like anything else - there is always a better - more expensive option - but seriously good for the money.
If I were to upgrade - I'd definitely consider another Giant - although I've been looking at the focus Jam - and Merida bikes - hmmmm

mike tatt

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2016
Worsthorne, Lancashire
ALSO
Thought I'd mention the Yamaha motor
1. When you hit 25kph - there is no motor drag - you are pushing the bike - not the motor as well
2. Cadence - you need to practice getting your gearing and cadence right- especially on steep uphills which vary in gradient - the motor seems to run out of puff when you are peddling like a demon - so I usually aim for a higher gear than I normally would on an analogue bike and pedal a bit slower - It took me a few rides to fully understand what was going on - but now it's effortless.
3. TOO MUCH POWER - amazing but true - in some circumstances - like a standing start uphill in the mud or over uphill rocks. You need to knock the power down - or the back wheel can really push forwards and cause the front to raise up. Once you get going - tap the power up again if you need to.
4. Noise - it's noisier than the Shimano - but no more than the Bosch - and can whine a bit when pushed. TBH - no one else will hear it - and I mostly don't notice it - unless I film my nonsense on my gopro - and hear it on the playback.
5. Instant - push and go - as soon as you pedal - the power kicks in - great when you need control of when you are laying the power down. I've read some comments about it feeling nervy and wanting to push when you are stopped eg at a road junction) - but this has never been an issue for me - wouldn't even have thought of it unless I had read about it

I've tried a few bikes from other riders that I know

I Prefer the power output of the Yamaha to the Bosch - Instant on
I prefer the ability to pedal at a faster cadence that the Bosch gives - although I've adjusted by riding style a bit - so rarely notice.
Over 25kph on the flat - Bosch - I didn't like it - - Yamaha - great
The Shimano - feels more natural than both the Bosch and Shimano - nice gradual power - but isn't as forceful - didn't get this one to play with on the flat or over 25kph

Cheers
Mike

Related Articles

Advertisers