DIY Battery Box for about £10 or cheaper.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

Someone was asking about battery boxes a few days ago, so I decided to make one for my lipos. I used polystyrene foam board from Staples and 15mm angle light alloy from Wickes.
The foam board was a bit expensive at £10 for 5 A3 sheets (used only 2), but it's very light and quite stiff. The alloy angle was £7.45. If you used a thinner material for the sides, you could probably get away with the 11.5mm angle, which is only £5.40 for a 2.5m length.
If you're going to fix your box to a rack, you would probably be better with a 3mm plywood base rather than polystyrene. The rest can be the same.
To make it is very simple: Cut the sheets and alloy to size and glue together with silicone sealant. I did the base and top first and left them to cure overnight before fixing the sides otherwise it would have all fallen apart. You need to cut the board accurately and square, which is very easy with a rule and craft knife. This foam board would be better painted afterwards for extra waterproofing as the outer layer is card.
When deciding the size, make sure you leave enough room for a bit of foam packing around the battery.