Do you leave it locked outside at all?

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
I do a whole lot more than being in here, riding e-bikes and driving cars Keith. I guess most would think me well organised as I waste little time between doing things, and I tend to integrate activities to maximise the use of time.
Have you sent this message from your Iphone whilst riding your bike?!!

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I guess there two camps of thieves .One who will think the ebike is cool and nick it as its more valuable.The second who'll think its too different to move on quickly to pay for their next fix of what ever.As flecc said,if the bike is left for long periods on a regular basis it stands a good chance of being taken.Our local train station in Wokingham is a magnet for bike thieves.Have you seen the following?It makes you think!

YouTube - Bike Thief

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Bits of bikes left

I regularly lock my bike up outside Government Offices in central London (GLE, London Bridge, DCLG near Parliament) and around Hackney. I always take my battery and saddle into meetinga (receiving strange looks) but do this because, wherever I park my bike (in Hackney) there is evidence of past thefts, in some cases only a bike frame and lock remaining, and I have just got into the habit. I also leave my bike in my estate car when I am not using it and worry about my car being broken into by someone wanting to steal the bike. Has anyone experienced this?

Conal

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
I regularly lock my bike up outside Government Offices in central London (GLE, London Bridge, DCLG near Parliament) and around Hackney. I always take my battery and saddle into meetinga (receiving strange looks) but do this because, wherever I park my bike (in Hackney) there is evidence of past thefts, in some cases only a bike frame and lock remaining, and I have just got into the habit. I also leave my bike in my estate car when I am not using it and worry about my car being broken into by someone wanting to steal the bike. Has anyone experienced this?

Conal
My bike is locked up all day outside the office on the main street everyday then in the evening (as I don't have/use a garage or shed) its locked up around in the back garden. So far in seven years I have had no problems with theft.

Also with me travelling all the time on dealer visits and shows etc, I find myself being forced to leave the Powabyke locked onto a bike rack on the back of a car over night at many hotels and B&B's. These places I stay do vary from quiet towns and villages to dodgy city centre hotels. Again so far I have been lucky and have had no problems with theft.

I think its pot luck as to whether the bike is stolen or not. A decent lock is enough to deter an opportunist thief while a professional thief will vitually stop at nothing to get a bike. A majority of these "professional steals" are stolen to order and as much as I don't like to say this, electric bikes are still not a desireable item.

Common sense as to where you lock your bike up and a decent lock will prevent a majority of thefts. The main worry we all have is vandalism I'm afraid! But that's another story!

Regards

FrankC

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I also leave my bike in my estate car when I am not using it and worry about my car being broken into by someone wanting to steal the bike. Has anyone experienced this?

Conal
No, but I have read of it happening.....

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I'm down here in Bournemouth and I've not had any trouble as yet, normally locking it to a lampost or fence post with a medium duty cable lock, always checking I've got the thingy that will unlock it before I lock it.
One of my favourite uses of the e bike is to cycle to a local pub, or perhaps one quite a bit further away, depending on the weather etc. having a cosy drink and cycling back again, I normally lock the bike and park it where I can near a window so I can keep an eye on it. Usually see quite a few curious bods looking at it so I know when I step outside I will have to answer questions about it, speed, range etc. A lady once asked what sort of engine it had.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I bought a new mountain bike from halfords about 2 months ago before i got my kalkoff and locked it outside sainburys i was in the shop for about 5 mins and when i came out some blighter:mad: had knicked the back wheel i just stood there in total shock i couldnt belive it any way with hindsight my mistake was that the bike had quick wheel release bolts so beware:eek: nigel.