Does a bigger battery give u more power?

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I want to no if I upgrade from a 36V 9ah niHM to a 36V 20ah lifepo4 will i get more power and range or just range?:confused:

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I want to no if I upgrade from a 36v 9ah nihm to a 36 volt 20ah lifepo4 will i get more power and range or just range?:confused:
You will get both I think.. I'm no expert on the technical side of this but I've seen it said on the forum that bigger batteries will be able to cope better when maximum power is needed for more demanding riding like up hills or on throttle, compared to smaller batteries.. You will still be limited by the speed of the motor and controller of course, so a bigger battery won't necessarily make you go faster, but it will of course enable you to go further.

30mph+?! How much faster do you want to go? :p

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When the chemistry is the same the larger capacity does give some more power as well. With differing chemistry like NiMh and lithium it's not always too clear cut, since the power depends on the discharge rate capability and NiMh are quite good in this respect.

However, since NiMh increases it's internal resistance with age and you are very substantially increasing the capacity, the odds are that you will get noticeably more power. And of course, even without more power the maximum power level will be sustained for much longer with the larger battery so still a substantial benefit.

N.B. Crossed with post from Morphix.

Last edited:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
I want to no if I upgrade from a 36v 9ah nihm to a 36 volt 20ah lifepo4 will i get more power and range or just range?:confused:
never tried a 20ah lipo, or done comparison nihm v lifepo4......

but for example 8ah v 14 ah lipo........have found power performance to be non linear....the max power is on a full battery.....its not like petrol in a car for example.
so more power for longer with bigger battery and also longer range....
i find power is great for first half of battery charge, then falls away very quickly on uphill climbs for the second half life......so i try to remember to keep battery full if going a distance......

would assume you would get more power for longer and more range by changing........assuming also that you make no other changes to the controller.
regards

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think its worth adding some clarification, the larger capacity battery will hold its voltage better under load and appear/feel to be more powerful. However, the max power the motor will produce is governed ultimately by the controller, it has a maximum power limit that is programmed in for battery current draw and also for maximum phase current draw....simply adding in more battery Ah won't make the controller increase these limits.