Ebco Urban Commuter e-bike -any one tried it?

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
I went to try a Tonaro Compy today and was asked if I wanted a go on one I hadn't heard of, an Ebco Urban Commuter CL (?)-60, while they got the Compy ready. I thought I might as well and am so glad that I did. With the high, swept back handlebars it was like sitting in an armchair and it was so easy to ride without power, almost silent too. I've managed to confuse myself though as when I was riding it I thought it was a panasonic drive and I told myself how different it was from my Wisper 705, more like riding an ordinary bike but with a bit of help, and how quiet. However I have just googled it and see that it's a hub drive , so presumably fundamentally the same as the Wisper! If anyone can tell me any more about the Ebco I would be very grateful.:)

ps I'll post my thoughts on the Compy in the thread already started

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Onbike sell them I see, but they are heavy.....27kilos.......mind you, so is the Tonaro..... but have a far small battery capability from what I read.......much more range from the Tonaro....pity it wasnt comfy for you but I felt exactly the same when I rode it but then I am used to a step thru windsor.
I would imagine quite a few people on here will have one and be along to give you more info......interesting the Ebco was so comfortable...... tempting you ?

Lynda

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
You can read about the EBCO company on this link

Afterwards, go to this pedelecs thread link and read the three comments from Mechaniker, BruceHawkser, Wisper's David Miall and the following posts to complete the story and get riding experiences.
Thanks Flecc, that's helpful to know about Ebco,they sound solid. It was the Urban Commuter UCL-60 that I tried today rather than the Eagle. I was told that it weighs 27kg compared to the Eagle's 30kg and it certainly didn't feel heavy or ponderous .I see that it has a "TRANZX PST brushless high torque electric front hub motor matched to a R.P.M and intelligent TMM4 torque sensor". This means nothing to me I'm afraid, is it basically the same type of system as my 705 uses or does it have any advantages? It certainly rode much more easily without power than the Wisper, which has a lot of drag , and was almost silent.

Last edited:

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
:
Onbike sell them I see, but they are heavy.....27kilos.......mind you, so is the Tonaro..... but have a far small battery capability from what I read.......much more range from the Tonaro....pity it wasnt comfy for you but I felt exactly the same when I rode it but then I am used to a step thru windsor.
I would imagine quite a few people on here will have one and be along to give you more info......interesting the Ebco was so comfortable...... tempting you ?

Lynda
Yes it is Lynda-very! -which is why I'm keen to hear from anyone who has any experience of them. I'm also trying a Raleigh Dover , tomorrow if the shop calls to say its in, so that will give me something to compare with the Urban Commuter. The other possibility is that I'll wait for the new step-through Tonaro to arrive as I'm a bit reuctant to give up the throttle, even though I don't use it a lot. I'm going to ask Powerpedals if they have any more info about it:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's their own version of the SB type of motor that most like Wisper use Tyler, and I'm not surprised it ran more easily. I've been critical about the drag factor of SB motors for years. The torque sensor acts like a throttle, it measures the pedal thrust effort and adds power proportionally.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
:

Yes it is Lynda-very! -which is why I'm keen to hear from anyone who has any experience of them. I'm also trying a Raleigh Dover , tomorrow if the shop calls to say its in, so that will give me something to compare with the Urban Commuter. The other possibility is that I'll wait for the new step-through Tonaro to arrive as I'm a bit reuctant to give up the throttle, even though I don't use it a lot. I'm going to ask Powerpedals if they have any more info about it:)
Hmm...we seem to be going down the same road then !

I have tried the Dover....its a lovely bike but like you I'm not sure about giving up the throttle but also I feel as if the crank driven motor is the superior method...hence my excitement over the Tonaro Esprit......dont think it will be here much before the end of August.
Its all so difficult though isnt it......my ideal bike just doesnt exist but its hard deciding what to give way on.

I am really looking forward to trying the Tonaro Esprit, however if its too heavy that will also be a reluctant no-no because of having to lift it up onto my m/home bike rack.....however I know they have a new folder coming too.....however that, as most others, is 20'' wheels and I would prefer 26''.....and so on it goes....but I know I will know my bike when I finally see it :) :)

Meanwhile.....the research goes on.....

Lynda

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Tried the Dover yesterday Lynda, as you say a lovely bike (and nice livery -white with navy blue mudguards-if I was choosing on colour alone I would go for it!) but, maybe because it was only a 3 speed it didn't quite do it for me, though half an hour probably isn't really long enough to tell. Anyway, I'm still thinking about the Ebco, am even thinking about making the 2 hour trip back to Dundee to have another go. You've also set me thinking about the Esprit again so the bottom line is that I'm now even more confused than ever!:confused: