Ebike newbie

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
There have been many posts on Tongsheng being a small motor in size and therefore having to work harger, overheating, it is the only motor I know that you can actually buy thermal tape and heat reducing fins for, google Tongsheng overheating

Enjoy it

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There have been many posts on Tongsheng being a small motor in size and therefore having to work harger, overheating, it is the only motor I know that you can actually buy thermal tape and heat reducing fins for, google Tongsheng overheating

Enjoy it
That is rather a good point. A solution to a problem that an average user hardly ever needs to worry about. The small TSDZ2 can be pushed to as much as 48V, 20A with OSF. It's normally designed for 48V 10A. If you stick with the original firmware, you have nothing to worry about.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any external cooling added to a tsdz is useless , the issue has been the internal air spaces that simply don't tranfer heat to the outer shell at all well. One reason why those using OSF highly recommend internal mods to aid the heat transfer better.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if anyone is worried about extra cooling on the TSDZ2, don't be if you don't need OSF. I have had none TSDZ2 returned to me because of overheating in 5 years. The usual problem is the blue gear which is now fixed in the B revision. Less frequent faults are blown controller and malfunctioning torque sensor. I wouldn't continue to stock TSDZ2 leave alone adding the new TSDZ8 if the number of returns is significant. The TSDZ2 kit is simply brilliant, the B version is more robust. If you tried it, it's difficult to want anything less.

Last edited:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Not sure I push my tsdz2 very hard. In stock firmware I'm in assist level 2 all the time. No way of knowing if it's overheating without faff but I think unlikely.

I have considered osf, not to get more power out of the motor, just because I find you need to slow cadence down to get the most assistance out of the motor. I would rather keep my cadence higher, especially on hills. OSF handles higher cadence better I understand. Presumably it's possible to set up OSF with a maximum draw of say 10A. Tbh, I'm not sure I feel strongly enough about it to mess about though so I expect I'll just stick with stock firmware. Just need to think a bit and adjust ridding style a bit change to a higher gear a bit quicker than it feels natural to do.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Good for you, noting finer than the smile you get on first riding one.

Ive a friend in the bike trade who hired one on hols, he's been in the industry for decades, 365 rider and really loved his first outing.