eMTB owners photo and ride thread.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Some of the best riding can be found on your own door step. :)

I guess that I am pretty spoilt in some respects, as I have several very good areas to ride in my neck of the woods.
Some are official, and some sadly not. Hornshurst offers some very good down hill hill stuff to ride, as does the Bull Track, both of which are either owned or managed by good friends. There are several Youtube clips for both.
The Bull Track isn't for my style of riding though, although it does offer a very good pump track which is great fun. Hornshurst is just a brilliant wood to ride whatever the choice of riding style.

Ashdown forest is a one minute away from me, but of course like every other local mtb rider, I would never dream of taking a bike onto there, nor either of the two army camps!!

Another out of bounds place is Broadwater forest. That one I really can't get my head around. The fire roads in there are mainly road stone, and the remainder free draining. It is okay for dog walkers to let there dogs off a lead in there, with the full potential of disturbing ground nesting birds, but mtb's are banned for this very reason. Somehow that doesn't stack up.

Virtual beers are on me though, as just this morning after many phone calls, I have been granted sole access rights to ride in a woodland which covers about 500 acres, and once again can be reached in less than a minute from home.
Being set either side of a valley, the potential is massive. It remains fairly dry all year round, has several streams, which is something that appeals, an old water mill offering the trials riding potential that I seek, and many pine plantaions as well as chestnut coppice. Best of all is that I can cut through there on my way to work.

I was kind of dreading making the call this morning, and I'm so glad that it went well.

Next up is to gain permission for the next 500 acres beyond, although that won't won't be so easy, as I have already been caught and kicked out of there.

The route marked in blue is up to roughly the 2,24 min of this clip from last night using the light that d8veh recommended. This isn't the tight technical section that I had previously mentioned.

As for tyre choice, why not stick with what you know. :)
The South Downs is actually a bit of a bastid to know what to suggest in respect of tyre choice. The terrain and soil conditions are just so varied, that I suspect that there isn't just one ideal tyre. I might be wrong, but it looks like you are on a 26" wheel set. If that is the case, I used to really love Pannaracer XC Firepro. They seemed to cope very well with most conditions, don't have significant rolling resistance, and are pretty good at coping with sketchy root sections. They are also very good value for money.

I really love the Hutchinsoon tyres that I run. The DZO's on the full suspension bike are on the heavy side and drag like hell, but the Toro Hardskin tyres on the hardtail roll well and seem to grip like something to a blanket. Wet roots don't even begin to phase them, and I never worry that they will let go at the wrong moment. The sad thing is that they aren't overly easy to find at a good price, and take some hunting down. Mine came from France.

edit.. Here is the tight technical section. Oddly trees aside, the various hazards and banks don't come across in the clip. I also made countless stops which don't happen when using the Fenix BT20, as I was struggling to pick my way through the route.
At the 1.45 point is a fallen tree and you have to ride over the back of the root ball, which is very off camber and slippery. I created this route and section, and have fallen from it with regular occurance. If the camber doesn't get you, then the holly tree at the 1.50 point normally does. I think that I have hit it about five times now. I'm currently in two minds about digging the back of the root ball down to be level, but that kind of defeats the object of making the route tricky to tackle, and as unobtrusive to others as possible.

The weather conditions worked against me for both clips, and I will do another on a dry evening. But it still doesn't take much to work out that the light doesn't perform in these conditions.

Can't say I recognise where you are from the videos :p
I preferred the second light from the video, although the first appeared brighter but very central and directed. It could be the camera didn't do it justice? Can't you run both together?
Some parts you seem to lose the trail and are just ploughing through light undergrowth :) You've definitely ridden that a few times before though.
You're super lucky to have all that lot on your doorstep. And by the sounds of it, pretty much exclusive use of some. Good luck with securing the 500!
I say leave the trails as they are, no digging or shaping. It's how you work round, over or through the obstacle, that's where the fun is ;)
It clearly only going to get wetter from here on in, so I appreciate the tyre pointers and I'll check them out to see what I can find at sensible prices. The Firepro I had before and liked....hmmm.
I do indeed run good ol' 26, so choice is good.
On ya!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Can't say I recognise where you are from the videos :p
I preferred the second light from the video, although the first appeared brighter but very central and directed. It could be the camera didn't do it justice? Can't you run both together?
Some parts you seem to lose the trail and are just ploughing through light undergrowth :) You've definitely ridden that a few times before though.
You're super lucky to have all that lot on your doorstep. And by the sounds of it, pretty much exclusive use of some. Good luck with securing the 500!
I say leave the trails as they are, no digging or shaping. It's how you work round, over or through the obstacle, that's where the fun is ;)
It clearly only going to get wetter from here on in, so I appreciate the tyre pointers and I'll check them out to see what I can find at sensible prices. The Firepro I had before and liked....hmmm.
I do indeed run good ol' 26, so choice is good.
On ya!

I forgot to add that the woodland that you first showed, reminded me of Three Cornered Copse, Nr West Blatchington.

Last edited:
Neither clip is really fair, as the rain wasn't helping things and the SJ4000 doesn't always cope that well when conditions are like that.

It is a shame that I hadn't tried the night before when all was dry.

I'll give it another go on a clear dry night and try two runs with both the Fenix and the other light for side by side comparison. They still might be crap quality clips, but at least they would be matching crap quality.:D

The route shown is pretty overgrown, but that is kind of how I want it, as other than my regular ride partner, no one else knows that it exists. It is a good way of keeping both horse riders and other cyclists away from it, so that it will remain fairly mud free over winter.
I have found that some of the best ride routes, can be found by following animal tracks and pathways, and that 1 mile long run is one of them. The result can often be very rewarding.

I forgot to add that the woodland that you first showed, reminded me of Three Cornered Copse, Nr West Blatchington.
I like your trail finding tips. Use nature! :)
What's amazing, is that it is in fact three cornered copse!
I guess I did describe it, and you know I'm hove way, but quite how you can recognise such a tiny, often missed little area of woods is quite remarkable!
Go to the top of the woodland identification class [emoji3]

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Good stuff you blokes....im getting a bit more adventurous with me lapp now...can you recommend a good camera?..im pretty useless with modern technology...something simple......
Ebay link. Click to view.

The TCL SVC200 camera (1080p) and waterproof cover etc is around 40 quid now. I bought mine for over £80 a while back. It's had some hammer and is still functioning. I use it on my scooter and bike.

Here's how it looks in low light and how the audio sounds.

And sometimes on the dog. :)

I took this video a year ago, just to test how it looked with the dog wearing it.

I like it's small signature on the bars. It can also take pics.

cam - recreational.jpg DSC00735.JPG DSC09648.JPG Hoglet.JPG Poser.jpg

Like most cheap cams, it works best in sunlight.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I like your trail finding tips. Use nature! :)
What's amazing, is that it is in fact three cornered copse!
I guess I did describe it, and you know I'm hove way, but quite how you can recognise such a tiny, often missed little area of woods is quite remarkable!
Go to the top of the woodland identification class [emoji3]
How sad and embarrassing is that. :oops:

I live about 26 miles away from you but can recognize a piece of woodland from just a few photographs.

I actually rode through there a couple of weeks ago, and it was the photo with the roots that I recognised. I recall thinking at the time, about just how amazing that it was, that so close to all of the houses and even sea, that this little hidden gem was here. I loved the place, and if I lived there I'd certainly spend alot of time playing around in it.. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/738292035

What I didn't like about that day, was that a piece of pikey scum in a silver Transit, drove at me head on and forced me off the road as I approached the camp near to Horsdean Park. I won't be forgetting that one.

Last edited:

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
Good stuff you blokes....im getting a bit more adventurous with me lapp now...can you recommend a good camera?..im pretty useless with modern technology...something simple.....sorry if this wrong thread..
Not cheap but here's examples from me using the new GoPro Hero5 using its built in image stabilisation. It's certainly very easy to use, especially as it now has voice commands. Is it 6x better than the cheap but good Chinese clones that cost 6x less? Nope, but it still probably has the best absolute image quality. And the new features in the latest model are good.

How sad and embarrassing is that. :oops:

I live about 26 miles away from you but can recognize a piece of woodland from just a few photographs.

I actually rode through there a couple of weeks ago, and it was the photo with the roots that I recognised. I recall thinking at the time, about just how amazing that it was, that so close to all of the houses and even sea, that this little hidden gem was here. I loved the place, and if I lived there I'd certainly spend alot of time playing around in it.. :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/738292035

What I didn't like about that day, was that a piece of pikey scum in a silver Transit, drove at me head on and forced me off the road as I approached the camp near to Horsdean Park. I won't be forgetting that one.
I know that strava link route pretty well.
Pleased you liked my 'back garden' as much as I do, it sure is a pretty wee place; best left as unacknowledged as possible ;)
I should be able to dig my torch out and head up for an evening spin soon, I really can't remember how good or bad it is.
Keep up the root spotting ;)

Reactions: chris130256

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Went to the Forest of Dean yesterday to have a look at the Ebikes competing in the mini endure. I counted at least 7 (4 Haibikes, 3 Cubes) on the section I was spectating. Photo of one of the Cubes. It looked great fun and we're thinking about giving it a go next year.
While there we got in a couple of runs. First one, the Launchpad. It says at the start 'don't pedal'. Two minutes of mtb bliss!
Second run was the 10k FreeMiners. Full of slippery roots and big puddles. I think there had only been one other bike done it that day and considering there were 300-400 bikes there.......!
Recovering back at the centre, we saw a couple of E mtb's, one the same as ours and the other a Lapierre. Yep, I met Pedelec fellow member STEVEMANFC. Chatted for about an hour and ended with a brief spin together. A longer ride next time Steve?14741760_1790053967918248_2017755867_n.jpg
The Launchpad. Our run wasn't as good as this guy! And he didn't pedal either!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is from the new bit b4 the lp ;)

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
Yes it was nice to put a face to the name
Let me know when you are next over my way Chris and we can meet up for a good ride out.
Hi Steve
How are you finding the Lapierre Overvolt have you had any problems I am thinking of purchasing one.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi Geome
The bike is fab, I have the fs500 with the yamaha drive, the only problem that I have with the bike is I just can keep off it,
But I do have a small problem, I get a small amount of condensation under the glass on the screen, but I have not spoken to the shop yet about it, I just hope they will sort it out under the warranty.

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
I was there at Forest of Dean on Sunday. Saturday too.

Race number 361.

My first ever pushbike race in my life, and I'm the wrong side of 40.

Went with 4 other on 'normally aspirated' bikes.

Weather given out as crap all weekend, so when we arrived there Saturday mid morning we were pleasantly surprised the sun was out and dry tracks. Did the full 3 race sections once with everyone and slowly getting used to the bike and getting more confident at throwing it about. Did the E-MTB extra section too, and on the third section there was a fork – steep drop off to the right, easy descent to the left. Like Lemmings, we all charged off to the steep drop off, and all of us had to commit when we (rather foolishly) shot over this edge and down a very steep rocky bank with a 4’ rock at the bottom that acted like a ski jump. We all made it and all stopped to clean out underwear. Lesson number one learnt there, next time a sign says that, stop and look at / walk the obstacle before riding blindly at speed towards it…

Signed on at half three to save an early start on Sunday.

Went back home Saturday night feeling reasonably confident, but also not knowing what to expect competition / field wise. I woke up in the night to the sound of torrential rain. I set off Sunday mid morning in torrential rain. I turned around and headed home in torrential rain.

I went back to pick up my motorcross gear. Having spent too much time in hospitals getting various organs removed, I am now more conscious of injuring myself (I have one kidney left, no spleen, no stomach and half a lung missing, plus my right shoulder is built like terminator). I didn't care if I looked a twat, having been there the day before and seeing all the roots everywhere I knew it was now going to be very, very slippery....so full padding was the order of the day. I didn’t pack the neck brace or knee braces as didn’t want to look a complete fool on a pedal pushbike…

I was number 361. Transponder cable tied to fork leg. Number board on front. I was ready.

I rolled up to the start of the first stage some 30 minutes before race commencement. The E-Bikes were the first group to go, and there were 11 registered, but 10 on the day turned up to race. As the others trickled in, we were all chatting to each other and trying to suss each other out. Most of the group had raced for the last few years on their E-MTB’s, sometimes even being 2 attendees in the race category. I was now starting to feel nervous, which was made worse by the timing beeps being switched on and counting down. So long as I didn’t come last, that was my goal.

Haibike was defiantly the weapon of choice, the full 7 being the chosen model, with a Specialized thrown into the mix (I didn’t see any other brands but I’m not fully up to speed on makes / models yet)

No matter how many times I have lined up on a start grid of a Supersport race (either in this country or abroad), the feeling of butterflies in your stomach, knees like jelly and wanting to vomit inside your crash-hat never goes away. Since hanging up my race leathers / licence in 2004, chasing the outright Nurburgring lap record has almost given the same buzz, but that’s the only thing that has come close.

Now the feeling was back and I was fully pumped.

We were released in 20 second intervals, and by numerical order.

360 set off. Now it was my turn.

The long beep sounded.

I was ready.

10 seconds later, the 5 short beeps chimed. Foot hard on the pedal and GO GO GO.

I shot off like a rocket. Or so I thought. Within 50 yards I was panting like a dominatrix in a dungeon, and looking at the ground 6 inches infront of my wheel….all the things not to do when racing. It was also very slippery and the first section was particularly gloopy. C’mon Mike, pedal the damn thing I thought to myself. I couldn’t see the person infront (mainly because I wasn’t looking up and stumbling from one corner to the next in novice panic), but thought I was going well enough.

Then my world caved in.

Number 362 came past me high on a corner.

Balls.

I tagged onto his coat tails and shadowed him the rest of the way to the bottom. At the end I congratulated him and pedalled up to the start of stage two.

The other trickled up and we all had a good bit of banter again, I said that I would go last this time as I was obviously steady away and didn’t want to hold anyone up. Everyone else went and I was the last E-Bike of the group to go. I gave myself a metaphorical kick up the arse as there was no way I was going to be beaten on time again by everyone. Again the beeps released me and I set off. The red mist had now descended and I pedalled as hard as I could for as long as I could. The bike was bouncing all over the place and just after the first road crossing there were a series of small jumps. I took off on the first one and knew instantly that it had turned to snot. It wasn’t long before the front wheel hit the up slope of the next jump and then it all went Pete Tong. Straight over the bars and into the bracken, bike all tangled up with me. The marshal helped me up by lifting the bike for me, and the adrenaline kicked in. Forks bent all over, computer broken (only the plastic case on the display), levers bent round….the usual decent crash items. I held the front wheel with my knees and yanked on the bars, checked I was clear to go and jumped back on the bike. Handlebars were still bent so had to take it steady and at the next road crossing I quickly pulled up and straightened them up some more as best as I could. Back on the bike again and they were still out slightly but rideable.

Come the end of Stage two and a few of the group were waiting for me. I was grinning like a Cheshire cat as the adrenaline was now well and truly flowing, and dismounted to lick my wounds and straighten the bike again. I twisted brake levers and the bars back into their normal position, and my left side was now covered in mud. I felt OK, but my hips had taken a good whack and I could feel it there – the upper body was fine due to the armour I was wearing, big shout out to Leatt Air Fit body armour….

Our third stage was one especially built for E-MTB’s and included an uphill section. I was now starting to get in the groove and not as nervous, plus this stage although being timed, there were no start beeps – we just went at our own free will (leaving gaps of course) and the electronics picked us up at each end. I could remember most of this stage and was chuffed when I caught the rider infront up (Rich from Race Co Cycles) – albeit if he was having mechanical trouble. I couldn’t get past him as I caught him up at the bottom of the hill section near the end, and the track was narrow for passing so stuck with him knowing that if we crossed the line together I wouldn’t be last on that stage at least (and he was going at a reasonable pace also).

Onto the final stage and the elite group of riders had already caught us up and some were going through the timing gear already. There was about half a dozen of us and again I let the rest go first with me bringing up the rear of the E-Bikes category. This was the stage with the steep drop off and I had already made my mind up to do the chicken run instead off the cliff, but when I got to the fork it had been closed due to being too slippery and dangerous. I went as fast as I could and half way down the stage saw the rider infront.

YES.

The red mist descended again and that instantly overtook my talent. Traversing across some slippery roots I got all tangled up and again decided that I needed a quick rest and inspect the dirt at close quarters. As it was on quite a steep hill, both myself and the bike slipped down a fair bit and out of the tape. Back in the course and on the bike, I had lost sight of the rider infront and shot out at the end of the run feeling excited, elated and sore…

The rest of the group were waiting for me and we all pedalled back to the car park, nattering as we went and chewing the fat on life in general. After snipping off the transponder and handing it back, we all congregated infront of the big screen to see the live results / times. I was gutted. Last out of 10. Although my second stage time wasn’t up for some reason (was I that slow with my crash???), but eventually it was displayed and I was promoted to 8th out of ten. Get in. I didn’t finish last.

Looking at my times, I was 4th fastest on the special stage, and lower half of all the other stages – my crash made me last on stage 2 by about a minute (no surprises there).

Bike back in the car and then drove home, adrenaline wearing off and feeling very stiff on my left hip (getting out to fill up with petrol was entertaining to say the least).

Would I do one again? Hell yeah. Where do I sign up?

Highly recommended, I met some great people in the category and I encourage everyone to have a go at least once in their life and an event such as this. Expect to see me in several races next year, I have found a new buzz….

randr-photo-1786053-5200px.jpg randr-photo-1786837-1000px.jpg randr-photo-1793081-3500px (1).jpg upload_2016-10-18_9-20-54.png

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Could you expand on this a bit more?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Brilliant right up Highside. :)

Nice to see someone put their mony where their mouth is so to speak, and actually ride down hill, instead of just taliking about it. You certainly have more balls than me. :) Cross country/enduro yes, but not down hill.

You made me laugh about your supersport comment.
I raced with Bemsee in 2004 and 2005, initially Rookie 400 along side SS400 and then in the only proper pure race class GP250.
I recall that the Supertwins class were always out before us when I did Rookie 400, and without fail when at Brands, one of the riders would bail out at Clearways, and without fail our race would always be delayed. Sitting in that holding area, after having just watched a rider bin it big time, along with the lengthy delay was bloody horrid.

Worse though was the GP125/250 class though. I would find myslef litterally puking up inside the crash helmet. Nerves were one thing, but what used to get me was the Avgas. Even now sitting here, just the thought of Avgas makes me feel ill.

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Brilliant right up Highside. :)

Nice to see someone put their mony where their mouth is so to speak, and actually ride down hill, instead of just taliking about it. You certainly have more balls than me. :) Cross country/enduro yes, but not down hill.

You made me laugh about your supersport comment.
I raced with Bemsee in 2004 and 2005, initially Rookie 400 along side SS400 and then in the only proper pure race class GP250.
I recall that the Supertwins class were always out before us when I did Rookie 400, and without fail when at Brands, one of the riders would bail out at Clearways, and without fail our race would always be delayed. Sitting in that holding area, after having just watched a rider bin it big time, along with the lengthy delay was bloody horrid.

Worse though was the GP125/250 class though. I would find myslef litterally puking up inside the crash helmet. Nerves were one thing, but what used to get me was the Avgas. Even now sitting here, just the thought of Avgas makes me feel ill.
To be fair Eddie, I'm not one for the big jumps - I don't mind the little ones but leave the bigger stuff for the youngsters to launch off / bounce down. This to me was more like an enduro trail, but I've not had any other races to compare though. The rest of the locations are similar terrain (so I'm led to believe) so encourage anyone to have a go, it really was good fun and apparently this was the best E-Bike turn out ever in this country. A couple of the regulars (the ones who won) said that sometimes it has been just two of them in the category, but they were pleased to also see so many more.

I was in the Axeman / 600 class with MRO. Started on RGV250's though as you can't beat the smell of Castrol R and the ring ding of a stroker - always wanted a Honda RS250 and still trawl e-bay every now and then with the credit card twitching...envious that you rode one though.

Reactions: LeighPing

Related Articles

Advertisers