Emtb with Atrial Fibrilation

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I, ve had permanent AF for about 3 years. Started with occasional attacks, then persistent one s, then went permanent.
Kept active as poss throughout and built upto a decent pace /endurance after initially really struggling.
10 days or so ago had 2nd Ablation. Heart in perfect ryhthm and thumping hard again.
Just completed my first emtb ride in Rhythm for at least 3 years. What a difference. Bike feels like it has another higher power level, didn't feel knackered and sleepy afterwards, in fact felt like I could go again.
AF is really common, after speaking with friends it's amazing how many actually suffer from it.
Anybody else on here who ebikes and has AF? Would be good to here your experiences.
So glad I put effort in and made myself ebike when really I felt like doing nowt. Comparing biking pre ablation is like comparing ordinary mtb with emtb. Can't remember enjoying a ride as much as this morning. Fantastic.

Screenshot_20221122_132646_com.GiantGroup.app.RideControl2.jpg

Not a hard ride around Lady B but not far off 2000 ft height gain. All on tracks, paths and puddles.
(On Fathom 2)

Last edited:

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
That is a problem that I have, AF. First diagnosed January 2020. Had visited the doctor who did not have the faintest idea what was wrong, couple of days later I nearly collapsed and my wife took me to A&E. They soon gave me an ECG and diagnosed the problem. Now I am on bisprolol which seems to be keeping control.
Took me a number of weeks to gradually rebuild my strength. Could not do any cycling, which had been recommended, because my bike was useless and had gone back to the factory for a re-build. But that is another story.
I had to buy another bike and have not looked back since then. I do not undertake the strenuous cycling you obviously do, but keep to roads and tracks. Some of our trips can be 30 plus miles.

Good luck with your cycling.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Looking like a great day for Lady Bower and emtb..!!
IMG_20221207_191108.jpg

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Hi @Zlatan - great to hear of your new found zeal for the cycling
  • I've had 6 bouts of persistent AF in the last 5yrs which lead to my TSDZ2 build in Oct 21
  • AF currently under control (Amiodarone - a short term solution) and back to my normal 60-100 miles a week (when it's not cold/wet that is)
  • I'm going for my 1st ablation Monday (6th Feb23).
  • I know that a further ablation might be necessary but reading of your experiences shows that not all is lost.
Happy days.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
  • Hi @Zlatan - great to hear of your new found zeal for the cycling
  • I've had 6 bouts of persistent AF in the last 5yrs which lead to my TSDZ2 build in Oct 21
  • AF currently under control (Amiodarone - a short term solution) and back to my normal 60-100 miles a week (when it's not cold/wet that is)
  • I'm going for my 1st ablation Monday (6th Feb23).
  • I know that a further ablation might be necessary but reading of your experiences shows that not all is lost.
Happy days.
That sounds so similar to my story. So far 2nd ablation has worked perfect. Got loads more energy and endurance, as a precaution gave up all alcohol last Sept. Noticed if I had a drink (even a small one) it was generally followed by an AF bout..
Good luck with yours..

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
........gave up all alcohol last Sept. Noticed if I had a drink (even a small one) it was generally followed by an AF bout..
It's a key thing to try and identify the triggers and they vary from folk to folk. For me it was cycling too energetically for too long. E.g one episode was triggered by a 100 mile day on an unassisted bike at which point the penny dropped and along came the e-bike and more typically 30-mile rides. The psychological transformation from hard cycling to something more leisurely was the hardest part but now I'm back to getting the same high levels of enjoyment from cycling that I had before.
Good luck with yours..
Thanks.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's a key thing to try and identify the triggers and they vary from folk to folk. For me it was cycling too energetically for too long. E.g one episode was triggered by a 100 mile day on an unassisted bike at which point the penny dropped and along came the e-bike and more typically 30-mile rides. The psychological transformation from hard cycling to something more leisurely was the hardest part but now I'm back to getting the same high levels of enjoyment from cycling that I had before.

Thanks.
One of blokes I now ebike with started having AF episodes after long hard cycle rides.

Went windsurfing today and heart /endurance was great,feet were freezing tho.
Would have struggled in AF, and as a bonus GPS watch I wear (for speeds /distance) has heart rate monitor built in. Kept heart at fairly constant 130bpm (and steady) for 90 mins.
If my experience is similar to yours second ablation will get you sorted.

Last edited:

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
The only treatment I am getting is bisiprolol to control heart rate and apixaban blood thinner. Consultant decided best keep to that bearing in mind my age.
What is really annoying is knowing why it started, GP insisted I needed to double my dosage of doxasosin to control blood pressure. Too late i read about it on line and the heart problems linked. Of course, it would be impossible to prove in court.
Nowadays I stick to the tablets that seem OK and ignore his big ideas.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The only treatment I am getting is bisiprolol to control heart rate and apixaban blood thinner. Consultant decided best keep to that bearing in mind my age.
What is really annoying is knowing why it started, GP insisted I needed to double my dosage of doxasosin to control blood pressure. Too late i read about it on line and the heart problems linked. Of course, it would be impossible to prove in court.
Nowadays I stick to the tablets that seem OK and ignore his big ideas.
I sometimes wonder if my prescription of Beta Blockers (Inderel) for what was mildly high blood pressure (at the time) caused my AF. Since read there is a link between the two but then again there is also a link between spinal injury (around T1) and AF. (apparently many folk with injuries in this region go on to develop AF, but then again so do much of population.)
Doctors suggest my training/sports in younger days, the Inderel, high blood pressure or the neck injury could each have contributed. Suspect they simply don't know. (seems a higher proportion of long distance sport people develop AF in later life than population as a whole??)

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
As more data is collected then the more knowledge as to what triggers AF becomes known, but it certainly isn't an exact science.

The best an individual can do, and this includes anyone, not just cyclists/sports people aged 60 or over, is to be as pro active as possible about their health, especially in the context of possible AF.

For instance, I and a lot of my fellow cyclists use heart rate monitors, and it is surprising how many spot an irregularity in heart rate early on and get treated and avoid premature escalation to a worsen condition.

As for what medicine gets prescribed, one really needs to look into its efficacy (or otherwise) and get a good understanding about all aspects of it - it's called a Doctors PRACTICE for a reason. :confused:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Totally agree about being proactive towards health. Exercising, sleeping, eating right etc etc. We all know what we should and shouldn't be doing. On the AF side I, m not sure how I could have behaved differently had I picked it up earlier? I think one of problems with AF is that there seems in inevitability with its progress until that stage its impinging so much an ablation is called for. Cardio versions, even early on, had only very short term improvements for me. There seemed little way of preventing my slide from occasional to regular bouts and on to permanent AF. Which once I arrived at I was actually happier. I had it to deal with and wasn't thinking I could have it come on whilst out. I was in it full time. Take it steady and get on with things was my frame of mind. (hence ebike)??
I really don't know, and nobody has offered an explanation, as to how I could have avoided AF?? Or slowed it's progression.??
I, ve never smoked, hardly drunk, always eaten well and always exercised?
(ex PE teacher)
Seems there should be far more done to find what actually causes it and how to avoid it.?? Especially so as it seems to becoming far more common?

Last edited:

moorsie

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2020
I was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation in March 2019, but at the time I was morbidly obese and extremely unfit. I bought an e-bike to help me get out cycling, within 18 months I had dropped 13.5 stone and reduced the frequency of my episodes of AF significantly. Anyone who things e-bikes aren't a workout... well imho you are wrong!

My triggers are seemingly stress, caffeine and alcohol, I've tried to give up all three - but stress is proving a challenge - exercise however has not seemingly caused an issue, even after doing a hiking marathon last year on the Jurassic Coast, I was still fine.

Medication wise, I am naturally bradycardic - my resting pulse is 42bpm, so bisoprolol was a complete no-no for me, I used to be on Flecainide daily, but now just have it pill-in-pocket in case of an episode. Typically I go back in sinus within 12-24 hours.

I was due to have an ablation, but my cardiologist decided as I had done so well on my own, it wasn't worth doing.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I went back into permanent AF 15th March. Found everything really hard work for a few weeks but got back to 20 mile ebike rides and probs 90 mins windsurfing.
My Garmin fitness tracker (Fenix 5) had my fitness age as 45 (pre 15th March), jumped to 60 in3 days.. And I, m often scoring 5 on training effort (HR based), effectively saying I, m over doing training. (highest score pre 15th March was 3.2)Wanting to discuss how much is too much whilst in AF,but Consultant very difficult to consult with. (set watch to vibrate when HR goes over 160,often see 170 whilst biking /windsurfing..)
Coping OK in AF but definitely no as much energy/motivation. Don't think I want another ablation or cardioversion.??
Good luck with yours.
Seems odd I can do as much as I can when I take pulse or look at heart rate readout. Pulse is all over.. And generally high. Watch no longer recognises me sleeping. Measured sleep perfect pre 15th March.,???

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Why wouldn't getting a pacemaker installed work?
Your own heart pulse has to be almost eliminated and then pace maker take over.(ie pace maker fine for very slow heart rates) but for the confused situation with such as mine, further confusion can result with the additional "pulses" of pace maker.
It is possible but I believe would require even more drugs to slow HR, then pace maker can take control. Don't fancy that either. (discussed with consultant a few years ago).??

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm interested in this sort of thing, because my ticker isn't too well either:

The weight loss drug Wegovy reduces serious heart disease

A clinical trial suggests the drug could help people avoid the world’s leading cause of death.

Weight-loss drug Wegovy produces ‘largest benefit ever seen’ for patients with most common form of heart failure, trial finds

Novo Nordisk A/S: Semaglutide 2.4 mg reduces the risk of major adverse cardiovascular events by 20% in adults with overweight or obesity in the SELECT trial

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers