Enthusiasm from thousands of miles away

NWEV

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2013
Hello folks. It seems right to join a group such as this because of my background and interest. I hope to integrate battery/electric augmentation into the cycles that I build so that I and my friends can travel farther than by human power alone. Since I will ask for your opinions on certain subjects it may help to begin by telling a bit about my experience. Back in the day of friction shifters and toe-clips I owned a small bicycle shop. On one special day I was involved in a crash with another cyclist. This left me with some physical challenges. The desire to get back into cycling led to the creation of an arm/leg powered three wheeled tadpole recumbent. These have evolved for 25 years and I am now ready for something exciting in the manner of added propulsion. These cycles would make excellent platforms for the the addition of a motor and batteries ...especially since I build each one from the ground up and can make changes where needed. I have done just enough research to peak my interest, and would enjoy hearing from any of you who may want to share ideas. The drive-train arrangement is a two-stage system that utilizes a mid-drive cassette halfway between the front crankset and the rear wheel cassette/der. This mid-drive (which provides 5 gear options) is where I'd like to incorporate the motor. Now, to keep this post from becoming a novel, I should get to the point. I favor using a motor in this location because the higher rpm range would allow for more efficient power through the gears to the wheel. This is where I'm looking for ideas. I'd like to more about pedelec components that can be adapted through custom framework to supplement rider inputs?
I owned a Giant LaFree Lite years ago and I liked the idea of pedal power 'augmentation', but it didn't address my needs because of the two-wheeler format. Am I limited to Panasonic motors? Maybe that's not a bad thing.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hello!! Not quite sure what you meant above as it is very technical talk for me.. Ayhow 'hi' and welcome!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The best crank drive units normally integrate the bottom bracket just like the Panasonic unit you are familiar with from the Lafree, needing drive into the torque sensor at that point to get any power. There are two exceptions, the Sunstar SO3 kit that mounts into an existing bottom bracket frame position, and the Tonaro unit that is throttle controlled but would have to be bought as a spare since it normally only comes in the bikes.

There are also some less sophisticated throttle controlled crank unit kits, one very adaptable make being Cyclone, which can be mounted and configured in various ways with single or twin motors. GNG are another make of these mid drives, though the mounting may be less adaptable.

The Sunstar is quite low powered, the Tonaro much better in this respect and the Cyclone has a whole range of available powers. Strictly speaking only 250 watt maximum ratings are legally permitted on e-bikes and trikes in the EU, UK and some other markets, but I don't know where you are at 1000s of miles distant.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Are you building something like these ?

Utah Trikes Video - What is a Trike?

I don't know if I'm understanding your setup at the moment but reading what you wrote about the drivetrain arrangement got me thinking about the construction of these bikes, which have a mid-mounted hub motor with double freewheel, so that the rider and the motor run in series :

Hanebrink Review: The Original Fat Electric Bike | ELECTRICBIKE.COM

Might such an arrangement work with your tadpole recumbent design subject to appropriate frame design to accommodate the mid-drive motor ?