Ex-hire or Juicy or ?

dirtmother

Just Joined
Nov 11, 2012
If I do go for an electric bicycle the two most obvious avenues to explore where we live are getting an ex-hire Giant (various options: Escapes 1 and 2 and Twist) from the Electric Bicycle Network scheme hub at Carsington, or new from Juicy Bikes in Buxton, with the prices to us not really much different, depending on extras on the Juicy bikes. Any thoughts on the relative merits?

I should probably go for step through as my hips don't like getting over a crossbar.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I would suggest you take both groups of bikes for as long & varied a ride as the sellers will allow. What are the terms of the guarantees offered? Read through the reviews of bikes - better to find out sooner than later.
J and I are happy with two years of Juicy biking, but realise they aren't everybody's choice.
Happy e-biking,
Tom

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi DM
You would be very welcome to come and try from our shop, Eco Republic in Buxton, or from our New Mills workshop where there is a wider variety of bikes to try, including some ex-demo discounted. Both shops have decent hills nearby.
Main difference between the bikes (apart from price) is in the driven wheel. Compared to the front-wheel driven Giants our rear-wheel drives are more stable on gravel. I cannot find the wattage for the Giant motor.
Our battery position is also lower than the Giant, which makes our bike a lot less top-heavy.
We also use disk brakes front and back, which are better in the wet.
The throttle is also available as an option on our Classic bike.
Our ex-demo bikes are also hardly ridden compared to the ex-hire bikes that are currently being offered by Giant.
Many of our customers do try a Giant before coming to us, as they have swamped the local hire outlets with their bikes, offering the bike hire companies deals we can not compete with. But we often hear that our bikes are more powerful and responsive than the Giants so benefit from their marketing ( :) ).

You should compare specs between the two bikes: the battery capacity, voltage and power of the motor measured in Watts. We offer a wide choice of batteries in 2AH steps from 10AH to 16AH, so you don't buy any more than you need. (For 90% of our customers, the standard 10AH is more than sufficient.)

I do hope you can come over for a try after trying a Giant, then we can get your feedback.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
a 2nd hand bike probably better value then x hire, it will most likely have suffered heavy use even if serviced. Many of us dip our toes into e biking with a used bike, and to my mind a good used better then a not so good new

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Both the Giant Escape models are rear-wheel drives, very torquey too. Also the Escape 1 has hydraulic rim brakes that IMHO have much better feel than disc. Give the Giant a good ride as well, Fulford Cycles in York have ex-demo Giants at much reduced prices and they come with full warranty.