First attempt ebike conversion

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I have access to three or four ebikes A 24 volt 250 watt front drive folder Which is surprisingly efficient although limited to legal limits I only ever use pedal assist level 2 on the thing as its all Aluminium apart from the front forks so very light A raleigh folder which is legal rear drive shopper which I find very heavy but it is the wifes favourite I have built a raleigh Evo with a 250 watt kit rear drive That is entertaining as its unlocked .A careera vengeance (very bland and heavy & not very good ) and an Eleglide with Aluminium frame very light unlocked to 24 MPH has a throttle and a very good battery life My favourite out of them all is the Eleglide (£650 from geek buying ) for longer easier rides 24 MPH maximum is plenty fast enough on a bike The one common thing between them all is that they are geared hubs You need the most assistance when climbing hills It will come to a point that the police start stopping ebikes that look like they have illegal hubs very soon
I'm interested in your experience with the Eleglide - they seem very good value - which model is it ? Which battery - what sort of range are you getting ? How long have you had it ? How has the support / customer service been ?

Reactions: johnGN

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I'm interested in your experience with the Eleglide - they seem very good value - which model is it ? Which battery - what sort of range are you getting ? How long have you had it ? How has the support / customer service been ?
Interesting video, the guy reviews the Eleglide M1 Plus and how to set the max speed to 20 mph using the app on his phone.

These are on eBay for £665.99. Specs say it has a 12ah battery

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

johnGN

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2024
Had the bike since December 2023 it has a 12.5 Ah battery All aluminium frame so very lightweight I paid £650 It never really gets a lot of miles put on it Range seems to be easily over 20 miles though very good on hills I did unlock it so it could get about a bit faster though Not needed any customer support at all fitted the thumb throttle Has a front light already fitted but no back light which I thought was a bit odd I think the controller is inbuilt into the battery holder I have got a light splitter cable Y one to two I may get a rear light and put on it at some time Overall I would rate it a lot higher than the carrera vengeance the two boys own as theirs have had issues with the pedal sensor ripping out of the wiring harness Manufactures state in electric mode range is 31 miles in pas mode 60 mile They are very easy to alter the speed setting it is in the supplied manual

johnGN

Apr 4, 2024
Interesting video, the guy reviews the Eleglide M1 Plus and how to set the max speed to 20 mph using the app on his phone.

These are on eBay for £665.99. Specs say it has a 12ah battery

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I didn't even know they had released an App Feel sure that over 20 is available though depending of course on road conditions and weather I think most of the 250 watt hubs are really 350 watt the 12.5 ah battery is the plus model there are 7.5 Ah versions but I went for the 12.5 ah version

johnGN

Apr 4, 2024
Noticed there was an Eleglide M2 with hydraulic disc brakes, a more powerful motor and 15Ah battery in 27.5 or 29 inch wheels - e.g. https://www.infinityebikes.co.uk/product/eleglide-m2/
Yes just found it on Amazon Tires also are also something like 2.3 iinstead of 2.1 Depends if you want better brakes and 2.5 ah more for the £100 or so extra Brakes maybe a better option but tires I could just get larger profile myself as for the battery thats got to be a plus point but how far do you cycle in one trip ? More powerful motor ? maybe but does that mean over 250 watt so no CE mark

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Yes just found it on Amazon Tires also are also something like 2.3 iinstead of 2.1 Depends if you want better brakes and 2.5 ah more for the £100 or so extra Brakes maybe a better option but tires I could just get larger profile myself as for the battery thats got to be a plus point but how far do you cycle in one trip ? More powerful motor ? maybe but does that mean over 250 watt so no CE mark
I'd definitely recommend hydraulic brakes (though it's dead easy and cheap to upgrade from manual disc brakes - you can get them off AliExpress). Yes, the max continuous rated power on the M2 is 250W also - seems good value for £699

johnGN

Apr 4, 2024
I'd definitely recommend hydraulic brakes (though it's dead easy and cheap to upgrade from manual disc brakes - you can get them off AliExpress). Yes, the max continuous rated power on the M2 is 250W also - seems good value for £699
Bit confusing the wattage I think I have got the idea though max continuous 250 but can peak at a higher figure .So dependent on windings and controller/battery It could peak at twice as much for a limited amount of time when under a load like a hill .Thanks for the info on Aliexpress for looking at hydraulic disc conversion :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Bit confusing the wattage I think I have got the idea though max continuous 250 but can peak at a higher figure .So dependent on windings and controller/battery It could peak at twice as much for a limited amount of time when under a load like a hill .Thanks for the info on Aliexpress for looking at hydraulic disc conversion :)
You should look for the hydraulic brakes with switches in them. Here are some:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
250w is the rated power of the motor, which is what the law requires. That has nothing to do with how much power it uses or gives for which there is no limit.