First non E-commute

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Over the winter I have been building up my fitness on my new non Ebike.

Its a Moulton TSR2. Twenty inch wheels with high pressure tyres, belt driven with a two speed kick back hub. Kick back slightly to change gear or further to apply brake. This means it only has one cable to the front brake which makes it easy as the bike can also be split in two, so again can be carried in and stored in my office. The bike is also fully suspended front and back, which makes it very comfortable to ride. I had thought of putting a Tongxin in it, but had resisted.

Anyway today was my first unassisted commute on this bike. It actually took me about 5 mins longer than using my EBrompton. I was surprised at how my fitness has obviously improved over the last 12 months.

My commute is 5.25 miles each way. I know for many cyclist this would seem like no big deal, but for me with insulin dependant diabetes and a previous back injury it is quite an achievement. I need to make sure I carry orange juice for those low blood sugar moments though :eek:

Anyway I still have to cycle home yet. It is Cambridge though so no real hills just a few inclines.

I still plan to use my EBrompton maybe two/three days a week or if the weather is grotty, but hopefully I can ride a lot more of the summer unassisted.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Try splitting it if it gets too much that way you are not pushing too hard. I will also be gradually changing over next month as my knee is pretty much healed. I am going to buy a Trek 1.5 race bike which i shall commute on when its not raining, I have signed up for my first 100 mile sportive so need to get fitter :eek:

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks.

It looks like spring might finally be here and with it new opportunities and challenges :)

Regards

Jerry

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Good going, I'd like to try it more often but I'm still looking for a bike I like riding that doesn't cost much. Road bikes aren't usually geared low enough for the hills I go up and down. :(

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I should expand on my split comment as i reckon there are two ways of doing it. My idea is to have the powered bike one way to work and use the non powered bike home and vice versa so you have the option of powered or non powered. This assumes you have secure storage at work for the bike being stored at work.

Or you could just split it one day powered one day normal bike.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Good going, I'd like to try it more often but I'm still looking for a bike I like riding that doesn't cost much. Road bikes aren't usually geared low enough for the hills I go up and down. :(

You would need to stay away from the compacts and go for a triple that should be ok. Or one of the best non powered commuting bikes is the non powered version of my bike the Trek FX 7.5.

It really is a shock the first time you hit your big hill and you have no help :eek:

After a while you start to think your electric bike is not really helping you, talk about delusional :D

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I don't have much budget for a spare bike and anything reasonable seems to cost a lot 2nd hand. I've got a good road bike but it's not great for commuting.
If I was closer to work I might not be so fussy.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Strangely cycling home was hard work even though there are more downclines (is that a new word) on the way back.

I suspect it was the fact that I had already cycled in and my muscles were still recovering from shock.

Certainly was a great day to cycle, glorious sunshine. I think tomorrow will be on the EBrompton, maybe trying to cycle non assisted a couple of time a week to begin with :p

Strange how I noticed more assisted bikes especially when they passed me :mad:

Regards

Jerry

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Hi Jerry,

Getting more exercise looks like a great excuse for getting a nice flash looking new bike :D ;)

Given the free running nature of the Tongxin in your Brompton couldn't you just ride that unassisted and only use the motor when/if you get tired? That way you know you've always got it if you need it.

That's what I do. Sometimes I set off feeling tired, expecting to use the motor and surprise myself if I don't need it. Other days I expect to be fine unassisted but am then really grateful for the assistance when I struggle up the first hill.

On the other hand I guess if you don't have the motor you're forced to pedal...

Very nice looking bike by the way.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Pedalo yes that is an option but knowing that the motor is there, the minute I start to struggle the temptation to use it is too much for me :eek:

The TSR2 with its 20" wheels and full suspension front and back unlike the Brompton's slightly smaller wheels and rear suspesion only, means that it is a lovely bike to ride especially on our rubbish roads.

Despite thinking I would not ride in again today it was so lovely that I went for it. Reducing my average speed down a couple of mile/hr also meant that I seemed to cope better.

I am hoping to use the TSR2 a lot this summer but suspect the Brompton will get used when I need to pop into shops or when its windy/grotty weather.

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well looks like the EBrompton isn't going to be retired any time soon :eek:

After two days commuting under my own steam today I came in on my leccy Brompton.

It was windy, I was knackered and man did I appreciate that motor more!

As I said, I intend to build up over the summer starting by commuting in under my own power maybe a couple of times a week.

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Over the winter I have been building up my fitness on my new non Ebike.

Its a Moulton TSR2. Twenty inch wheels with high pressure tyres, belt driven with a two speed kick back hub. Kick back slightly to change gear or further to apply brake. This means it only has one cable to the front brake which makes it easy as the bike can also be split in two, so again can be carried in and stored in my office. The bike is also fully suspended front and back, which makes it very comfortable to ride. I had thought of putting a Tongxin in it, but had resisted.

Anyway today was my first unassisted commute on this bike. It actually took me about 5 mins longer than using my EBrompton. I was surprised at how my fitness has obviously improved over the last 12 months.

My commute is 5.25 miles each way. I know for many cyclist this would seem like no big deal, but for me with insulin dependant diabetes and a previous back injury it is quite an achievement. I need to make sure I carry orange juice for those low blood sugar moments though :eek:

Anyway I still have to cycle home yet. It is Cambridge though so no real hills just a few inclines.

I still plan to use my EBrompton maybe two/three days a week or if the weather is grotty, but hopefully I can ride a lot more of the summer unassisted.

Regards

Jerry
Jerry has riding electric improved your fitness level a lot? How long have you been riding electric and did you cycle unassisted much before that?

I only recently got back into cycling.. hadn't cycled since my childhood and although I'm reasonably fit from doing jogging every day, I found it tiring on the legs doing more than 3 miles so much so I could barely walk when I dismounted. Saying that my bike wasn't very good, just an old second-hand MTB which is probably why I only used it very occasionally.

On electric I can do four times the distance I could unassisted and I feel just a light level of exercise on the legs.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My leccy Brompton has been taking me too and from work most days (excluding when there is ice and snow) for about 15 months (1300 miles). Before that I had not ridden more than a mile or two for years. I am 50.

Initially I did try putting in more effort to see how long I could make the battery last but it is so easy not to when you know the motor is but a thumb press away.

Mid last year I also restored an old Raleigh Moulton MK3 and was using that at weekends slowly building up to 2 or 3 miles etc each trip. Then in October last year I got the new TSR2 for my 50th birthday from my wife. I now ride that most Saturday and Sundays for a 30min ride or so covering 5 miles plus. This week was my first attempt to commute the 10 mile round trip to and back from work on it. Clearly the practise over the winter has helped prepare me fore this.

Before I fitted my first kit to an old APB (a few months before I did my Brompton) I could barely cycle a mile on it before gasping for air and hurting all over.

E-cycling has therefore launched me back into bikes and I am having a great time in this refound hobby.

PS IMHO the whole can't walk thing is not really about lack of fitness but just getting use to being in the saddle and getting over the abrasion/hard spot that causes pain. If you jog every day once your rear gets use to being on a saddle again I suspect you will be fine.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
My leccy Brompton has been taking me too and from work most days (excluding when there is ice and snow) for about 15 months (1300 miles). Before that I had not ridden more than a mile or two for years. I am 50.

Initially I did try putting in more effort to see how long I could make the battery last but it is so easy not to when you know the motor is but a thumb press away.

Mid last year I also restored an old Raleigh Moulton MK3 and was using that at weekends slowly building up to 2 or 3 miles etc each trip. Then in October last year I got the new TSR2 for my 50th birthday from my wife. I now ride that most Saturday and Sundays for a 30min ride or so covering 5 miles plus. This week was my first attempt to commute the 10 mile round trip to and back from work on it. Clearly the practise over the winter has helped prepare me fore this.

Before I fitted my first kit to an old APB (a few months before I did my Brompton) I could barely cycle a mile on it before gasping for air and hurting all over.

E-cycling has therefore launched me back into bikes and I am having a great time in this refound hobby.

PS IMHO the whole can't walk thing is not really about lack of fitness but just getting use to being in the saddle and getting over the abrasion/hard spot that causes pain. If you jog every day once your rear gets use to being on a saddle again I suspect you will be fine.

Regards

Jerry
There's so many economic and environment benefits with electric bikes but adjusting back to cycling and getting fit like you're doing is surely really beneficial for long-term health.

I think you're absolutely right about my own situation with feeling the pain after cycling any distance unassisted.. as I don't cycle very often and try to go long distances when I do, I think it's just a case of over-exerting the leg muscles as you said. I should follow your example and try and cycle more regularly to use those muscles more..I'm 40 btw. I'm keen to cycle unassisted still for health and fitness, and will use the electric to go longer distances as I don't drive.. I think resisting the temptation of flicking the switch will be hard as you said.. having a good comfortable unassisted bike too sounds like a good idea.