Folding 20" bike that also rolls

Unclened

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2022
Hi all,

I'm 6"4 and weigh 108kg. I'm hoping for some advice on a folding ebike that also rolls well when it's folded. I have bought a btwin 500e but I'm returning it as it's a nightmare to keep folded and does not roll at all. I've looked at the Brompton electric bike but I find the 16" wheels are too small for me and bike is quite skittish when riding. I'd like something that will allow me to occasionally do a 20km commute with a train ride home.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I've looked at the Brompton electric bike but I find the 16" wheels are too small for me and bike is quite skittish when riding.
Often that is an initial reaction, but you do get used to it. Appreciate that a great many Bromptons have been sold and are in regular use.

Be intersted in other forum members comments, no problems getting a folded Brompton on a train or bus, but a 20" wheeled folder is going to be fairly large in comparison.

Do people have problems getting non-Bromptons onto trains and where do you put them.

Unclened

Just Joined
Aug 31, 2022
Often that is an initial reaction, but you do get used to it. Appreciate that a great many Bromptons have been sold and are in regular use.

Be intersted in other forum members comments, no problems getting a folded Brompton on a train or bus, but a 20" wheeled folder is going to be fairly large in comparison.

Do people have problems getting non-Bromptons onto trains and where do you put them.
Thank you for the reply. When I spoke to the folk at Evans, they also said they wouldnt recommend a Brompton for a daily commute of 20km and when I rode one, I felt that although they are very well made, it would be difficult doing this regularly over that distance and I feel a 20" bike is a decent compromise. I took my Btwin 500e to Richmond park the other day for a 25km ride and other than a sore arse from the saddle, it felt manageable. The issue is that the 500e is not rated for my body weight and I cannot attach a lock or pannier to it as it will only make it heavier.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Thank you for the reply. When I spoke to the folk at Evans, they also said they wouldnt recommend a Brompton for a daily commute of 20km
I would tend to agree, but you said 'occasionally do a 20km commute' and for that I would not see a problem.

But do consider the getting it on the train bit, even if you do find one that rolls.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Perhaps the designers of some 20" wheeled folding bikes intend them to be carried in car boots and suchlike only? My 20" Dahon conversion folds and rolls, but the huge 19.2ah battery on the rear rack makes it far less balanced when doing so, than before conversion. @cyclebuddy reported that his folded Fiido trolleys:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Mine used to fold to a 30cm depth, but it's a little deeper now post-conversion. No problems on buses (when there is no coincidental requirement for folding bikes to be bagged and folded to the exact measuremets of the Brompton's folded size) - trains can be a bit trickier if there's no time to find a bike carriage section - most of my train journeys are short so it's no biggy standing with it near the door... and it fits on the racks (D-locked, cabled, gps shock detect enabled) for longer trips. 22.1kg is a bit of a heave onto the train.

Sanjuro

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2018
I have a Kudos secret, it has 20inch wheels, I bought a bag for it. I've taken it on a london bus. I put it in the section for prams and that was fine, I've taken it on the national express coach no probably there. I've taken it on the train, there that was a probably because there wasn't much space and I had to keep moving it all the time. It's not easy to carry around but I much prefer 20 inch wheels to 16 inch.

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
In order to roll along when folded the wheels need to remain parallel. The Raleigh Stoweway and Raleigh Evo (both the same bike but the Evo version is exclusive to Halfords), have magnets that keep the wheels parallel when folded. Then with the handlebars still up it is easy to push the folded bike along in front of you and is very manoeuvrable. If some way of keeping your existing folder’s wheels parallel it may become easier to manoeuvre when folded.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
@cyclebuddy reported that his folded Fiido trolleys:
Yes, the Fiido D11/21 "trolleys" in that it can be pushed along in folded form. It's demonstrated in the ebiketips video I posted on my Fiido D11 review.

The Btwin 500e is a pretty limp 24v system to carry a 6'4" rider weighing 108kgs. The Fiido is far better at 36v and 120kg loading, but I'd think a 6'4" rider is going to find the short frame a bit too cramped.

Reactions: guerney

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think the stipulation for putting a bike on a train at any time is that it does fold. I don't think there is any size stipulation. I have seen people with 26" wheel bikes that fold, and are allowed on a rush hour train. Obviously check with the train company where that you intend to use.

RiderJake

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2022
Yes, the Fiido D11/21 "trolleys" in that it can be pushed along in folded form. It's demonstrated in the ebiketips video I posted on my Fiido D11 review.

The Btwin 500e is a pretty limp 24v system to carry a 6'4" rider weighing 108kgs. The Fiido is far better at 36v and 120kg loading, but I'd think a 6'4" rider is going to find the short frame a bit too cramped.
Let me ask you. When you're over 6 feet tall, what size frame and wheels would be optimal?