Folding Ebike for commuting in UK

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can save weight by using a light fork on the front and for supension use a boingy stem or proper name shockstop stem with 20mm damping, they aren't exactly cheap but Redshift make one and one fits various elastomers inside to suit the rider weight.

For my ute the seating position felt a bit cramped to the bars so I replaced the 80mm stem with a 120mm shockstop one, I found an exact copy on AliExp for < £43 delivered so with the 650b 47 tyres the ride should even be better.

Last edited:

tbu987

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 2, 2022
Have you seen how bad Sterling is doing at the moment?

That's 13% drop in the last 6 months against the US Dollar.

whichever bike you decide on, you should buy it soon.
Prices can only go up with rampant inflation.
I have no choice than increasing my prices too.
The Rambletta will go up by £70 from 01-October.
Damn that's looking rough. Yeah I've pretty much made my decision and want to buy the Rambletta suspension version. Looks like I've gotta wait till Monday now to call up and make the order.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One Q I haven't seen asked or mentioned ?
Wow, haven't seen that before - looks like it could hold rather a looong rear rack. Load limit of said rack would probably need to be quite low though, to prevent those rear wheels collapsing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do keep several resolutions of the same photo on the server. The hires version gives good level of details when zoomed in. This one is medium res (1000 x 700 pixels).

An old version of Adobe Imageready could squeeze that down without losing much visual quality, or the hi-res version for that matter. Or Fireworks has even more tricks, Lightroom, I think a good free Windows utility is Fastone Image Browser, also GIMP.

I don't know what happened there. The connection to the server is not metered
Too many weird stalls is why I quit using unmetered - it's very rare they assign sufficient CPU or RAM (CMSs thrash RAM and CPU, especially when dealing with images. Many under resourced hosts intermittently fail functions without customers noticing), it's only usually just enough to remind you that you should have bought their better product, which they offer to upgrade you to. I test for weeks before I buy substantially from new hosting providers, because the fsckups are not worth the grief. I wouldn't even start testing UK2.NET

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I took the Fiido D11's details on the current advertisement on ebay. Follow the link and you can see that it does not have any of the accessories you have on your bike.
I suppose Fiido may make diffrerent versions of the same bike.
Your picture from ebay is an early mock-up pre-production shot... that bike doesn't even have any wiring so it won't be going anywhere! They do only offer the one version, and do include all the items I mentioned as standard. listed on Fiido's own web-page.

Costs certainly have shot up: The D11 has risen from £715 pre-Brexit to £951.70 today. Given the amazing strength of the US$ and everything is priced in US$, I'm amazed you'll only be adding a meagre £70 to the Rambletta cost.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I use their system for more than 15 years, I am too old to change now. I have space on ionos.co.uk, AWS and azure too but they cost more if I scale up.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use their system for more than 15 years, I am too old to change now.
That's how they getchya! I used Site5 for 12 years, then they got sold to EIG who sacked all the fantastic support staff in London, centralised all support, handled by the same five or so support staff which support their many other acquired hosts. Weeks to get a reply when everything went t*tsup, totally borked. Then when I tried to migrate... they removed the backup feature in cPanel. I had to guess URLs to get backups, which they hated. There's a lot more to that story. And another unlimited host... never mind. :rolleyes:

...It was galling when THAT utterly useless "Unlimited" hots's owner sold his cr*ppy company and bought a Ferrari. But I got completely refunded for that entire hellish episode and then some. It's always worth putting poor service providers under extreme duress.

Try Guru.co.uk - excellent support and well resourced hosting. They're recently been bought, but not by EIG thank goodness. Fast, despite being slightly outside the M25, faster than many located optimally.

Take a month's whirl for £1....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
first thing I ask of any shared server is SSH access.
Another feature which was progressively removed, after takeover by EIG. Takeovers happen, we've got to make changes when services are degraded. They rely on us not wanting to migrate services, and let's face it, switching to new suppliers is not a trivial matter.

Here's a good forum for hosting related discussions and research. Oodles of shills too, but they're easy to spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I owned a Brompton manual for many many years . I sold it recently and bought a Rambletta. I have to say I am most impressed with the Rambletta. The Brompton folds much smaller and is much better to walk with but that’s about where the advantages finish. The Rambletta is far more comfortable to ride and I find it unexpectedly stable at speed. The larger fatter tyres make a difference as does the suspension seat post. I recently had the Rambletta up to 38 mph down a decent hill and it felt quite safe. I find the Rambletta is a good hill climber. I also have a mid drive ebike with a Bosch active line plus motor. The Rambletta seems to climb steep hills just as well as my mid drive. So I am very happy with my Rambletta. As it is a step through folder it isn’t going to be as tough as a traditional shape ebike. I find it great on most trails I use as they are quite smooth. I wouldn’t use it on the local canal tow paths though as they are quite rough in places (tree roots mostly) but then it clearly wasn’t designed for rough stuff. I am happy with that as the Rambletta fits into my car without dropping the rear seats and I am unexpectedly really liking the step through design. You can’t have everything.

Reactions: Nealh and Woosh