Front bike light has no power

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
My yose power kit came with a front headlight that don't work? It did work then stopped. I could not find out why but had problems with the controller setup, so I factory reset it which seemed to fix the light, however, it's not working again. I've tested and no power to the pins in connector plug.
I might factory reset controller again tomorrow in the hope that fixes it . The display lights up with headlight icon but no front light.
Guess I'll just have to use a battery light on the front unless anyone has any ideas.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I keep advisin you guys that you should never wire lights to the controller. Wire them to the battery with a switch instead. There are nearly always problems when you wire to the controller, and you can sometimes brick the controller if you do something wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Kit came with light plug, so are you saying don't use? I'm kind of thinking that now.
Guess I need to get the battery pack open and find a power source?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Kit came with light plug, so are you saying don't use? I'm kind of thinking that now.
Guess I need to get the battery pack open and find a power source?
Yes. Don't use the connector they give you. It's normally switched on by a very small transistor that blows if you fit decent lights. In order to check whether you can fit your lights, you have to open the controller, get the transistor ID and check its data sheet for its rating.

You can always connect to the main power wires that join the battery to the controller. If you're lucky enough that it has bullet connectors, you can stuff the bare wires in the barrel and force the bullet in to make a good connection if you can't be bothered to solder anything.

Reactions: Wayners

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Yes. Don't use the connector they give you. It's normally switched on by a very small transistor that blows if you fit decent lights. In order to check whether you can fit your lights, you have to open the controller, get the transistor ID and check its data sheet for its rating.

You can always connect to the main power wires that join the battery to the controller. If you're lucky enough that it has bullet connectors, you can stuff the bare wires in the barrel and force the bullet in to make a good connection if you can't be bothered to solder anything.
So I've got a new controller that doesn't have a separate lights output. Presumably I can't rig up the old light directly to the (48v nominal) battery output ? Anyone any recommendations as to a headlight (doesn't need to be a fancy one - more so people see me) that I could use, if possible without soldering ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use an in line fuse .

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
My yose power kit came with a front headlight that don't work? It did work then stopped. I could not find out why but had problems with the controller setup, so I factory reset it which seemed to fix the light, however, it's not working again. I've tested and no power to the pins in connector plug.
I might factory reset controller again tomorrow in the hope that fixes it . The display lights up with headlight icon but no front light.
Guess I'll just have to use a battery light on the front unless anyone has any ideas.

I find that the front free lights that come with kits are rubbish hope yours is better than the standard rubbish ones.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

Save faff buy decent rechargeable lights

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I find that the front free lights that come with kits are rubbish hope yours is better than the standard rubbish ones.
If you mean these, I agree with you:

I bought one for the fork, but the beam was too narrow to be useful, so I bought two more and handlebar mounts, but again I couldn't see the damn road at night.... just three small bright-ish spots! The only one I've kept on the bike, points backwards from the handlebar at my hi-visbility blouson, because hi-viz is only hi-viz when reflecting light. I must look pretty weird at night - weird is prefereable to squashed!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So I've got a new controller that doesn't have a separate lights output. Presumably I can't rig up the old light directly to the (48v nominal) battery output ? Anyone any recommendations as to a headlight (doesn't need to be a fancy one - more so people see me) that I could use, if possible without soldering ?
I use two of these "1800LM" plus a "2400LM" on my handlebar, and another 1800LM made red for the back, on flashing mode. And another big (in terms of dimension) "70LUX" light on the fork. Together, they do a great job of clearly lighting the road surface ahead of my bike at night, and just one "1800LM" light was good for being seen at night. More than one is better for being seen during the day, especially if at least one of them is flashing. As far as I can tell, it seems UK stock is depleted, they're now advertised as "3200LM", and shipped from China:

They look brighter than this in person, as you can see they're pointed down and left a bit.

Pothole! Evasive pattern Delta!

The camera exposes differently, when there are fewer lights in the photo (screengrabbed from video).

Thry get noticed by drunks at night staggering about over the pavement and road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Fwiw ive opted to add this front lamp

the key feature being the 'universal input voltage' chenglish for what i understand to be a wide range of input voltages.. tho i will be running off 12v via a dc/dc converter.

not in the same league as @guerney 's solution but not needed to perform the same pothole illuminating duty as i ride in an urban generally well lit area, its making myself visible thats my primary agenda with multiple lights..

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

I bought one for the fork, but the beam was too narrow to be useful, so I bought two more and handlebar mounts, but again I couldn't see the damn road at night.... just three small bright-ish spots! The only one I've kept on the bike, points backwards from the handlebar at my hi-visbility blouson, because hi-viz is only hi-viz when reflecting light. I must look pretty weird at night - weird is prefereable to squashed!

Then you are buying the wrong lights, simple

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Then you are buying the wrong lights, simple
Those lights were rubbish. I've got the right lights now for my uses. You can use whichever lights you prefer.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

That is the free rubbish that comes with E bikes, I just binned it, I would also never buy pre owned from ebay as you have no idea how many times they have been charged.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
HERE !

BETTER !

Cameras see brightness differently to human eyes - we have far greater dynamic range. Honest reviewers can only approximate a human's view using manual camera settings to produce photographs. Photos of bike lights on reviews cannot be relied on exclusively.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Yose light that came with kit is ok.
If I want I can switch on a USB powered one like this

For £5- £6 its a bargain. Just plug in a powerbank.
For interest.......
Most power banks have a power on/off button. Who knew? Not me until recently. One I have you have to double tap the button to power off.
Not been able to find a rear red USB light yet though. So convenient to use a power bank to run lights. I also have battery lights as a backup

Update.

Original kit front light is still working after I fiddled with plug near battery.

Related Articles

Advertisers