Front bike light has no power

kusalmed

Just Joined
Nov 4, 2023
I might factory reset controller again tomorrow in the hope that fixes it . The display lights up with headlight icon but no front light.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Fwiw ive opted to add this front lamp

the key feature being the 'universal input voltage' chenglish for what i understand to be a wide range of input voltages.. tho i will be running off 12v via a dc/dc converter.

not in the same league as @guerney 's solution but not needed to perform the same pothole illuminating duty as i ride in an urban generally well lit area, its making myself visible thats my primary agenda with multiple lights..
I thought about buying that fork light, got this instead - it does an OK job of lighting the foreground, and the headlights on my handlebar provide brighter illumination further out and at different distances, so I don't have to adjust their angles depending on my speed. A useful area of the road ahead of me is lit, without dazzling drivers.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Update.
Yose power front light
I've just took the faulty light apart but I can't see any fault. Not very good anyway so not replacing.
Question.
I measured 40v supply so must be coming from battery through circuitry in the light to LED.
Here is circuit board.

Could I buy a light kit and wire in the original feed? I've seen light kits.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Which light kits have you found? Are you intending to connect the light kit directly to the battery, or the output for lights from the controller?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Hi @guerney

I was thinking of using the cable coming from the controller as showing 40v. I was expecting 5v.

Just thinking about it for interest. I'm happy with my current setup and many seem to mention don't bother using light cables. Either battery lights or wire direct to battery

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think you should avoid connecting lights to the light output of the controller, connect lights to the battery instead. Here's @saneagle's post about that from earlier on in the thread:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/front-bike-light-has-no-power.46247/post-694822

Saying that, I've still got one of those useless Bafang headlights connected to my controller, it the one which points backwards from the handlebar illuminating my hi-viz jacket or blouson... but not for much longer. I've just got to get around to cutting and soldering in a new switch and connecting that light to the bike battery, it's on my ever growing and very long to-do list. The same switch will turn on both front and rear lights at the same time, in case of the unlikely scenario of my wanting to attempt getting my bike MVSA approved.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers