Garmin Edge 305

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I have a Garmin Edge 305 cycle computer and am looking at buying an e.bike with a front hub motor.

I have read that a front hub motor can effect cycle computers.

Will I still be able to use my Garmin Edge. It is one of the best pieces of kit I have ever bought for a bike.

Steve

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
It is only a guess, but I think the basic GPS reception from the satellite should work as normal. So route/speed etc should work absolutely as normal.

So though only questions would be about the cadence pick up and the wireless links from that pickup and also the heart monitor. It might be necessary to find a position for the magnetic cadence pickup away from any stray fields from the front hub motor. You could always attach it to the rear wheel. I think you will be unlucky to have problems with the wireless links from motor interfernce - at least if you get a bike that passes EU EMC regulations.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
The cadence and heart monitor is of no importance to me on an ebike, although I do use them on my road bike. It is the basic navigation and tracking I am more interested in.

We use the PC to plot rides before arriving at our holiday destinations and then download them to the Garmin. I would like to be able to do that with an e-bike as well.

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Severe interference for cycle computers when front hub motors are fitted is very common, certainly the popular Suzhou Bafang motors are regularly implicated. The general recommendation in this forum is to used wired types, but mounting the magnetic pickup on the rear wheel does usually solve any problem.