Getting on and off a bike

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'm not sure if it's age and I don't bend so well, or the rear rack with bags I've fitted catching my leg, but I'm struggling a bit to get on and off my mountain bike. I don't think it's helps I have a horizontal crossbar though.
Next bike I buy could do with being a step through as that looks bliss. Anyone else think they are an accident waiting to happen? Ha... If you are, your not alone.
Was worse today with my wets on. The plastic trousers add difficulty hoping on and off.
Got some ideas I've found online ,so I'll give those a try.
Also I starting to think the gravel drive we have is not a good solid place to start off or stop.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Indeed thats why i went for a step thru when i bought my last bike. 4yrs on with it and i still have fuzzy moments when i approach the bike and my body wants to throw a leg up and over but my mind is set on being sensible and i pause for what seems to me to be way too long..

What finally cured me of trying to throw a leg over was the fitting of a rear box ive kicked that thing so many times now i have finally trained myself not to through shin pain..

Worst times have been exiting the supermarket back box pilled high and abscent minded me starts to throw a leg back as i hop on the pedal only to crush half my carefully selected and gingerly handled baked goods and sarnie tomatoes.

You may change your bike but its harder to change muscle memory built up over decades..

Reactions: Wayners

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
I fitted a dropper seat post on my Hard seven. Put it in the low position for getting on and off works a treat.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Certainly if I lost my current standard crossbar electric bike, I would replace it with a step through design.

My other bikes are Bromptons and the low crossbar and low rear rack makes it easy to get on off with reduced chance of falling in the road.

Reactions: Woosh

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
My non electric road bike is a high cross bar type, that I lean over significantly to make throwing my right leg over the saddle way easier; into my eighties I still manage.
Our electric bike I inherited when my wife finally lost the nerve to cycle is a step through, even on that I find most times the old established technique is what I use, I do it naturally without thinking most times. Only if its panniers are well packed out do I twig. or realise, there is an easier way.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We've got a step-through solo bike. The only time I miss the crossbar is when I want to stand over the bike and keep it upright; eg if I stop to talk to someone for a minute or two.

Having just done my knee in (detached tendon) I won't be back on the the solo or our tandem for a bit. The tandem does have a crossbar and I was already creaking to get over it; I'm not sure I'll be up to it again when the time comes. I'm keeping my eyes open for a low step tandem; trouble is when I my eyes see the price they start watering.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Well I've been trying some different methods. Placing my left foot out wide and leaning bike over, then lifting right leg over to get on or off, while holding rear brake on seems to work well for me...

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Brakes on and lean the bike works for me too, also on inclines.

I thought 'step-through' was a visual term like 'kissing gate', meaning with lower stand-over height. My balance on one leg isn't great and if I aimed my size 12 through the gap I can see it slamming the frame to the ground with me following on. So what's the technique for actually stepping through a step-through?

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Brakes on and lean the bike works for me too, also on inclines.

So what's the technique for actually stepping through a step-through?
This is my method:
Stand on LH side of bike facing towards the crankset.
Apply brake with left hand and place right hand on saddle.
Lean bike slightly towards you (optional).
Raise right leg over frame while balancing with hands that are on saddle and brake.
Pivot standing foot as you bring the other one down on the ground or pedal on the far side to face forwards on the bike.
Dismount is the reverse of the above. Not quite so easy but better with practice.

Reactions: Wayners and AntonyC

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Lean the bike is more or less my method for my two crossbar e-bikes. Just a word of warning if wearing a cycling top which is long over the back on a continental style (ie 'upright') bike and if you have the saddle height which encourages you to dismount from the saddle on stopping. During the early days of my Decathlon 500E I more than once caught the back of the cycling top on the saddle so that on stopping I slowly and unceremoniously tipped sideways onto the road - luckily without injury or accident.:oops:

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
Ah, the Dutch "umpire's seat" manoeuvre, still getting the hang of that :)

A benefit of the sideways lean is that when you haven't noticed the ground falls away the lean keeps going until contact is made, doing the splits but still upright. I copy my cat's 'of course I meant to do that' face.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
This thread plus what I've been watching on YouTube has got me sorted. Things are alot better riding and getting on and off.. :D
I've been getting off the saddle when I stop during rides. Raise the peddle ready to start off to thrust forward, then sit back on saddle to ride.
Leaning bike to the side on firm ground to get on and off. Applying brakes to hold bike still. Just thinking about it and taking my time. Simple things that make a big difference

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'm not sure if it's age and I don't bend so well, or the rear rack with bags I've fitted catching my leg, but I'm struggling a bit to get on and off my mountain bike. I don't think it's helps I have a horizontal crossbar though.
Next bike I buy could do with being a step through as that looks bliss. Anyone else think they are an accident waiting to happen? Ha... If you are, your not alone.
Was worse today with my wets on. The plastic trousers add difficulty hoping on and off.
Got some ideas I've found online ,so I'll give those a try.
Also I starting to think the gravel drive we have is not a good solid place to start off or stop.
Dropper seatpost. Absolute godsend.
Push it down, swing leg over, hit the lever and it pops back up behind you. My bike has a rack and rack pack+panniers on it and i can about clear that, so also having the post dropped right down makes it super easy to get on or off.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All that karate during my teens continues to pay dividends - I can still execute a roundhouse kick at head level. There's much to be said for maintaining strength and flexibility, they don't have to decline as we age. Use what you want to keep and improve.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I put back my suspension post back on bike which I was originally struggling with, plus my crossbar is about 75mm below seat height so drop post would not work for me. Great bit of kit though.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
All that karate during my teens continues to pay dividends - I can still execute a roundhouse kick at head level. There's much to be said for maintaining strength and flexibility, they don't have to decline as we age. Use what you want to keep and improve.
So you dont just look like a mad max-esq ebike road warrior, you have the moves too .. forewarned n all that ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So you dont just look like a mad max-esq ebike road warrior, you have the moves too .. forewarned n all that ;)
It's why I try so hard avoiding getting into fights - there's no telling what my body might end up doing! I've never killed anyone with my bare hands, but I've come close and it's a worry. People are fragile. As a young man attending Shotokan Karate and Japanese Jujitu classes, I was amazed at how our instructors in their 70s were a race apart compared with others of their age, in terms of strength, aerobic fitness, speed and flexibility. I saw elderly students join and benefit. Sure, their progress was slower but they were much more committed than the young ones. Point is, we don't have to keep buying adapters to make things easier - it's a downward spiral. Stretching and strengthening is better for the long term.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers