Giant E Bike sizes beware

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
I purchased a Giant Full E + 1 small size this bike is according to Giants geometry chart is suitable for a person 5ft 3 to 5ft 7 I have 3 other Giant bikes all small and all a perfect fit so naturally I stupidly was under the impression that this bike would also suit me I received the bike and tried it for size standing over the top tube in my cycling shoes my feet standing on tip toes over the top tube would barely touch the ground I am 5ft 5.
I have had to return the bike at my own expense and am very disappointed
I have since studied Giants geometry chart and have found that apart from a longer top tube the Medium and Small sizes of this model are identical.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Is this a full sus bike?
I bought a Large Scott full sus the same size as my Large Scott HT and it is considerably taller.. Probably due to the need of the suspension to compress in use..
I was ably to try one in the shop before purchasing and as size below was too small I bought it. Soon got used to it tho..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In recent years within Europe, Giant have increasingly concentrated on the huge bicycle and pedelec market in The Netherlands where they have their service centre, and the Dutch are a famously tall race. I've also noticed the effect that's had on their bike design heights.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
If this is the 2017 model, it also now has the "integrated" battery pack, which probably also limits their options with geometry compared to the 2016 model. I assume this is the 2017 model we are talking about? (although the 2016 geometry charts are also lacking in information so that may be similarly afflicted).

Disappointing for you though.

Geome

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
UK
If this is the 2017 model, it also now has the "integrated" battery pack, which probably also limits their options with geometry compared to the 2016 model. I assume this is the 2017 model we are talking about? (although the 2016 geometry charts are also lacking in information so that may be similarly afflicted).

Disappointing for you though.
Yes this is the latest full sus bike 2017 if they can't make a true small size why not be honest and say so. I am disappointed and will have to look at another make which is also disappointing as I have had Giants for over 20 years.

• Agree
Reactions: redcup1999

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes this is the latest full sus bike 2017 if they can't make a true small size why not be honest and say so. I am disappointed and will have to look at another make which is also disappointing as I have had Giants for over 20 years.
It is a pity since Giant bikes are generally good quality and have alwsy been a reliable brand to buy, but I suppose they are just following trends and their largest market.

It's not just bikes suffering this, western people have been growing much larger over the years and products have been growing with them. Today's western people struggle to get into the cars from years ago, and clothing sizes have changed too. My shoe and trouser sizes were in the middle of the range when I was young and I was average height, but now those clothes sizes are at the lower fringe and I feel very short among those much younger.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It is a pity since Giant bikes are generally good quality and have alwsy been a reliable brand to buy, but I suppose they are just following trends and their largest market.

It's not just bikes suffering this, western people have been growing much larger over the years and products have been growing with them. Today's western people struggle to get into the cars from years ago, and clothing sizes have changed too. My shoe and trouser sizes were in the middle of the range when I was young and I was average height, but now those clothes sizes are at the lower fringe and I feel very short among those much younger.
Whist on holiday I bought a cycling jersey which was xl which would normally be too big but is in fact a bit small. Made in Italy.. does that mean Italians are a bit on rhe small side?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whist on holiday I bought a cycling jersey which was xl which would normally be too big but is in fact a bit small. Made in Italy.. does that mean Italians are a bit on rhe small side?
Southern Italians are, there's even a cruel Northern Italian joke about it:

"Why are Southern Italians so small?"

"It's because their mothers told them that when they grow up they'll have to go out to work".

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm guessing southern Italians don't buy Giant e-MTBs then? :rolleyes:

Related Articles

Advertisers