giant new twist

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of course I agree that a small company can adapt much more quickly than a large one, and it's self evident that eZee do just that.

Regarding drag, like all orbital gear hubs the gears are being continuously rotated as the bike rolls, and it's impossible for gears to have no drag, particularly greased gears. The freewheel in the hub disconnects the motor from the gears, the gears are always engaged with the wheel. Of course this drag is present in all orbital gear hubs, it's not unique to your bikes, but as I've said, it increases with speed. Pedalling a hub gear bike without power is not a pleasant cycling experience compared with the twist where everything but the sprocket rolling on the chain and it's bearing is disconnected. Hence the speed difference for a given input.

There's no difference of opinion on the electrical efficiency of the eZee motors, they are possibly the best there is in that respect, as I've been making clear with the Quando that I have.

Last edited:

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Much is agreed, but your comments on the Quando and Twist are very unfair and don't acknowledge what I've posted.
The last thing I want to be is unfair. OK I was tongue in cheek with my comment about the skateboard but you acknowledge it's not a like for like comparison earlier (Modeo vs Ferrrari - although I dont think the Quando has the better styling when compared to a Twist).

The Quando is a lot heavier than the Twist Lite, in part because it's a folder. Exactly the same motor/battery/elctronics combination in the Torq weigh less at 24 kilos, but are compromised there by being geared up 40% for all out speed.
The Twist Lite is about 21 kg, the Comfort 23 kg. I got my weight for the Quando from the UK retailers webpage which listed it as just over 20 kg from memory - similar to the Twist lite. I can only go by what I read as I don't own a Quando.
Edit: Reviewing that retailers website today I see I accidentally misread the details and its actually only the bike without the battery which is just over 20 kg, the whole thing is actually as you write in your other post flecc. Sorry for the mistake flecc, I assumed reading the first line that bicycle meant just that, given that the bike normally has a battery as part of it and it wasn't listed as bike minus battery. It's only after reading further down in the next columb that its apparent the battery weight is additional to this.

That same retailer lists the range as 15 - 20 miles which I assume is on moderately undulating, normal terrain. If they performed a range comparison on steep hills, the relative inefficiency would show for sure. Also bear in mind that (from what I've read) the Quando has a 10 Ah 37 V battery or 370 Wh capacity as AtoB like to call them, the original Twist by comparison is only 156 Wh at under half the capacity (the voltage is actually pretty immaterial as it's these Watt Hours that are a true indication of the battery storage capacity). A 36 Volt battery doesn't make a bike go any faster just as a larger fuel tank wont make a car go faster. That extra electricity used by hub motor bikes has to be paid for by the user and goes to prove my point about which is more efficient. You may claim that the Quando design offers superior motor efficiency in your reply to 50cycles but all I'm convinced of is that its more powerful and consequently uses far more battery power. In this day and age with environmental concerns, every little step that can reasonably be taken to reduce energy consumption and improve efficiency should be taken.

In some respects I think you are in denial and refusing to acknowledge what I've posted because it doesn't fit what you want to be true. If I ride the Twist with the trailer and load to the tip, I have to pedal all the time and make a fair input of work on the hills. On the Quando I don't need to do anything if I don't want to until the final 12% hill to home when I do a bit of work.
How do I deny being in denial without looking like I'm confirming your claim :confused: The 'want' I have in this whole situation is for people to be fully aware of the comparitive disadvantages of hub motors over drive through the gears motors. It annoys me when I see companies boasting in advertising about a bikes hill climbing ability when I know that if they really want to do it properly, they'd adopt a revised design without a hub motor - sort of like the Boron petrol marketing point I made earlier 'spinning' a weakness. I hate to see spin triumph over design.

Having written that, I haven't done any speed uphill testing with my Twist and have no reason to doubt what you've written about it's performance, especially considering the power the Quando would use under hill climbing situations is far more than 250 Watts or even what the Twist would use from the battery under the same circumstances. Clearly this area of the 250 Watts power limit is the area open to 'interpretation' and in my eyes bikes with significantly higher peak power outputs over twice this are getting around their inefficiency with brute power and this isn't something to be encouraged or even supported. You're right in that in some regards I'm an engineering purist (I guess maintaining aircraft for 11.5 years tends to foster that in a person) but we differ in opinion over whether it is possible that power through the gears drives will become mainstream and leave hub motors behind in all but the cheapest and nastiest bikes.

I've always made it clear that I agree that a drive through chain system is superior overall, and one with the Quando's power would be very much better than that bike. But I'm a realist, it isn't going to happen anytime within a reasonable future.
As long as customers choose to accept or have apathy towards hub motor designs it wont. I just wish some of that marketing and promotional spending actually went on improving bikes with a better drive system through the gears. I believe it will and can happen in a very short time. Now I see that the Gazelle Easy Glide has been developed (also by a small and adaptable company), I'm hoping that will get the snowball rolling. That looks to be a truely high quality bike and it's not that much dearer than the old Twist Comfort.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi
50 cycles no slight was intended against your products The hub verses drive through system always seems to cause healthy debate flecc was just helping with imformation:) nigel southampton.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The actual weight of the Quando is 25.7 kg, substantially more than my Twist lite, so that site clearly misled you.

Obviously I wasn't concerned with efficiency with regard to the Quando performance vis-a-vis the Twist, I was only concerned with the fact that it could do the same job in all but the unpowered cycling aspect, and with a substantial gain in performance.

The motor used in the Quando and Torq is extraordinarily efficient though. At full bike speed (15/16 mph Quando) just above it's point of peak efficiency it sips a tiny 120 watts of power from the battery. At the other end of the scale at around 5 mph (Quando) where it's far below the point of maximum torque, the power wastage is only about 18%, an amazingly low figure compared with many electric bikes. It's this sort of thing that 50cycles refer to above of course, and it's clear that it has no difficulty in meeting the 250 watt average legal requirement.

I can see two reasons in particular for this motor's ability to put down so much of it's power effectively into the hub, but I don't want to bore the readership with technical minutiae. Also I seem to be under attack from both the pro and anti hub factions so I won't waste time swimming against the tide in a battle where I'm opposed both ways. :(

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
50cycles

Yes. it is low drag and better than quite a few, and of course what goes for the Torq motor is also true for the Quando.

However, I think there's a lack of appreciation of what is involved here technically in all these hub motor bikes when cycling without power. The most important thing in a hub motor electric bike where drag is concerned is that the motor suffers the least gear drag when power is applied, when the orbital gears are driving the orbital toothed gear ring in the hub shell. In that respect the Torq/Quando are exceptionally good since the designers have their priorities exactly right, getting the most power into the wheel. The particular execution in their hubs has some specific advantages over other bikes as well.

When the position is reversed and a hub motor bike is pedalled without power, the reverse situation exists, the wheel's orbital gear ring is powering the orbital and central gears instead. That doesn't have the same mechanical advantage, quite the opposite, it's a large gear driving a small gear which is very much more difficult, hence the existence of drag which slows progress compared with the same bike with those orbital gears removed for trial purposes. True of all hub motors of course, regardless of make.

You'll appreciate this isn't a matter for dispute since it's a simple matter of physics, in it's simplest expression a comparison of the advantage of a long lever over a short lever.

Last edited:

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
I would say the Torq does have minimal drag compared to most other Electric bikes.
Does it not have the ability to freewheel (where the wheel rotation doesn't have to spin the motor when its not powered)? Even the latest much cheaper Suede has that feature (although I don't know how the drag compares). It's certainly extremely common with drive through the geartrain systems. Why not stock some bikes with the drive through gear train systems so customers have a choice?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flying Kiwi

You'll see that my posting made while you typed the above confirms the freewheels existence. The freewheel is between motor and centre gear of the orbital drive, so the gears are always engaged with the wheel.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
low freewheel drag hub motor

I read with interest the mention here of hub motor freewheel drag as I was unaware of this issue. Having made enquiries I am reliably informed ;) (and I have no basis to compare in any respect with e.g. the ezee bikes) that the hub motor I have my eye on - an ego nano hub - has very low freewheel drag: as a measure of this the wheel with motor will spin (I'm told) for a full minute after motor power is cut :) . If I've understood properly, the freewheel on this particular motor does not operate with the gears engaged (don't ask me how, I'm no engineer! Though I'd like to know how this may be possible!). So if true, this would make cycling under leg-power only easier & more enjoyable, especially given that the motor weighs only 2.3kg(?) quite light compared to some I think?;)

I've added to this thread http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/144-e-go.html#post2622 to discuss other aspects of this motor, like its power output curve compared to e.g. crystalyte motors, and I'm interested to hear what people think about this hub motor as a simple but useful/economical option to fit to an existing bike.:)

Stuart.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

BY coops
So if true, this would make cycling under leg-power only easier & more enjoyable, especially given that the motor weighs only 2.3kg(?) quite light compared to some I think?

HI coops
if what you say is correct then why dont other companys use this method i am not sure but would like to know hopefully flecc will have the answer nigel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If I've understood properly, the freewheel on this particular motor does not operate with the gears engaged (don't ask me how, I'm no engineer! Though I'd like to know how this may be possible!). So if true, this would make cycling under leg-power only easier & more enjoyable, especially given that the motor weighs only 2.3kg(?) quite light compared to some I think?
Stuart.
One way is to have what would effectively be two freewheels. First an electrically engaged drive that allowed the geartrain to overrun the motor when the motor was unpowered, leaving the motor stationary when the wheel is revolved. Then the cage that holds the 3 or 4 orbital gearwheels having it's own freewheel centre in relation to the spindle so that the complete cage revolves with the hub and it's orbital ring. Then the orbital and centre gearwheels would not be rotating at all as the whole assembly rotated with the hub.

The electrical engagement could be some form of solenoid actuated dog clutch, or more sensibly a band brake as in automatic gearboxes, or possibly as a magnetic clutch, though that would consume some more power.

These would potentially leave the hub with only the same bearing friction as a normal bike wheel. I don't think such measures worth the trouble though.

Given that the Heinzmann motor has peripheral needle rollers with consequentially high rotational speeds, another way would be to have the orbital gear ring roller isolated from the hub but with freewheel pawl engagement. This motor under discussion is probably too small diameter to use such an arrangement, and I think the losses of this latter system would be greater than any orbital gear rotational drag.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi nigel

yes, good question! I'd like to know too as I said!

Firstly though, on re-reading my own words, that quote looks ambiguous: I meant that pedalling a nano-hub motor bike, while the motor is off, would seem to be little different in terms of freewheel spin than a normal bike (apart from the weight of the hub motor (2.3kg), batteries etc.) i.e. no significant resistance to wheelspin in the wheel containing the hub motor while the motor is off.

I added some links & info to the http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/144-e-go.html thread, one of which is apparently the motor maker's site which says their "motor design incorporates numerous new patents". I've also heard that the motor was designed in a university research project, so it seems plausible it could be somewhat innovative in some respects...

I have no more info than this, but I know that these motors are being sold in the uk so anyone who has tried one, I'd like to hear your impressions.

Failing that, I'll probably try one myself and if it works, great!:D

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like we posted together Stuart, there's a two part answer above your entry.

Yet another way is the bendix method as used on starter motors to provide the motor engagement. In this, the rotor could be held out of the potential magnetic alignment by spring pressure. With power applied and the rotor laterally shifting into alignment due to the magnetic fields being completed, a dog clutch could engage to give the drive.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes, I didn't see your replies till now - thanks for such a thorough answer flecc, though as I said I'm no engineer and I'll have to re-read your reply tomorrow when I'm awake ;)

It seems though (if I got it right?) that there are several possible ways to achieve this low freewheel drag.

I dug the following out from a post seemingly related to the motor in question, and I wonder if it helps narrow down the method used?:

"We produce the motor with free wheele and also produce the motor without free wheele.Some customers don't like the resistance as they push the ebike backward when it is with power on.And surely there will be less faults for without the free wheele.Reducing free wheele seems make motor's life longer.If you usually ride on the flat road,you can choose this type and the rear one.

But the free wheele can keep it safer when you ride on the downhill path,especially using the front motor. The progressive free wheele is OK at all.And tongxin front motor is fit for common folks.You can design to use front motor and 7 or 8 speed gears in the back.And of course we have experiences with longer axis of the rear motor to fit for gears."

Sorry if the context of the quote is unclear - it was part of an incomplete recovered thread from visforvoltage forum and the preceding post was missing.

Do you think there is potentially any downside to whatever mechanism allows the low drag freewheel?

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, there is a downside Stuart, and this garbled extract from the above is about that:

"And surely there will be less faults for without the free wheele.Reducing free wheele seems make motor's life longer.If you usually ride on the flat road,you can choose this type"

This freely translates as:

"Without the freewheel the motor will be more reliable (Less to go wrong and less snatch transmission to the motor). As the main advantage of a freewheel is when you are speeding downhill on overrun, i.e. by disengaging the motor to allow speed to increase, you can do without the freewheel option if you always cycle on the flat in order to gain the extra reliability, since there probably won't be any occasions when you run faster than when the motor drives the wheel".

My first experience of free translation of an oriental attempt at English was back in 1960 when the first Japanese cameras were arriving here and I was in optical engineering at the time. One of the first we looked at was from a maker called Waltz and it was a 35 mm that came with the usual neckstrap.

The very first line of the instruction manual was, "The camera is used whilst hanging by the neck". :D Gallows humour?

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hahaha! that's priceless! Did the second line advise that taking long exposure shots were at owner's own risk, by any chance?! :eek: :rolleyes:

Hmmm, so reliability vs usability it seems..? sounds like the common more features, more to go wrong issue. It would depend on the level of risk of failure/problem occurring, but as I intend to use the motor intermittently as a boost to my own pedal-power and still have the ebike feel like a normal bike the rest of the time (except for the extra weight of motor & batteries, clearly), good freewheel ability would I think be sufficiently useful to freedom of motion and satisfaction/enjoyment of the cycling experience for me to take the chance - I guess I'd just like if possible for the motor to be a boost to cycling when in use, while changing the bike's performance as little as possible when not in use... maybe I'm still an idealist after all:rolleyes:

Thanks again, Flecc, for clearing that one up :)

Stuart.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Waltz camera advertising slogans

"See your life flash before your eyes with every snap"

"Every picture the shot of a lifetime..."

:D :rolleyes: Sorry, I couldn't resist posting those, gallows humour indeed...;)

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice ones Stuart, I miss those early Japlish manuals now they've become so fluent in English. Somehow they were full of an inadvertent humour in a way the Chinese don't seem to manage.

On freewheels, I'd go for a freewheel every time unless maybe on a shopper used on the flat. There's little more miserable and frustrating than having the chance to fly down a long hill and finding the motor is acting as an unwanted brake all the time.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
A case of something "gained in translation" then? Who says you get nothing for free in life ;)

Thanks for the tip on freewheels: I'd settle for being free to roll down a gentle slope under no power, with no resistance - freedom!!:)

I suppose there is a safety issue here, in that, would bikes with either no freewheel, some freewheel drag or full-on regenerative braking option (bionx) effectively/safely assist in slowing a fast downhill descent, or is it better to just ensure you have good, fully-working brakes?...

I'm very conscious, having focused on how to power my bike to go faster, fun though that would be, how easy it is to overlook the "dull" but vital issue of brakes/slowing!! Luckily I do have V-brakes already, and don't intend (excepting the odd downhill maybe...) to exceed say 16-17mph motor assisted on the flat, so I hope that will be enough:rolleyes: the aluminium rims I have do seem to help greatly the stopping power of my brakes, but such rims are fairly standard nowadays on quality bikes, aren't they?

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, steel rims were far too dangerous in the wet to survive, terrific braking in the dry, but nothing in the wet. I found this out the hard way as a kid of eleven with a big paper round done on a trade bike with a huge papers load on the front carrier. Turned into a steep downhill on a wet early morning and - no brakes! Flew downhill, straight across the main road in the valley at the foot and up the hill the other side which stopped it, phew! Luckily cars were very rare in 1947, especially at 6.30 am.

Despite that, I still like using downhills at speed to cut journey times and rely on my brakes. When it's hub motor bike I bias usage to the wheel without the motor, since it's much easier to rebuild the normal wheel if a rim needs renewing. Just over 40 mph is my best downhill speed on the Torq (past a speed camera!), but I've not really been trying, so I'm sure I'll beat that one day on a suitable hill.

Re: overlooking braking needs, you may know Enzo Bugatti's famous comment in the early days of motor racing when one of his drivers complained about the brakes on his cars. Looking shocked he replied, "My cars are designed to go, not to stop!"

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hehehe! yes, your experience with steel rims in the wet reminds me of many a hairy moment from my childhood on bikes - they don't make them like they used to, eh?;)

I think I've had enough near misses and minor accidents (no injuries luckily) - most due to inattention of youth or inexperience rather than speed - to be very careful now when I cycle - but I think I'll err on the side of caution too when it comes to speed: like they say, you're in control of how you drive, but not how others drive...

If only cars were still as rare today, at ANY time :rolleyes: having said that, I've found that night time here can be, as you'd expect, a good time to get some relatively fresh air: its only sunk in for me recently just how much of urban pollution is caused by vehicle exhaust fumes :eek: :mad: - yet another major issue for cyclists, and another plus for electric bikes I guess - faster speed & less exertion = less time exposure to and absorption of pollutants from exhausts.

I'd heard the argument of lower speed differential relative to cars etc. = safer travel, but I'd not considered that it may be healthier re less pollutants breathed before.

Stuart.