Giant Roam XRE or Giant Prime E + 2?

Kimster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
I need advice please! I'm a fairly experienced female cyclist about to buy my first ebike... my local(ish) (and very trusted bike shop, who I have bought all my bikes from with excellent customer service) has 2015 models of the above bikes discounted to £1499 and £1699 respectively, with extras thrown in. The bike will mainly be used for a 15 mile round trip commute along cycle tracks, plus weekend jaunts around very hilly local countryside, of around 25 - 50 miles (max).I realise I couldn't use the battery for 100% of the weekend rides. I'm a 5'6 female, around 11 stone (too much information!!) The Prime model is the women's step through model, which I initially discounted due to the very upright riding position, but was super comfortable on a short test ride.
Or would neither of these be suitable? Would welcome some views on this..thanks all.

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The advantage of the prime is the Yamaha motor in the hilly area. And the comfortable riding position, you aren't doing the Tour de France :D I think it will be very suitable. You will be keeping an un-powered bike I presume?

The battery is a bit small but if you are a cyclist and pedaling you will get reasonable range - about 25 miles.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
If you're riding a lot of hills, i'd stick with the mid drive of the Prime.
Just for info...... the Giant Roam XRE can be had for £1,353 from Rutland Cycles. Only in medium size tho.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Prime is the nicer bike, decent crank drive rather than the direct drive pancake motor on the Roam.

Direct drives are quiet, but they don't climb well, so not the best bike for Cornwall.

The Prime has a 400wh battery which you might be able to eke out to 40 or so miles if you use low assist setting and put in a fair bit of effort.

Bear in mind the motor needs to be switched on all the time, pedalling a 20kg+ ebike unpowered is really only practical as a limp home measure.

If you want to do 50 miles confidently, you will need to carry a second battery.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Kimster, the feedback above is spot on. Direct drives aren't very good on hills but the Yamaha system is great. I'd stick with your local bike shop if you can. Although even with a good discount they may be a little more expensive than buying online part of what you're paying for is the service. Electric bikes are much more complicated than standard bikes if things do go wrong. If they do you'll want a friendly person at your local to take care of it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The Prime has a 400wh battery which you might be able to eke out to 40 or so miles if you use low assist setting and put in a fair bit of effort.
The first site I saw was saying only 300 Ah so I correct the estimate I made earlier to 36 miles.

Kimster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Thanks for all the feedback..the Prime it will be then. One more question! I much prefer the look of the men's crossbar version, and on the little promo video it does seem to suggest a less upright riding position. Is there any way I can find out id there's one for sale ANYWHERE in the country? I'm the saddo looking for the colour I prefer (anthracite rather than aluminium of the 2016 model)...