GIN X

tindog

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Hello, has anyone bought the Gin x ? Hybrid ?
Specs look good. Shame I can't get a test ride in Derbyshire.

tindog

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2018
They do a 28 day money back guarantee, so try it, tell us what it's like, and if you don't like it, send it back. They say that they have confidence that you'll want to keep it.
28 day money back only if you don't open the box!! Yeah I read the terms, their warranty is also limited interested to hear real customers opinions.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
There was a discussion on these bikes a while back, the co founder was responding to questions, but not offering much detail on the specs, battery cells, motor type etc
Most pointed out the positioning of the on/off battery switch and charging cover, right at the bottom near the bottom bracket, the most cruddy muddy area a bike gets coated with...all went a bit quiet after that

edit: just found it, all a bit crowdfunder, startup, no bikes in stock, wait for 6 months, and not street legal

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There was a discussion on these bikes a while back, the co founder was responding to questions, but not offering much detail on the specs, battery cells, motor type etc
Most pointed out the positioning of the on/off battery switch and charging cover, right at the bottom near the bottom bracket, the most cruddy muddy area a bike gets coated with...all went a bit quiet after that

edit: just found it, all a bit crowdfunder, startup, no bikes in stock, wait for 6 months, and not street legal

It looks legal to me. You can set the speed limit and throttle mode in the settings, like most similar type bikes. the only thing I don't like is the charge socket and battery lock down at the bottom bracket. Any ownere needs to do a small amount of DIY down there to protect them, but it's not a big seal. 48v should give plenty of torque for those that need it. The only questions I have is are they in stock now and is OP a fake advertiser?

tindog

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2018
It looks legal to me. You can set the speed limit and throttle mode in the settings, like most similar type bikes. the only thing I don't like is the charge socket and battery lock down at the bottom bracket. Any ownere needs to do a small amount of DIY down there to protect them, but it's not a big seal. 48v should give plenty of torque for those that need it. The only questions I have is are they in stock now and is OP a fake advertiser?
Fake advertiser yeah **** all better to do..

tindog

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Fake advertiser yeah **** all better to do..
Shame I was censored you get the drift..

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Apparently 'Altus' is classed as premium now, along with no name brakes,fork and wheels.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
28 day money back only if you don't open the box!! Yeah I read the terms, their warranty is also limited interested to hear real customers opinions.
That is a nasty trick. At that point I would start looking elsewhere if I were you.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They are on trustpilot and a UK company so you can lookup if you like.
Their bike is good value for money.
You should very much pay attention to support arrangements when buying a factory built bike. Unlike adding a kit to your own bike, like Andybike said, the mechanical bike can be built with low quality fork, transmission, wheels etc, and the electronics can be without documentation and a complete mystery to you, so you can be stuck for support.
Personally, I wouldn't want the mechanical part of my e-bike to be less good than my push bikes. That's why I tend to post about kits rather than factory built bikes.
Trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ginebikes.com
Company: 13472399

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Apparently 'Altus' is classed as premium now, along with no name brakes,fork and wheels.
Altus is a step-up for a sub-£1000 e-bike, where Tourney would be the norm (although IIRC this bike was £999 yesterday and it's £1090 today. The brakes are Zoom branded if you look closely.

IMHO it's very hard to see how that price would be sustainable: So many low-cost "brands" have come and gone, but hats off to them for their entrepreneurial spirit.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
IMHO it's very hard to see how that price would be sustainable:
I reckon it is sustenable but you would be limited to basic models. Lots of them operate on those lines. Chinese factories start with very good value basic models for around $500-$600 and offer to upgrade components, batteries, motors, forks, brakes, rack, propstands, lights, bells etc. The price will quickly add $50 for better battery, $50 for better fork, $50 for better brakes, $50 for propstand, rack, mudguards, full chainguard, lights and bell. They add easily $200 to the base price. Importers can see that it is easier to go for basic models and offer 'coupons' to attract bargain hunters than pay for the upgraded components to attract the more savvy buyers.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Another thing that puts me off is the horizontal drop-outs. There's no reason to have them on a bike like that, and they make it extremely difficult to remove and put back a motor wheel, especially with the brake in that position, which would need to be removed first, and whatever you do, don't fit mudguards. Whoever came up with the idea of horizontal drop-outs on that bike should be fired.

That brings me to the next point, and is what made me look a bit closer at the drop-outs is that the motor cable exits directly forward because of the drop-outs. It should exit backwards. Anybody that buys that bike needs to take the wheel out and fix that. Hopefully, the cable will be long enough, otherwise you'll have to find another way to stop the water going in.