Glasses wearers please read.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
As you get to my age you inevitably need glasses… problem. How do you wear your glasses and still use some sort of sunglasses.

I need my glasses to see my GPS on the handle bars as I prepare my routes beforehand and download them to the GPS… follow the line and I’m back at the car.

This means I need my glasses on whilst cycling.

I have tried different options and come up with this as the best so far.

It allows me to wear my glasses and still have some sort of wind shield and sun visor for cycling.

The problem is, it’s not the best of helmets, safety wise. I don’t want to get prescription sunglasses, as they are very expensive and change every time you need new glasses.

I am looking for a better helmet with more protection AND the clip on visor option… any ideas.

helmet.jpg

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Casco_Roadster-TC_White_Silver_Visier_3607.jpg
Comes with several visor options including an auto tinting version which costs more than the helmet :eek:

That is the "clear" visor and it is still a bit too tinted at night - the night before last I lifted the visor and within the first few metres got a moth in the eye... :oops: If you are wearing glasses that won't be much of a problem, my eyesight has improved with age so I don't wear glasses very often at night. Large sunglasses fit very comfortably under the visor.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had the reactolight option added to my prescription which helps, but I recently bought a helmet with the visor. Mine is adjustable at the back so can be set so I can look down and see under the visor and this visor stops my glasses going dark so I can glance down and see my map clearly.
Bought this from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01IF0YOTO/

Reactions: Ballynoes

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
contact lenses, then wear what you want.
I switch from glasses to goggles as I need.
Plus goggles can be changed from clear to iridium easily.
I have an astigmatism so have a multi focal prescription and single vision for DH days.
The girlfriend uses varifocal contacts as she isn't Astigmatic

• :D
Reactions: oldtom

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
As you get to my age you inevitably need glasses… problem. How do you wear your glasses and still use some sort of sunglasses.
Depends on what your glasses do, but if its simply aging eyes needing reading glasses, you can get smoked safety glasses with a bifocal lens that work fine for cycling use
e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/voltX-CONSTRUCTOR-BIFOCAL-Reading-certified/dp/B004GUPOZ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1524685844&sr=1-1&keywords=voltX+'CONSTRUCTOR'+BIFOCAL+Reading+Safety+Glasses+CE+EN166F+certified/Cycling+Sports+Glasses+(SMOKE/GRAY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I decided to try some over glasses. Had bought some similar but yellow ones for my mother who had macular degeneration. So recently got some polarised ones like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ABGN40G

Haven't had much sun since I got them - at least not in my eyes while riding. So haven't yet used them. :( But they do go over my glasses OK. They fit OK. I am hopeful. :)

I have over the years had mild tinted lenses and photochromic - ended up disliking both.

Meant to say - a lot cheaper than prescription sunglasses. And having had a serious eye infection, I have been advised never to wear contact lenses ever again.

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I use these, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockBros-Cycling-Ride-Outdoor-Polarized-Glasses-Sunglasses-Goggles-5-Lenses/351757627398?_trkparms=aid=555019&algo=PL.BANDIT&ao=1&asc=20151005190705&meid=8f2825812d4b4e6d99c619d35b97b129&pid=100506&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=351757627398&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226
A multitude of lenses to chose from and more importantly, not seen in the initial discripsion you get " inner frame for shortsighted lenses" translates into a sub frame behind the main lens for your prescription lenses :cool:
Personally I fitted lenses from an old pr of glasses to mine but it shouldn't be expensive to get a basic no frills pr of lenses fitted.

Reactions: oyster

Roberticus

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2018
Rotherham
I've a pair of BBB BSG-49 reader sunglasses from Merlin cycles.
Handy for reading in the garden when it's sunny as well !
Sorry can't do a link to Merlin

Reactions: oyster

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I know quite a few older people who refuse to admit that their eyesight is not exactly failing but isnt what it was. They seem to go to great lengths to pretend that they don't have a problem but can't read anything without putting some readers on, having to hold things at arms length or almost touching their nose, or have to look over the top of their cheap of the shelf readers to be able to see past their noses. Over the last 30 years my eyes have gradually become more long sighted and less flexible so I have gone from single lens to bifocals and now varyfocal. The varyfocal was a dificult step and took some time for my brain to adjust but now I wear them all the time and it's almost like I don't wear glasses at all. I use the same glasses for reading, walking, driving, drinking.... in fact everything..
I would advise visiting a good optition, taking their advice and stick with the glasses.. your brain has had a lifetime of viewing the world through fading eyes and just needs time to adjust to the correction. When I got my first varyfocal it was like walking uphill all the time and navihating steps were a dizzy nightmare.. but a week or so later I sort of realised it wasn't bothering me any more and everything looked normal.
My view is that eyesight is like all other age related health issues in that it's a gradual deteriation that often goes unnoticed and glasses are sometimes perceived as a weakness or sign of aging..

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I wear prescription sunglass reading glasses when I go fishing. I had them made without polarization so I can also read maps on my tablet thingy. I have special treatment on my polarized fishing sunglasses which allows me to see about 4-5 metres underwater :)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Don't use a helmet for leisure cycling. Photoreaction prescription glasses . Occasionally bright sunshine and dappled hedges can cause deep shadows so tipping the head to see over the rims works..

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I know quite a few older people who refuse to admit that their eyesight is not exactly failing but isnt what it was. They seem to go to great lengths to pretend that they don't have a problem but can't read anything without putting some readers on, having to hold things at arms length or almost touching their nose, or have to look over the top of their cheap of the shelf readers to be able to see past their noses.
I agree. Having had prescription glasses since about 8 or 9 years old, I don't have that barrier!

I'd also point out that some disorders can contribute to poor eyesight. One being hypothyroidism. In my view, deterioration of eyesight that includes focussing, poor low light vision, inability to tolerate bright lights (oncoming headlamps, reduced colour and 3D awareness, consider thyroid!

Mind, even now, I can do most things without wearing them. Television, theatre/cinema, driving/riding and viewing scenery/wildlife - yes. Rest of time, probably not wearing them.

Dom T

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolle-TRACPSI-Tracker-Safety-Goggles/dp/B003UGDQ66/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524737960&sr=8-4&keywords=bolle+safety+glasses
and then an insert of prescription glass wear.

http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk/p/4472252/bolle---tracker-ii-safety-spectacles-with-prescription-ready-rx-insert---clear-anti-scratch-anti-fog-lenses---en170-and-en1661ft-or-en1661b34-with-strap---bo-tracpsi-rx.html

Hubs has these I don't need the perscription bit, he couldn't get the varifocal part but he could get it for his short sighted bit. W

With the strap, very good for the price, we bought the smoked an yellow lense ones as well and all he does is pop out his insert and put it in the ones he wants to wear that day. Fogging only when we stop but vents away within seconds on getting going again. I get no tears when cold,cheap cheerful and work well.

Related Articles

Advertisers