goldenmotor kit.

aqs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2007
hi all,
just installed the kit its a 48v 500w rear with a 48v regen conttroller (i think) they dont give much info are back up support do you here me phil! anyhow connected 2 24 nimhs in series pluged in and then funny things happend the wires sort of melted,buzzing noises,batt indicater jumping from full to empty, the wheel is now lumpy to turn, have i done somthing fundamently wrong here this is my first bash is there a good site to go through the steps i could realy use some help here.
Thanks,
Al.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Someone asked for anyone knowing anything about these back at the beginning of July, but there were no answers then. Although I've heard of the product, I know nothing about them or their technical details. Most appear to be direct drive designs and seem to be personal import only in the UK.

If you can read French in technical matters, there's some limited mention of their technicalities on a French forum, but ultimately I think you'll have to depend on Goldenmotor.com to help you with this.

I do think it likely that there's some terminal damage to either the controller or motor windings though, judging from your description of events and the outcome.

aqs

Jul 13, 2007
golden 48v 500w rear.

flec'
I will keep serching for answers,this think cost to much if you get anything from the golden boys let me know!
Thanks
Al.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will do Al.

The only clue I can give for when you contact Goldenmotor is that you may have got the motor coil feed leads to the controller connected wrongly, creating a dead short.

Not knowing it's controller and connections I can't help, but they should be able to make it clear what goes where.

dc-bikes.com

Apr 27, 2009
Faulty Motor (s)?

Hello,

I have ordered on the internet a front wheel conversion kit 250 W. I haven't used my regular supplier as I wanted to test another supplier.
When I received the kit, I tested it and I found that the motor wires were getting really hot quickly as well as the controller. In addition the maximum motor speed with no load in it reached 8.8 mph only. In some instances as well the motor would not start except if I gave the wheel an initial push.
I hooked up a cycle analyst on it which measured a consumed power of in excess of 300 W at the same 8.8 mph again with no load.
I permutted motors and controllers with other kits I have and found the controller worked fine with other motors (from different supplier) whereas the motor behaved the same with controllers from other supplier.
So I reported the above to the supplier who agreed to send me another motor which I received yesterday.
I again did the same tests with the received motor and... same again. Wiring becomes very hot as well as controller and speed doesn't exceed 8 mph.
Both motors are freewheeling ok. There is a bit of a drag but nothing unusual compared to the other motors I have.
Supplier specifications calls for a "maximum speed between 9 to 15 mph with 75 kg load" so I can't believe those motors do not reach 9 mph with no load and I find the heat as well disturbing.
I have difficulty believing both motors could be faulty. I start thinking maybe the controller supplied is not appropriate for the type of motor given. Or is there something obvious I missed?

Grateful for your help.

PS: the possibly faulty kit I am speaking about is not from Goldenmotor.

Kind regards,

dc-bikes

Last edited:

Bikemad

Aug 14, 2009
South Devon
hi all,
just installed the kit its a 48v 500w rear with a 48v regen conttroller (i think).
Hi everyone.

I joined this forum a few days ago, my account has now been validated :) and I'd like to try and help with this post.

Al, both of the following controllers support regen (dependant upon the battery used), which one do you have?

This one:

or this one:

Is there any chance you may have connected the battery the wrong way round as the coloured wires used are not always what you might expect?

You might want to visit goldenmotor.com - Forum and see if you can find an answer there.

Here's a useful tip:
Any emails you send to their sales guys should be kept short and simple as their English is not brilliant and It's more likely to be confusing to them it if the wording of your email is too complex.

Even I have trouble getting replies from them!
(I'm a global moderator for their forum - but that's another story!)

Alan

PerpetualMotion

May 18, 2010
Golden Motors at Ampedbikes.com

When I was doing some research about the different conversion kits available I came across this site which seems to use Golden Motor supplies.

The guy running this outfit seems determined to create good quality conversion kits by sourcing parts from different manufacturers in China that meet his specifications and requirements.

Mike

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Unfortunately he seems to make the same mistake as many other kit sellers by supplying inadequate battery's in the kits, 12Ah with a 25amp controller just doesn't cut it.

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
Unfortunately he seems to make the same mistake as many other kit sellers by supplying inadequate battery's in the kits, 12Ah with a 25amp controller just doesn't cut it.
Why not ? I have built a bike with a 25A controller and a 48.1V 9.9Ah battery. It works wonderfully, why shouldn't it ?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I didn't say it wouldn't work, 25amp draw from a 12ah battery which is probably rated for a 2 to 3C draw maximum will give short range and short battery life. Yours at 10ah with 25amp is even worse.

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
I didn't say it wouldn't work, 25amp draw from a 12ah battery which is probably rated for a 2 to 3C draw maximum will give short range and short battery life. Yours at 10ah with 25amp is even worse.
You're jumping to conclusions. Yes, for a 2C rated battery, it would not be a good solution. My 9.9Ah battery is rated for 10C continous and the voltage drop at full throttle (2.5C) is less than 5% (2.5V).

Battery capacity only is useless for such statements, you need to know what type of cells are inside too.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
You're jumping to conclusions. Yes, for a 2C rated battery, it would not be a good solution. My 9.9Ah battery is rated for 10C continous and the voltage drop at full throttle (2.5C) is less than 5% (2.5V).

Battery capacity only is useless for such statements, you need to know what type of cells are inside too.
Do any of you folks have any feedback as to what his direct drive hub motors are like , I mean for really smalls wheels like 8 " or 6 " ?

( Im, still waiting for my conformation mail from that forum , assuming someone there might know too )

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
hi all,
just installed the kit its a 48v 500w rear with a 48v regen conttroller (i think) they dont give much info are back up support do you here me phil! anyhow connected 2 24 nimhs in series pluged in and then funny things happend the wires sort of melted,buzzing noises,batt indicater jumping from full to empty, the wheel is now lumpy to turn, have i done somthing fundamently wrong here this is my first bash is there a good site to go through the steps i could realy use some help here.
Thanks,
Al.
The wheel being lumpy to turn may be two of the three phase wire's[thicker usually]going to motor shorting. I recently experienced this while fitting a wheel and noticed if any two of the three wires short it has a braking effect on motor. This happens without any power connected. Try disconnecting hub wiring and see if hub free's up.
If there is a short it may well be the cause of the reduced speed and heat generation.
Also try a continuity test on hub wiring in case short is inside hub.

Last edited: