Goop or Slime!!!!!!

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
<i>Just to add, Tesco sell 26 inch tubes for £1.85</i>

I am not saying these are rubbish because I just do not know, but I have had bad experiences with cheap inner tubes in the past. With Continental tubes costing about £5, and slime filled around £8, this is one area where I just don't think it is worth penny pinching.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
The Tesco price per tube is around the same as the Aldi price per tube in a box of two. I've been acquring some recently (well, it seemed rude not too, as they look like good quality) and will fit a couple of them sometime soon. I've not heard any bad things about them so far.

Hansen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2011
Denmark
I have tried Slime in a tube that I had patched.

I had suffered two punctures in a row, both on the side of the tube facing inwards toward the spokes, before it dawned on me that something was amiss. And sure enough, after I had removed the flimsy rubber ribbon, I noticed a metal splinter on the rim where the drill had been pulled out. Almost like a cat’s tooth.

A Dremel tool and an expensive rim ribbon from Schwalbe, made from a synthetic material, was the cure. The patched up tube held the air nicely. About a month later I came across a bottle of Slime from my motorcycle and decided to give a try. Three months and some 900 kilometres went by without incident, when I suddenly had a slow loss of air. It turned out that the Slime must have dissolved the vulcanizing solution on the patch and had formed what looked like a vein leading to the edge of the patch. Some of the green stuff had oozed out as well. No other punctures were visible. I did not try to save the tube, but discarded it.

The Kenda tyre, that came with my Sunlova kit specifies 85 psi maximum and I ride with 8o psi or thereabouts.

So the lesson I learned: Use Slime in an un-patched or new tube, not in patched one