Gravel Bikes

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was going to post that :(... :)

Now Bosch is scared silly! 4.4 kg battery included, 50-34 road compact double chainring...

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I
It has been 35+ years since I last rode a drop handle bar bike however the gravel bike is more multiuse and sounds ideal for more off road use as on the Downs I see them bombing along.
I frequently see them as well, but bear in mind the majority of riders are only just out of nappies, and are super fit. Also bear in mind the CX style bikes are very prone to pinch flats when used on the harsh flint conditions of SD.

I was giving this, or rather you, some thought this evening when I was out on the Giant Advanced XCT Plus 1 mtb, which runs an 11 speed 1x set up of 11-42 rear and 32t front.

Tonight's ride was just 8 miles long with an elevation gain of 1,100ft, but it was still enough to make think that I wouldn't want anything higher in respect of gearing, especially if I were to ride on the SD. I don't hardly ever use the 42t rear ratio, but did find my self using it a few times tonight during some particularly muddy climbs. The bike is certainly a rocket to ride, and I really love the 1x set up.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for the input Eddie.
The Evans Arkose I have been thinking of has TL rims and tyres though they are tubed, I would definitely go down the TL route for lower psi and to loose the pinch's.
Gearing wise as I ride road to get to places 1 X will be no use to me so 2 x 11/36 & 48/32 is what I would go with.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
2x11 or 2x10 with Di2 shifting is way to go if you have budget.
Thanks for the input Eddie.
The Evans Arkose I have been thinking of has TL rims and tyres though they are tubed, I would definitely go down the TL route for lower psi and to loose the pinch's.
Gearing wise as I ride road to get to places 1 X will be no use to me so 2 x 11/36 & 48/32 is what I would go with.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I parted with a few £££'s and picked up my G bike yesterday from Evan's in fetching Matt deep sky blue. Main theme of this bike is Blue :rolleyes:, have a blue saddle on the CX bike so will move this across, tyre vales blue, front bar bag I have seen is blue even my Shimano pac-a-mac is blue.
Fitted my cleaned and greased up spd's with platform's on one side and Sigma wireless handle bar pooter.

Probably need to do a few mods, one is likely to change the rear cassette gearing from 11/34 to a 12/36 or 12/40 set up, gearing is 2 x 10 with sub compact 32/48 chain ring.
Rims are WTB TCS (Tubeless compatible system) but tyres aren't TCS, guy at Evan's thinks I may get away using them as tubeless. Will give it a go if not I shall have to get a pair of TCS/TL tyres, have rim tape, valves and sealant. My only worry is the tyre burping at lower psi as the bead is different so may just buy the right tyres and use the originals on my work/town bike.
Only other extras I need is a light medium size front handle bar bag for my camera and a few nic naks and a tail seat bag for my tools/spares, pump, pac-a-mac and food.
Also was tempted by the Fabric frame less bottles in another thread so two clear/blue one on the way.
Hopefully this will all come in at about 12.5 - 13kg all up weight., currently weighed at 10.4kg.

Tis reason why I asked about Heli tape in t'other thread.

If it stops raining may find time for a pic tomorrow, though not a leccy bike it is in the right place in the charging post forum of this thread.

Last edited:

Advertisers