Reviewer: Bode

Purchased From: Electric Transport Shop, Cambridge

Purchase Price: £800 (Now £990)

Time Owned: Four weeks

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills / Very Hilly

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Feels solid and comfortable.
Plenty of power even on steep hills (with modest pedal assistance).
Lower gears (assisting motor) coped with all hills (up to 1 in 4) without problem or sweat.
Full-width throttle grip — I don't like those thumb-and-forefinger types.
Full-power/economy switch (though a third - "power off" - option would have been welcome).
Ability to start from standstill without pedalling, if needed (can be useful in traffic).
Rear hub motor, which I feel makes for better weight distribution and road-holding.
Convenient position of gear change control (lever and button variety, which I had not encountered before, but which I now prefer).
I usually get about 20 miles from the battery on full power and with much use of the throttle. If I ride more economically, and use the half-power setting, I get several more miles.

Weaknesses:
Highest gear not really high enough to avoid "pedalling air" at speed.
Position of lock means key tends to get bent, presumably by heel contact - I have positioned a small bracket to protect it.
No means of clipping folded bike together — I use a strap, which works, but is a little irritating.
Hardly any height adjustment to original handlebars. Have had faulty stems replaced twice (under warranty), the second time with a different design, which gives more height too.

Summary:
So far this bike has done everything I wanted, and is the best electric folder that I have tried ( and I have now tried a good many). A great improvement over the first Blackstar model, which had one gear. This has a Shimano 6-speed derailleur, plus one or two more additions, like proper folding (as opposed to detachable) handlebars, and an economy switch.

I was slightly worried about buying a bike that no-one else on these forums seems to have bought, and from a new importer, but I feel I have received excellent support from them (rather than the retailer) when I had a problem (not their fault; more details elsewhere).

There are some more details about the purchase on this thread: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/3165-i-bought-green-edge-blackstar.html
After about 10 months, I fitted a pedelec sensor cutout switch. Details here:http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4398-pedelec-cutout-switch.html?highlight=pedelec+cutout+switch

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8

Attachments

Last edited:

IzzyB

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2007
Greenedge Blackstar 2

Dear Bode,

Thanks for your review of the Greenedge Blackstar 2.

Can this bike be used with full throttle, i.e. no pedalling? This is important to me as I have limited leg power, and want to upgrade from a pedelec to a bike with full throttle capacity.

Are you still happy with yours?

thanks,
IzzyB

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Sorry not to have replied before, but have only just spotted your post.

You can use the bike on throttle only; in fact I have fitted a switch to enable me to turn off the pedelec funtion when I want to. However, although it will whizz me along unassisted on the flat and on slight inclines, it will require pedalling on hills to help the motor - like most ebikes. I estimate that the motor probably contributes about two-thirds of the effort on most hills.

And yes, I am still very happy with it and using it regularly; I did 27 miles yesterday.