Greetings

Hillbilly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2016
Just bought an electric bike so thought I'd better join your community to educate myself and yes I realise I've probably done this the wrong way round. Basically I've been cycling for nearly 60 years, off and on to work but for the last few years have been carrying a mountain bike in back of car ( with quick release wheel removed) and just cycling places visited from where car parked. Been thinking therefore of extending this range with elec bike for a while so liked the idea when I saw it of a folding mountain bike with a hub motor. Didn't want to risk spending over £1k putting my toe in water so bought a demo cheap after I tried out and so far been very impressed with the experience.
I won't be doing anything very challenging and the frame seems more than robust enough for my purposes. I know I've taken a bit of risk with a cheap Chinese model so I don't have high expectations of the hub motor lasting but thought I could always replace the hub motor wheel with a non- electric one off my other bikes and revert back conventional pedal power without any great loss. I do wonder though whether these rear wheels with hub motor might get mass produced and decent quality ones emerge at economical cost. Do these already exist - is there a standard interchangeable rear hub motor wheel.
Apologies for ignorance - I'm new to this game.

Last edited: