Grenfell Tower

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
CCTV is inaccurate because of blind spots, areas of no coverage, access & egress routed out of view etc. Add in the factor of counting the same person twice due to it being impossible to positively identify each and every single person moving around, and CCTV is very inaccurate. It's ok for tracking an individual or small group, but no use for this purpose. Mobile telephone analysis is equally vague, usually giving a radius around a mast of anywhere between a few hundred metres and several kilometres. If you are lucky you might get a 120 degree arc and a range, but that's not the norm. It's not as easy as it looks in the telly crime dramas. So, CCTV and mobile phone analysis isn't going to provide an answer.

Human remains within the building, if there are any, will provide the most accurate estimate of fatalities. It's going to be a fingertip type search of every corner and I don't know if the building is safe enough for teams to go in and search to that level of detail. If the structure has been weakened by the heat, it may be in danger of collapsing.

The council will have records of who is registered to live there, so ticking them off the dead or alive list will be a piece of cake. It's the ones who where in there as guests, or living there illegally, that will be hard to count.
In a final analysis, and presumably after a number of months, the number of identifiable bodies will be determined. However that is months into the future. A count of the current missing , presumed dead should be published. Do you not find the absence of comment from the media surprising?. The only figure I have found is that by today 700k had been dispersed ,as stated in parliament at 5.k5 per person., This could mean 350 survivors.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
In a final analysis, and presumably after a number of months, the number of identifiable bodies will be determined. However that is months into the future. A count of the current missing , presumed dead should be published. Do you not find the absence of comment from the media surprising?. The only figure I have found is that by today 700k had been dispersed ,as stated in parliament at 5.k5 per person., This could mean 350 survivors.
Yes, there is no reason not to publish the number of people currently reported to the Police as missing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the police say 58 residents are on their missing people list.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, this is Wales..............Jones
Actually I nearly typed that, but then hesitated, thinking it might be thought somewhat racist. So I stuck to the usual context of Smith.

See, I do care about other's feelings, even those of Welsh people! :D

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I thought a figure of around 70 people (expected to rise) had been published. I honestly don't think they can say anything else. I don't think anything sinister or underhand is taking place, but I accept that I could be wrong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought a figure of around 70 people (expected to rise) had been published. I honestly don't think they can say anything else. I don't think anything sinister or underhand is taking place, but I accept that I could be wrong.
The police figure of 79 was for missing and known dead at that time.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Actually I nearly typed that, but then hesitated, thinking it might be thought somewhat racist. So I stuck to the usual context of Smith.

See, I do care about other's feelings, even those of Welsh people! :D
Relax, The Welsh are well able to take care of themselves and find the English PC attitudes rather patronising.
(Anyway Flecc, do you have Welsh, or Welsh Italian connections?)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In a connected matter, Prince Harry has been protesting about his being in the TV publicised funeral procession for his mother at just 12 years old, saying he didn't think it would happen today.

I'm afraid he's wrong, seen on TV the funeral procession for the first Grenfell victim with family present had a little lad in shorts of probably under 9 years old immediately following the hearse.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Given today's revelation.....well, I think most people familiar with fire deaths would have realised this is often how the victims actually die already, can we expect to see some police action against a range of individuals who may be criminally culpable in this affair?

19401801_1484423991578732_4625823985500262181_o.jpg

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Relax, The Welsh are well able to take care of themselves and find the English PC attitudes rather patronising.
(Anyway Flecc, do you have Welsh, or Welsh Italian connections?)
I know they do and I also get annoyed about PC, but I still try to tread lightly online where there could be sensitivity.

I don't know of any Welsh connection in my family, my father Italian with parents both Italian nationals and my mother Anglo-Scot since her mother was Scottish. Her father's name was Baker, very English and he was London born.

My friend in my last primary school was Welsh. We lost touch at 11 years old when only I passed the scholarship and went to grammar school while he got shipped into the private Canford School.

By an odd coincidence he was being interviewed recently about some of his life on a BBC Radio 4 PM program that I was listening to. A big gap from 11 to 81 years old for both of us!

Reactions: Woosh

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I know they do and I also get annoyed about PC, but I still try to tread lightly online where there could be sensitivity.

I don't know of any Welsh connection in my family, my father Italian with parents both Italian nationals and my mother Anglo-Scot since her mother was Scottish. Her father's name was Baker, very English and he was London born.

My friend in my last primary school was Welsh. We lost touch at 11 years old when only I passed the scholarship and went to grammar school while he got shipped into the private Canford School.

By an odd coincidence he was being interviewed recently about some of his life on a BBC Radio 4 PM program that I was listening to. A big gap from 11 to 81 years old for both of us!
It is just that many Welsh have Italian connections.
My late wife looked Italian as do her sisters and brother, but she did not know of any ancestry, even though her father looked like a Mafia Godfather!
Visiting Italian restaurants, the Italian waitresses would look at her and assume that she was Italian. That said, many Welsh are quite swarthy, brown eyed, black hair.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That said, many Welsh are quite swarthy, brown eyed, black hair.
Similar in Scotland, and I think it may have been a factor in so many Italians settling in Wales and Scotland. Either a conscious or subconscious awareness of fitting in.

In a connected way, many Eastern European Jewish immigrants of swarthy appearance adopted Scottish names since that suited their appearance. A notable, possibly notorious, example being Jan Ludwig Hoch who was known in England as Robert Maxwell.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Given today's revelation.....well, I think most people familiar with fire deaths would have realised this is often how the victims actually die already, can we expect to see some police action against a range of individuals who may be criminally culpable in this affair?

View attachment 19858

Tom
the cyanide comes from high temperature decomposition of polyisocyanurate that is used to make the insulation panels. Who do you think is/are to blame for this?
TM and her ministers?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's been speculation in here that people in the upper floors of Grenfell Tower are unlikely to have got out and that the death rate will be much higher as a result.

I haven't agreed with that for various reasons. For example we know that some upper floor residents were out, London being the 24 hour city that it is, and returned to see the tower on fire. We also know of a family on an upper floor who were alerted by telephone and got out.

Now I have information on the people of another upper floor, the 17th. Mesrob Kassemdjian, a popular lecturer at UCC (University Centre Croydon) and known as Robbie to his students was a resident on that floor. He'd smelt smoke, looked out and saw fire below, so he alerted his girl friend and aunt who were staying with him and they then alerted the neighbours. Making their way downstairs their neighbours were heard right behind them and all got out unhurt.

Of course he's lost everything including his extensive book collection, but UCC's Criminology Department are organising a fund raiser for him to replace his book collection.

Reactions: oldtom and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
did he find much smoke inside the staircase?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
did he find much smoke inside the staircase?
It seems not a lot, for when he went out into the hall and stair area to check the lifts he said he smelt smoke there but didn't mention seeing any.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The fire service people I,ve spoken with ( one of whom is an investigator) is quite convinced of two things.
a) Real death toll is much higher than currently reported.
b) The temperatures reached in the flats ( even with a cursory study of pictures its obvious temp was very high) will have destroyed much,if not all, of any human evidence.
I don't think we will ever know the real number, the police are now saying there could be significantly more..

In theory, if fire doors are closed, the single staircase should stay smoke free and will have had extra fire protection. Inadequate as they have proved there are regs about time,distance from single stairs and regs about it being kept fire,smoke free as long as possible.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It is just that many Welsh have Italian connections.
My late wife looked Italian as do her sisters and brother, but she did not know of any ancestry, even though her father looked like a Mafia Godfather!
Visiting Italian restaurants, the Italian waitresses would look at her and assume that she was Italian. That said, many Welsh are quite swarthy, brown eyed, black hair.
.. is that why the Welsh can sing and actually hold a note??

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It seems not a lot, for when he went out into the hall and stair area to check the lifts he said he smelt smoke there but didn't mention seeing any.
Hi flecc, just a minor correction to my previous posting, the colleague of my daughter referred to is actually from the grenfell tower building itself and did get out without any possessions of course. So her comments about the stronger community bonds within the building have added value!

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers