Had another crack at Ilkley Moor (Down, not up)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you set the forks rebound faster then you can push down b4 a bunni hop to help lift the bike off the floor.

i can get a bit higher but not much at all tbh bikes just to heavy even at 20kg.

no idea on the video as mine is same b4 and after i upload it?

• Disagree
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
video looks as good as mine just now and then goes a bit blurred and mine does the same thing.

• Dislike

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Fit a set of Fox 36 Talas RC2 and you can hit anything you want:cool:

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Not at all, my last two sets cost below £150 and are a major improvement over the flexi Factory 34 CTD ones as fitted to my Nukeproof Mega AM
DSC02554.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what psi do you have in the fork as it dont look like its moving much tbh also try less psi in the tyre as will give more grip but more likely to get pinch flats with tubes.

not much point in more sus travel if its not set up right in the first place you will just have to play around with it ;)

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
[QUOTETyre Is about 25.[/QUOTE]

I do hope you're tubeless at that psi

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
more air will make it even more harsh esp if the rebound is high as will act like a super fast spring over jumps n bumps and not move much but keep in contact with the floor and will just kill ur wrists over time.

if you have 140mm of travel you want to be using all of it high psi in the fork and fast rebound as well will just make it worse off road.

on road then will prob feel just fine but its how you like to ride tbh.

the fox 36 forks are cheap for 26inc but 27.5 800 quid

I do hope you're tubeless at that psi

nope, i have tried lol ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the max is 200 psi so yes 150 is high if you also have the rebound on near fast it will not move much at all so just adjust it and the psi to what you like.

if you go down hill at speed and dont have it set up right it can and will send you over the handle bars.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Gubbins, it is preload that you require to bunny hop, not rebound! You preload the forks using your arms/body as you initiate the movement, and rebound has no relevance, other than from your own pulling back of the bars.

Can you imagine having to stop to adjust rebound settings every time that you want to go over an obstacle, then stopping and adjusting the rebound again because it is then set too harshly/softly and incorrectly for riding there after and between.

You should also find that the bikes weight doesn't really make a significant difference, and it simply comes down to good technique and practice. This is especially true, given that you have an electric motor to assist with the initial lift. Riding through the plantations that I do, with many fallen trees, or wood that has just been left to rot, bunny hopping forms a major part of the riding. You will get it in the end.

I'll try and find you a decent clip demonstrating the technique a little later.

edit.. That didn't take long to find one, and as usual Seth makes it looks second nature. Note that the clip continues after the 2.03 point. I would add to Seth's clip by saying that a certain amount of speed is also of great help, as is practicing over curbs in a car park.

You could also bump jump the bike, which is something that I tend to do when I don't have enough speed for a full bunny hop to carry you over an obstacle, or the ground below is so soft that an adequate bunny hop can't be produced. Perhaps not recommended for a tube set up.

Ref your front forks, if they are working for you as they are, why mess with them? If you aren't happy with them, then use the online 'guide' by Fox. You can't take advice when the person giving it doesn't know your weight, riding conditions, terrain, or speed. If things still aren't working out for you, just take a shock pump out on a ride and play with the settings. Make a note of the settings prior to doing so though, as you will always then have a reference to return to.

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Gubbins, it is preload that you require to bunny hop, not rebound! You preload the forks using your arms/body as you initiate the movement, and rebound has no relevance, other than from your own pulling back of the bars.

Can you imagine having to stop to adjust rebound settings every time that you want to go over an obstacle, then stopping and adjusting the rebound again because it is then set too harshly/softly and incorrectly for riding there after and between.

You should also find that the bikes weight doesn't really make a significant difference, and it simply comes down to good technique and practice. This is especially true, given that you have an electric motor to assist with the initial lift. Riding through the plantations that I do, with many fallen trees, or wood that has just been left to rot, bunny hopping forms a major part of the riding. You will get it in the end.

I'll try and find you a decent clip demonstrating the technique a little later.

edit.. That didn't take long to find one, and as usual Seth makes it looks second nature. Note that the clip continues after the 2.03 point. I would add to Seth's clip by saying that a certain amount of speed is also of great help, as is practicing over curbs in a car park.

Ref your front forks, if they are working for you as they are, why mess with them? If you aren't happy with them, then use the online 'guide' by Fox. You can't take advice when the person giving it doesn't know your weight, riding conditions, terrain, or speed. If things still aren't working out for you, just take a shock pump out on a ride and play with the settings. Make a note of the settings prior to doing so though, as you will always then have a reference to return to.
Now they look like Heavy bikes!!! Does one presume he could do that on my 20KG ebike?
On a more serous note..
Common sense suggests that to avoid the rear overtaking the front vertically you need to make the front lighter just before the obstacle. Coming down that track quickly its a bit risky braking hard enough to compress the forks, but thats what I am doing with a bum shift rearwards and a tug on the bars at the point of impact.

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
are you using flat pedals or clipped in

your suspension should be good enough for those rain bars if not set too hard
I had an attempt at the Kom on strava going down there a couple of weeks ago on the Fatbike but families and kids meant I needed to slow down twice

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'd imagine so.

And this one answers your comment directly. He even passes comment on idiots such as SW and the like.

I think idiot is a strong word for someone who doesnt conform to what the majority think is right and proper... I would say eccentric?.... in a dongly sort of voice...[emoji605]

• Disagree

Related Articles

Advertisers