HAIBIKE EQ Trekking, 2500km Review

AntonL

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2011
Exactly 3 month ago I took delivery of a HAIBIKE EQ Trekking, this weekend I clocked 2500km or just over 1500miles. Let me share some of my experiences here.

The very first modification I did to the bike was to buy a wider saddle, I have never liked those thin saddles that split my **** apart.

Initially being overweight, unfit and nearly 60 years old, the electric assist really made cycling enjoyable. Initially, I found that the 'tour' setting was the ideal to get me moving using all three levels on a ride. Three months later, having lost over 20kg and much fitter I only use 'eco-1' that is 30% assist and then only to flatten the steepest hills, most of the the journey electric assist is switched off, thus a 75km ride (nearly 50 miles) is completed with four bars showing just before I reach home. That ride also had a near 1000metre elevation gain. In September a Portsmouth to Chichister and back, nearly the same distance only had two bars remaining so more than 60% of the battery was drained, but that route in comparison is as flat as a pancake but I used electric assist (eco 1) all the way.

I am pleased to report that I have not experienced any major problems. The bosh system is performing the same day in day out.

I only had some wear and tear problems. The front disk pads needed sudden replacing (the spring that keeps the pads apart got damaged in the calipers), and that was a slight problem there are no UK stockist for the required Tektro pads. James from Just e-bikes from Justebikes.co.uk | UK e-bike Sales | Electric bike sales and servicing also had no stock but he got me going by sending me pads he took from a bike in his store - thankyou. I do not know if the they stock these pads now but I found replacement pads on the German market Kool Stop D735. So all EQ Trekking 2011 owners be warned, we might be the only cycles in the UK that uses the Tektro Voltans braking system, the 2012 model uses a different brake type. I have found that the brakes pads wear unevenly (cone shaped). As the brake is applied the pad is jammed against the caliper, so that side cannot close as much as the other side which is free. To extend the life I now turn the pads around so that the conic wear is reduced.

A other problem I had was with the back mudguard. On the inside of the mudguard the wiring for the back light is routed. On regular intervals what I call butterflies are riveted to the inside of the mudguard that hold the electric cable in a sleeve. Well, on two occasions something got drawn into the mudguard and snagged the butterflies bending the cable support such that it snagged the tire. The only cure was to cut the bent part and glue the cable to the inside of the mudguard.

A problem in the developing is possibly with the chain and the cassette on the back, I cannot fully load the two smallest gears, the chain sometimes jumps, as it is not the derailleur alignment, I suspect the chain is stretched/worn, remembering that I now weigh 105kg plus the power of the bosh system put a lot of strain on the chain and gears.

All in all the bike is good fun, draws a lot of interest, and gives sadistic pleasures by overtaking a Chinese electric bike on a uphill, sitting upright, one hand on the handlebars and the other holding an apple that one is just enjoying (needles to say 'speed 3' that is 250% assist). I have not regretted buying this bike.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Anton, I have had a couple of similar issues to yourself with my Haibike. The Tektro Auriga Pro pads on the front were replaced early on, the exact equivalent are Shimano Deore sized so easy to get hold of, I can't remember the brand but I've not had a problem since with them. Also the front brake had a horrendous squeal which I fixed by tightening all the carrier bolts and making sure that the front wheel is aligned correctly in the front forks, my front wheel is on and off the bike about twice a week as I transport it place to place in the back of a car.

I've not done as much mileage as yourself, approaching 900Km, but 80% of this has been hard mountain bike trails, the bike has had a rough time (and it's designed for it). My chain will jump off the front ring in a certain situation, usually when hitting a bump with the rear wheel whilst still pedalling. I've attempted adjustments to ensure that the chain tension is correct but I currently conclude that because the front has a single chain ring and therefore no derrailleur gear then when the chain jumps, lifts off the cogs and the crank rotates, that the chain will be dislodged, whereas on a multichainwheel MTB the derrailleur arm would help to keep the chain on the ring and maybe wouldn't jump off the chainring(s). It only seems to happen when pedalling at the same time as hitting a bump.

I'll need to contact James to ask if this has been raised as an issue, but I'm guessing that most owners won't be riding off-road as much so there won't be many reports and strangely enough it really only happens when my riding style turns aggressive in order to keep up with my mates! So I've only just noticed it as a problem, will have to monitor it.

Apart from that the bike is fantastic, solidly built and able to handle anything I've thrown at it so far! I use Eco 1 nearly all the time for the training benefit, but I'm so glad that I can pump it up to get me up some of the hills, especially when my mates end up walking their bikes up ;)

AntonL

Just Joined
Oct 6, 2011
OK my eq-Trekking is back from the local bike shop, chain was stretched and the SRAM cassette was destroyed, held together by friction only. The 11 tooth sprocket was broken, a tooth missing from the 13 sprocket and the whole thing came apart when removed as some of the pins holding it together were missing. With my present weight of 105kg and the added power from the bosh system left its toll.

Furthermore, the bike shop told me that they needed to adjust the derraileur hanging was not true to the wheel, the derrailleur was not aligned vertical, and had to be adjusted. I had chain jumping since the beginning, now that it is adjusted, on a strenuous ride today, with new chain and cassette, it never jumped, the drive felt amazingly solid - different to what it was before.