Haibike Yamaha - battery replacement options

doomo

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2016
Cambs
No, I always carry the spare and only change it if the conditions are tough. This morning with an 18mph headwind I had to change it. I had 37% left of the big one and 46% of the smaller one. The ride home with same tailwind I will probably just use the big one and have around 35% left or thereabouts. In the past with just the smaller battery I wouldn't have bothered riding in given the conditions (unpleasantly slow slog).

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Does anyone know if the yamaha haibike charger plug and battery port is a standard electrical connection that can be purchased separately?
Cheers

Robert Gardner

Just Joined
Feb 2, 2018
York
Does anyone know if the yamaha haibike charger plug and battery port is a standard electrical connection that can be purchased separately?
Cheers
Hi did you manage to find out an answer to this? My Yamaha charger plug is broken and I would rather replace the plug than charger. Cherrs

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Cheers
I think you're out of luck.
I've not tried searching in earnest myself, but a quick search some months ago came across some very keen Germans who were asking the same question and the conclusion they came to was Yamaha commissioned a connector manufacturer to make a custom/modified part, which you can't buy off the shelf, and it also seems difficult if not impossible to even get the part off Yamaha.
Not good. Especially as its not a particularly robust plug in the first place :-(

I'm sure the thread still exists out there (complete with pictures and manufacturer details), if you want to search. Google translate will be your friend though :)

Reactions: Earthskyouch20

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
I think you're out of luck.
I've not tried searching in earnest myself, but a quick search some months ago came across some very keen Germans who were asking the same question and the conclusion they came to was Yamaha commissioned a connector manufacturer to make a custom/modified part, which you can't buy off the shelf, and it also seems difficult if not impossible to even get the part off Yamaha.
Not good. Especially as its not a particularly robust plug in the first place :-(

I'm sure the thread still exists out there (complete with pictures and manufacturer details), if you want to search. Google translate will be your friend though :)

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Thanks for that, excellent reply. I am currently doing building work at a place that does electronics and their guys didn't recognise the plug. Shame as they said they'd swap it for me if I found one.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Thanks for that, excellent reply. I am currently doing building work at a place that does electronics and their guys didn't recognise the plug. Shame as they said they'd swap it for me if I found one.
I'm starting to remember a little more about the thread. Don't quote me on this, but I THINK one of them managed to buy a different (off the shelf) version of the plug, and modify it slightly so it did actually fit the socket.

I initially looked, as my Wife's yamaha charger plug fell apart and I thought I'd have to get a new one myself. Then I found how tricky it was to get a replacement, so I revisited the 'broken' plug, and managed to put it back together again.

It may be the strange locking mechanism that they use that's the 'custom' bit.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My own plug was broken when the bike was knocked over when left charging the battery on the bike at work. Whoever knocked the bike over never made themselves known to me although may not have realized that any damage had been done after righting the bike.

Ironically it was probably the fact that the plug locks in place that made it vulnerable to damage when the bike fell over. Part of the broken locking cap sheared off and remained lodged in the battery charging socket on the battery and remains there still.

Anyway I found that the plug could still be connected and the battery charged although no longer held and it could easily fall out.

I use a neoprene battery cover all of the time and when pushed down to partly cover the charging port this helps to hold the plug in place now. It can occasionally fall out now, but mostly works well enough.

I consider myself very lucky to have a room where I can leave my bike to charge at work and decided not to make a fuss about my broken plug. It did make me realize that the plug is definitely not the most robust design.

Another issue I had with my charger was that wires from the end that connects to the plug became frayed close to where the cable enters the charger inside the outer casing that led to a short circuit and loud bang and a dead charger. Luckily the fuse protected the charger and I was able to use insulating tape to effect a repair and after replacing the fuse it all worked again.

I carry my charger to work with me in my panniers and the connecting wires are wrapped around the charger to put it in a pannier and unwrapped to charge the battery when I arrive at work and this constant wrapping and unwrapping may not have helped.

Last edited:

Miller

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 26, 2018
united kingdom
Just got the NX Li Ion 36v 13Ah 468w Yamaha battery from Amazon and it is way more efficient in the real world than the 400w with the maths saying by 17%... Also, I can now sometimes carry the other one as a spare for long journeys... Early days but so far impressed and looking forward to some longer rides.
IMG_2585.JPG

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Yes definitely. So far so good I just hope it lasts. To be honest if it only lasted a year (which the warranty is for) then at that price I'd still feel it gave it's monies worth.
Hi Doomo, purchased battery from Allbatteries end of January, it came fully charged so I used all its charge and then recharged, bit now won't power the motor, and screen shows all the symbols then shuts down. Battery shows full charge on its indicator. Have you experienced any problems with yours?

Aaron R

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2017
Australia
Hi Doomo, purchased battery from Allbatteries end of January, it came fully charged so I used all its charge and then recharged, bit now won't power the motor, and screen shows all the symbols then shuts down. Battery shows full charge on its indicator. Have you experienced any problems with yours?

My same battery did exact same as you describe. It lasted 2 months, and then did exactly what yours does now.

Aaron

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
My same battery did exact same as you describe. It lasted 2 months, and then did exactly what yours does now.

Aaron
Hmmm. I wonder if its a problem with the main power connectors.
Did you take the battery on and off for charging a lot?
And what was the outcome - did you get it fixed replaced?

Related Articles

Advertisers