Hallo from Warwickshire

Astrobint

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2017
Warwickshire
Hi everyone,

Total noob to the world of electric cycles here. I've been looking at battery assisted tricycles mostly. I've seen a couple that I'd consider my "dream trikes" like the Van Raam Easy Rider, but of course they have a price tag to match of £5500+. My alternative options are between £1000-£3000 but I'm torn between trading off size against weight too - getting a lighter weight aluminium framed one or a heavier steel framed folding one. I'm going to peruse the forum a bit more and have a think about what my basic spec / needs are before asking for some more advice. I look forward to picking your brains (as it were)! :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hase do a delta for 7500€ I don't know what they are smoking but I want some...

Your best bet is to get an adaptive tadpole trike and fit a kit to it (or have someone fit one).

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Why do you want a trike? What type do you need?

Astrobint

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2017
Warwickshire
Why do you want a trike? What type do you need?
The reason I want a trike and not a bike is because I have balance problems due to a complicated neurological condition. It also gives me metabolic issues resulting in fatigue, hence wanting electric assistance. I've a list of what I'm looking for so far:
  • Trike with handlebars
  • Either upright with optional backrest (may not be essential if I feel well enough balanced leaning into the handlebars) or semi recumbent style
  • As lightweight as possible
  • Ideally folding but still in two minds as to how important that is
  • Battery motor that can work to assist pedals but will also work without the pedals being used
  • Can cope with hills - it'll be mainly ridden on canal towpaths
  • Space to put some shopping
That's all I can think of for now. The ones I've looked at are Di Blasi R34 because they fold nice and small. But is quite heavy and apparently you have to pedal for the electric assist to work.

The Van Raam Easy Rider which unfortunately doesn't fold but has a semi recumbent shape which looks very supportive and comfortable. But price is extortionate and they seem to be only overseas so I could try one out.

Some of the Jorvik trikes look nice - I like the look of the larger wheels and they have good basket size for shopping. They fold too which might be helpful for getting them into the boyf's car or onto my boat (I live aboard so space is a premium). Again they seem quite heavy which is why I've also been looking at their aluminium trikes. But I'm undecided on the pros and cons of any of them.

I'm sure there are lots of other makes and models that might meet my spec but I've just not heard of them yet. I'm happy to hear some ideas and take some advice. :)