hello from a flykly owner in London

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Unfortunately there is no standard for specifying assist distance, as there are many variables, if you pedal a lot you will get there stated range if not you won't, it is something that badly needs standardizing.
I think the stated 12wh power usage stated in this thread is a bit on the high side (for a legal bike) I get about that with no pedal assist and 350m climbing over a ride, guestimating I would think 8 Wh/m would be more realistic with pedalling

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
My watt mile range varies from 14+ watts to as little as 6 watts.
The worse is on a cheap heavy bike. The best on a high quality crank drive.
A little assistance can go a long way if. The bike is good in the first place, the speed is moderate and you pedal too
But use throttle and flat tyres then you could end up at +20 watt miles. The sort of usage the Americans get on there high powered gear.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Woosh Big Bears make very comfortable commuters. The stepthrough one is like riding an armchair. It has substantially more assist power than yours. It'll probably get you to work and back at a reasonable speed without even pedalling. The Ezee and Kudos nikes are pretty good too

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

Maverick_biker

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2015

automatik

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2015
in the end, I contacted Flykly who advised me to buy another charger. did so and have been very careful with it since. haven't had more issues, but I agree, it's very easy to damage them.

Maverick_biker

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2015
So you had to pay another US $200 for a charger? 1/3 rd of the whole bike?
How fast did they ship? Any extra shipping or customs?

since the electricity is on the middle pin(6) you can't damage anything just make sure you line up the rest of the pins as well. I marked it with tipex and now it works -->-|-<--

automatik

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2015
I see. Yeah, I wasn't impressed with their reply and I confess it put me off using the flykly for a while. It took a few weeks to arrive, shipping and customs was included if I recall correctly.
Wish I knew about this 'hack' before, would have saved me $200....
I suppose flykly were more interested in making $200 than giving me information that would make me feel good about my purchase. Won't be buying anything from them again.

Maverick_biker

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2015
I took a voltage meter and consulted with a friend who is an electrician to figure this one out.

One more thing, first plug the charger in the wheel and then connect the charger to the power outlet, to avoid accidentally shortcutting the pins on the flykly wheel. I hope this will save some other poor FlyKLy customers with twisted pins some $200, like it did for me.

good luck