Hello from Essex

NeilJ

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Essex
Hi there I'm Neil,
I'm a wheelchair user and as such I am unable to ride a bike so hadn't paid much attention to Ebikes until a few years ago when I thought maybe I could chop the front off the bike and stick it on the front of the wheelchair! After a bit of internet searching I found that this idea did in fact exist but they were a phenomenal price so decided to have a go at sorting it out for myself.
To cut long stories short for the past 3 years I've been using a nearly all surfaces wheelchair (doesn't like sand) up and down old railway lines, across fields etc accompanying friends who are on their bikes which is just amazing to be able to do.
The time has now come to upgrade and build a new front end so advice on that would be appreciated.
What is the best part of the forum to post about this in?
Thanks, Neil.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I notice that both of those wheelchair conversion kits feature direct drive motors. Unless I'm missing something, there's certainly an argument that geared motors would be better for the task due to their ability to freewheel when propelling the wheelchair with your arms.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

NeilJ

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Essex
Thanks for the links.
I think you are right it looks like it is just controlled by the joystick thing and you wouldn't be able to push by hand, and it's probably slow!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the forum Neil, I think you may already know of Team Hybrid who were pioneers in adding power to wheelchairs and handcycles. Link

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

NeilJ

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Essex
Thanks Flecc!
I have seen them, there seems to be a few companies now selling these.
Modern technology is certainly helping mobility, just a shame anything to do with a wheelchair costs an absolute fortune!

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks Flecc!
I have seen them, there seems to be a few companies now selling these.
Modern technology is certainly helping mobility, just a shame anything to do with a wheelchair costs an absolute fortune!
...... It is a case of charging what the market will bear (I might have said bare but don't want another of fleccs pictures). In this case the market is the local health authority with a bottomless(oh dear) budget.